DC: The New Frontier

RSS

Normally my reviews start off talking about my experience with the subject, or sometimes they beat around the bush. Several have played coy, while others lamented the internal logic of the series. And a few others begged a question before moving on, a question I would later answer. In this case, none of that is needed, because I feel it's best just to get to the point; simply put, Darwyn Cooke is a genius, and DC: The New Frontier is a masterpiece.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/reviews/c/dc/misc/dc-the-new-frontier

There's also the Absolute edition for $75.

Which is Absolute-ly gorgeous. Definately go for it over the trades.

In total agreement with what's been said. New Frontier is one of my all time favorite comic stories and Darwyn Cooke is one of the greatest artists in modern comics.

Great review, Mike. Was happy to see you tackle the book on more of a metaphorical level on this review because i feel that is usually lacking in your reviews (and many reviews in general). I also agree with you that The New Frontier is very much the next Watchmen but unlike crap like Civil War it didn't set out to be the next Watchmen, it became the next Watchmen. The New Frontier is also very much the spiritual prequel to The Dark Knight Returns in many ways too.

Thanks, guys!

For anyone who wants to buy DC: The New Frontier, remember this: the entire story is collected in two trade paperbacks. They're $20 each, but well worth the price.

There's also the Absolute edition for $75.

It's funny how the Two Volumes of The New Frontier are between 15 to 20 dollars each, but the Absolute Edition, which is both Volumes together is between 50 and 75 dollars, all because its a hardcover. I will be picking up the two seperate volumes.

HA! The higher price isn't just "because it's a hardcover." The Absolute edition is huge! The standard trade paperback has the same dimensions as a comic book: roughly 10" x 6". Absolute New Frontier is a whopping 13" x 9". Plus, the trades, together, come to 416 pages. Thanks to all of the supplemental material, Absolute DC: The New Frontier is 464 pages.

I understand that Absolutes aren't for everyone, but do not write the format off as just "a hardcover." These collections are meant to showcase the art in a format that's only slightly smaller than the size at which it was drawn.

Plus (not to shill), but DCBS has Absolute DC: The New Frontier for $52.50, and Amazon sells it for $47.25. Considering the trades are roughly $13.00 each at both DCBS and Amazon, I'd gladly pay another $20 for the Absolute edition!

HA! The higher price isn't just "because it's a hardcover." The Absolute edition is huge! The standard trade paperback has the same dimensions as a comic book: roughly 10" x 6". Absolute New Frontier is a whopping 13" x 9". Plus, the trades, together, come to 416 pages. Thanks to all of the supplemental material, Absolute DC: The New Frontier is 464 pages.

I understand that Absolutes aren't for everyone, but do not write the format off as just "a hardcover." These collections are meant to showcase the art in a format that's only slightly smaller than the size at which it was drawn.

Plus (not to shill), but DCBS has Absolute DC: The New Frontier for $52.50, and Amazon sells it for $47.25. Considering the trades are roughly $13.00 each at both DCBS and Amazon, I'd gladly pay another $20 for the Absolute edition!

Sorry, I was on Amazon and didn't see anything about any special thing about the Absolutes, so the only difference I saw(besides the amount of pages)was the cover format. Thanks for clearing it up. Now I may actually get the Absolute edition, I like all that Special Edition stuff.