Superman Returns

Missy

It has been rumored that screen-testing for Superman 5 began this week, with the following men:

Henry Cavill born: 1983 (Stephen Colley in I Capture the Castle)

Cavill.gif

Jason Behr born: 1973 (Max Evans in Roswell)

Behr.gif

Jared Padalecki born: 1982 (Trey Lipton in New York Minute)

Padalecki.gif

Brendon (Brandon?) Routh born: 1979 (Wade in Undressed)

Routh.gif

Mike Vogel born: 1979 (Andy in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [2003])

Vogel.gif

Hayden Christensen born: 1981 (Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader in Star Wars prequels)

Christensen.gif

01. Hayden Christensen decided not to test.

02. I despise this young, hip look they seem to be going for. Superman is in his 30s, and people will flock to the theaters to see this film regardless of how young and cool Superman is. And, if they're going for a young look, they might as well cast Tom Welling from Smallville.

03. Jason Behr isn't a bad candidate.

04. Here are my picks:

Patrick Warburton born: 1964 (David Puddy in Seinfeld)

Warburton.gif

Ron Livingston born: 1968 (Peter Gibbons in Office Space)

Livingston.gif

Stuart Townsend born: 1972 (Dorian Gray in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Townsend.gif

Josh Duhamel born: 1972 (Tad Hamilton in Win a Date with Tad Hamilton)

Duhamel.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, with these casting choices they better do it as if it's Clark's early years.

If they're going to do a young Clark/Superman, why not cast Smallville's Tom Welling?

Maybe they want to stay away from being connected to Smallville. More true to the comic than some teen drama.

It's probably the producers of Smallville that want to stay away from the movie, because once we see Tom in the Superman costume, everything that makes SV special is gone. But casting a young Superman will inevitably draw comparisons to the TV show.

Darkhorizons.com are reporting that McG's no longer attached to the project. A setback in production, but probably good for the film itself

Though I wish it to be true, I'm not getting my hopes up... yet. It seems he's kicked off (or quits) the project every other week, and then returns. Who knows what to believe?

Hopefully WB has smartened up and won't let this hack anywhere near their most important film since Batman!

Since news broke that McG has departed from the film, many sites have started to report that Michael Bay (Bad Boys, The Rock) will direct the newest Superman film. To add fuel to that fire, I present the official site of Michael Bay: www.michaelbay.com

The rumor of Bay's involvement has been debunked by both WB and Bay. Still no reason why the Superman logo temporarily appeared on his site, however.

Have you ever seen Smallville? I would want to stay the hell away from it too.

All of those are horrible choices, and Depp isn't gonna play Luthor, he goes for the smaller lesser known films, he didn't know Pirates of the Carribean was gonna make so much freakin money.

Shiea Lebouf is like 15, Scarlet Johanson can't be passed her mid 20s and Jake Gyennhaul looks 12. Come on producers wake up.

Just get Dean Cain and lets call it a day, I'm pretty sure he's not doing anything.

Have you ever seen Smallville? I would want to stay the hell away from it too.

No, but I've heard nothing but good things.

All of those are horrible choices, and Depp isn't gonna play Luthor, he goes for the smaller lesser known films, he didn't know Pirates of the Carribean was gonna make so much freakin money.

Depp has been rumored to play Lex forever now, but no one has ever confirmed or denied his involvement. I doubt it, however, because his plate is very full with upcoming projects (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Pirates of the Caribbean 2, The Rum Diary, and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly).

Shiea Lebouf is like 15,

He's 18, and Jimmy should look young.

Scarlet Johanson can't be passed her mid 20s

As of this moment she's not even 20! I know they want a young cast, but she is a bit too young for the part.

and Jake Gyennhaul looks 12. Come on producers wake up.

He's supposedly been dropped from their list.

Darkhorizons.com are reporting that McG's no longer attached to the project. A setback in production, but probably good for the film itself

The Hollywood Reporter and Warner Bros. have now confirmed that McG is no longer attached to the next Superman movie. Due to disagreements about the shooting location (he wanted New York, they want Australia) and casting, the director and studio have parted ways.

A thought: Metropolis is not New York City, and it's crazy to think so. Nor is it any Australian city. It's based on Toronto, and should be filmed there.

A thought: Metropolis is not New York City, and it's crazy to think so. Nor is it any Australian city. It's based on Toronto, and should be filmed there.

Quiet with your logic! Movie makers can't understand it! Spiderman is a fluke.

HUGE FUCKING NEWS!

With McG having been booted from the film, word has surfaced that none other than Bryan Singer and his X2 writing team of Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris will take on the fifth Superman film, tentatively titled Superman Returns. (This means that the previous script, penned by J.J. Abrams is in the trash.)

But what does this mean for Singer's remake of Logan's Run and X-Men 3?

Warner Bros. has confirmed that Singer will follow Superman Returns with Logan's Run. As for his commitments with Fox and X-Men 3, no one seems to know what's going on. Will Fox delay X3 for Singer (unlikely), will they move along without him (doubt it), or will it be filmed before the next Superman film (best bet)? We'll just have to wait and see.

A letter from Wolverine to Superman:

Superman Steals X-Man Singer

by Joal Ryan

Dear Superman,

I thought we were friends. Or at least professional colleagues with a healthy respect of each other's powers--and boundaries.

Imagine my shock then when I cracked opened the Hollywood trades Monday morning here at Xavier Mansion, and read that my director--my director--had become your director.

"Supe's on with 'X' Man," Variety said. "Singer Gives Superman 'X'-Ray Vision," the Hollywood Reporter countered.

So, you've stolen Bryan Singer. You know at least when Mystique tries to stab me in the back she jumps up in the air first and does a couple of fancy somersaults so I have time to prepare my claws.

But you--you conniving Kryptonian--you pretend you're all about truth, justice and the American way, when all you're really about is getting back on the big screen anyway, anyhow.

The papers say Singer inked the deal with Warner Bros. on Friday. Variety says he'll probably bring screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris along, too.

(Oh, did I say "screenwriters"? I meant "my screenwriters." Mike and Dan helped write X2--maybe you caught that flick while you were busy not getting your stupid movie made.)

With Singer committing to you, the Reporter says his planned Logan's Run remake is now in "a gray zone"--big deal. And Variety says he probably won't have time for X-Men 3--very, very big deal, dude.

Fox has penciled in May 5, 2006, as the release date for X-Men 3. I know you're unfamiliar with the concept, but a release date is WHEN A MOVIE'S SUPPOSED TO COME OUT!

How is my movie supposed to come out without a director? Oh, sure, Fox'll find somebody else. But somebody else won't be Bryan Singer. The man who plotted out and directed our first two movies (combined domestic gross: $372.2 million). The man who recognized a hero with furry sideburns could too be a leading man. The man who knows who Keyser Soze is.

In a way, I don't know why I'm getting all worked up.

So, Bryan's hooking up with you. So, he claims his "interest in [you] dates back many, many years." So, he professes to love the original Richard Donner Superman movie. So, he says, "it is time for [you] to fly again."

So, what?

Superman, you are like the messed-up hot chick who can't keep a guy.

Sure, Bryan's enamored with you--now. At one time, so was McG. So was Brett Ratner. So was Tim Burton. Even Michael Bay was rumored to have given you a look.

Got quite a collection of ex-suitors there, don't you? (Say, do you keep their pictures on a wall in the Fortress of Solitude--maybe next to your Lois Lane shrine?--you nutball stalker.)

Oh, I know, poor Kal-Hell, it's not your fault. It's Warners'. It was the studio that pulled the plug on Burton. It was the studio that wouldn't okay Ratner's choice to play you (then soap star Matthew Bomer). And it was the studio that insisted on shooting in Australia when McG wanted to shoot in New York.

Boo-hoo. Somebody get me a Kleenex.

But what I'll really be bawling about is how people fall for your woe-is-me, I'm-a-cursed-superhero act.

I don't care if BatBale gets more press. I don't care if Halle Berry's Catwoman getup gets more downloads. I don't care if you don't have a locked-in producer, a locked-in star or a locked-in screenplay. We should all be cursed with a $200 million budget and a road-tested comic-book director.

I hear Warners is still going to try to get your tired buns of steel off the ground for a shoot late this year. Might want to renew your Crunch membership, friend. By my tally, you haven't been out of the Barcalounger in 17 years.

Gee, I realize now this letter may be sounding a tad bitter. Forgive me. I was going for really, really bitter.

Give my regards to Bryan. If you ever actually meet him.

[Expletive deleted] you,

Wolverine

P.S.: Superman III sucked.

P.P.S.: Superman IV sucked worse.

(source: eonline.com)

01. It would have been funnier if it was written in Wolverine's voice, such as this letter by the Hulk.

02. Kal-Hell?

• 3 weeks later...

For what's it worth, I always enjoyed Hatcher and Cain as Lois and Clark, always seemed pretty natural. But, knowing that isn't going to happen, how about...

Lois Lane: Bridget Moynahan. (credit, my brother) Right age, was good in Sum of All Fears as the determined doctor.

12m.jpg

OR

Stacy Haiduk. Has the ice queen look down pat and is around the right age.

stacy.gif

Clark/Superman: Rory Cochrane. I loved him in Dazed and Confused and Empire Records. Think he could really transform himself into a lead hero.

Miami_Cochrane_235.jpg

OR

Michael T. Weiss. While only seeing him in the Pretender mainly, I think he has the hero quality needed.

12m.jpg

Lex: Kiefer Sutherland. Bald Head would make him so much more evil!!

r24_2003.jpg

OR

Ron Rifkin. Sloane from Alias would make a devilish Lex.

12m.jpg

Perry: Mandy Patinkin. Full of energy, a bit of center, and remember The Princess Bride.

12m.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Comic book writer Mark Millar is reporting that Jim Caviezel (The Passion of The Christ) is the new Superman. Warner Bros. and Caviezel's agent have yet to confirm this, so take it for what it's worth. Hopefully we'll get confirmation (either way) in a few days.

He's also reporting that this film will simply be called Superman (the first one was Superman The Movie, not Superman), and it will be a brand new beginning. Earlier reports indicated that this film would actually be the fifth installment, and would somehow connect to the previous four. If Millar's sources are correct, one has to assume Warner Bros. realizes just how crappy the last two films were, and decided to reboot the entire franchise (which is exactly what they're doing with Batman).