Comic book moment of the year.

Stavros

Whats your favorite comic-book moment(s) of the year?

Right now, the Ultimate Spidey/Kitty Pryde getting together moment probably tops the list. Most of the momorable stuff has been negative (Superboys/Booster Golds/Blue Beetles deaths).

The proper return of Jason Todd was good stuff though.

Also, for those who havn't read it, the DC Infinite Chrismas special has the funniest Superman/Batman story of all.

Three of your moments are from years past:

- Spider-Man and Kitty Pryde became an item in Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1 (August 2005).

- Jason Todd actually returned in Batman 635 (December 2004).

- Blue Beetle died in Countdown to Infinite Crisis (February 2005).

Anyway, my favorite moment of the year, and the biggest one really, has to be Peter Parker pulling the Spider-Man mask off on live TV. Nothing else even comes close.

Three of your moments are from years past:

- Spider-Man and Kitty Pryde became an item in Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1 (August 2005).

- Jason Todd actually returned in Batman 635 (December 2004).

- Blue Beetle died in Countdown to Infinite Crisis (February 2005).

Anyway, my favorite moment of the year, and the biggest one really, has to be Peter Parker pulling the Spider-Man mask off on live TV. Nothing else even comes close.

Gah! Comic-book time moves so slowly. I was sure those were this year.

Demasking of Spidey was probably the most significant thing to happen this year, ut at the time I was not liking civil war much, so it doesn't stand out like I thought it might. I need new moments, time for a quick trawl-through.

Spider-Man unmasking was THE comic book moment of the year.

the Cyclor (I'm stealing your word) arrival was pretty good, too.

All my favorite moments in DC weren't really HUGE moments, which hurts the argument for "moment of the year."

My favorite DC moment was 1yr later Nightwing bluffing Superman in Outsiders.

How can Nightwing be soooooooo awwwwweeeeesssssosooooomommmme in every book but be soooooooo lllllaaaaaammmmmmeeeee in his self-titled book? This goes back to even before crisis and one year and all that.

The Outsiders were all thought to be dead (except nightwing) by the public but instead they were doing covert pre-emptive vigilante work, even using a known criminal (Boomerang's kid). All the superheroes supposedly disapprove of their work but let them do it.

After stranding a small nation's leader, who got like half a million people killed, (or so) on a desert island, Superman shows up to shut down their operation for using less-than-shiny tactics (I swear, superman is always at his best as a Nightwing supporting character, see Nightwing: Year One for more proof). Nightwing gets right in his face.

Supes tells him to stop, Wing says he won't, Supes starts to lecture him on Right and Wrong, Wing says he's helping the corners that Superman's hands are too big to reach, Supes says its hurting people, Wing says only bad people. Wing says he doesn't need Supes blessing.

Nightwing then pulls out a lead case and tells Supes that he should know what is in it. Supes hesitates. Nightwing says shiny heroes are too worried about tarnishing themselves to do what needs to be done. Supes hesitates some more then threatens that he could stop Wing if he wanted to and flies away. Outsiders applaud Nightwing bluffing Supes. Nightwing then puts a chunk of kryptonite in the storage room, looking all ashamed of himself.

I think it was like 36 or 37 but my books are packed away right now, so pardon the choppy recollection. The Supes standoff was set up perfectly by an Alan Scott as White King cameo earlier in the same issue.

Has to be Spiderman unmasking.

I really dislike Spiderman and haven't read a Spidey book (besides Millar's run because of Millar) since Erik Larsen was on the title.

I don't like the character, the plot was spoiled so I knew it was coming and it still made the hairs on my arms stand up when it happened.

Moment of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

I should think (at least in my mind) Spider-man unmasking is the biggest moment in comic books not only for this year but probably for a few years to come. Peter's unmasking is something that Marvel has commited to and should be seen as a major event, it would be the equivilent of Bruce Wayne unmasking himself for the world to see.

I should think (at least in my mind) Spider-man unmasking is the biggest moment in comic books not only for this year but probably for a few years to come. Peter's unmasking is something that Marvel has commited to and should be seen as a major event, it would be the equivilent of Bruce Wayne unmasking himself for the world to see.

I wouldn't put it that high. Bruce revealing himself would cripple his ability to function as Batman. Peter is more of a target for the bad guys, but I don't think its caused Peter nearly as much of a problem. He has no personal wealth and no property for authorities to confiscate.

Peter doesn't need a secret ID to function, its different to say, Matt Murdock's problems because unmasking didn't result in the goverment coming after him.

Next to the death of Superman, the unmasking of Peter Parker could be the second biggest (RE: historical) moment in all of comic books. Nothing else in 2006 trumped it, nor will anything I can foresee in 2007. Hell, the Hulk could eat Tony Stark's head during WWH and it wouldn't match the powerful moment that brought Civil War #2 to a close.

I wouldn't put it that high. Bruce revealing himself would cripple his ability to function as Batman. Peter is more of a target for the bad guys, but I don't think its caused Peter nearly as much of a problem. He has no personal wealth and no property for authorities to confiscate.

Peter doesn't need a secret ID to function, its different to say, Matt Murdock's problems because unmasking didn't result in the goverment coming after him.

This echos my original sentiments I posted in the CW thread. To me, Parker unmasking himself isn't that big of a deal that some people are making it out to be. In his real life he's a nobody. To me, someone would have to be a personal figurehead that is recognizable to the world, like the above example of Wayne or Stark, for it to be a big deal. That would be parallel to someone like Bill Gates in our reality coming out as a superhero. Parker in parrallel to the random bagger at your grocery store coming out as a superhero. That's why it wasn't a big deal when he was unmasked in the second Spiderman movie.

This echos my original sentiments I posted in the CW thread. To me, Parker unmasking himself isn't that big of a deal that some people are making it out to be. In his real life he's a nobody. To me, someone would have to be a personal figurehead that is recognizable to the world, like the above example of Wayne or Stark, for it to be a big deal. That would be parallel to someone like Bill Gates in our reality coming out as a superhero. Parker in parrallel to the random bagger at your grocery store coming out as a superhero. That's why it wasn't a big deal when he was unmasked in the second Spiderman movie.

It wasn't so much the fact that he unmasked himself as it was the fact he told the world he was Peter Parker. Saying this automatically allows people to figure out where he lives. They would also find out he has a wife who is a famous model. Seeing as Peter is a teacher it also puts a target on each and every student he has taught and also all of the people he works with. It wasn't a big deal in the movie when he was unmasked because to those people he was just another face but when you put a name to it, everyone he knows is now a target. The last time somebody found out who Spider-Man was it ended in the death of Gwen Stacey. Superman may not wear a mask but he wouldn't tell the world he is Clark Kent either.