Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Missy

We've stuck to Superfriends and the like, but my cousin is beginning to see them as very lack-luster.

Actually, I remember when "Universe Of Evil" aired in 78 or 79 with the alternate universe, evil Superfriends - I was about 7 and that was pretty creepy (Of course, I think that Dan and I may have been the only ones who actually saw it the first time through...damn that "First Time You Felt Old" thread.)

I couldn't say if I saw it first run or not, but I remember that episode very well. We knew these Superfriends were eeeevil, because Aquaman had an eyepatch.

An EEEEEVVILLLLLL eyepatch.

Plus, I hear he didn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom.

Because he's EVIL.

That joke just never gets old.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051

even though mike's Internet is down I think he'd really like tonights ep it has Guy Gardner in it Killowog don't look half bad either as far as character design nut this show still ain't even close to DCAU animation standards :D

OK after watching tonight's episode I have to admit it was pretty good........ Love how they introduced The Jason Blood character and everything I just wish it was the same voice actor that play him in Justice League

Next week introduces The Outsiders

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051
This show is awesome. It's the only show on TV I'm watching as of now.

ummm u mean to tell me you're not watching anything else other thien this cartoon??

I've gotta admit the animation on it is getting better and Rosenbaum as Deadman was cool as well as R. Lee Ermy as Wildcat was excellent casting. Then again Andrea Romano is the voice/casting director on this and pretty much everything I've seen her have a hand in was excellent.

I still stand by my opinion of it will never live up to DC Animated Universe standards though :D

That was a great episode! And I loved the homage to BTAS, with Green Arrow's impersonation of Batman: "I am vengeance! I am the night! I am Batman!"

Okay, maybe it's just me, but the stuff with Speedy seemed a bit gay. Firstly, two spirits took control of his body. So you could say two men were inside him. Then when Green Arrow told them to be careful with his sidekick's body, he said, "Hey, take it easy! I need him." To that, Deadman responded with, "Don't sweat it, mac. He'll be okay. A little sore, maybe." Am I reading too much into that?

With Speedy they paid a nice tribute to the Burt Ward Robin.

Oh, and we'll get

the Ted Kord Blue Beetle

next time!

I have to agree with Preston, Mike. Though I respect your opinion, the constant comparisons to the DCAU cartoons have grown old. They're different shows. Let it be.

He's right.

I enjoy the Batman cartoon. Except season five as that is when the show fell off the cliff. Which was really sad after seasin four was so awesome.

True it's not as epic in scale as the DCAU, the show was fun to watch as this is.

Okay, maybe it's just me, but the stuff with Speedy seemed a bit gay. Firstly, two spirits took control of his body. So you could say two men were inside him. Then when Green Arrow told them to be careful with his sidekick's body, he said, "Hey, take it easy! I need him." To that, Deadman responded with, "Don't sweat it, mac. He'll be okay. A little sore, maybe." Am I reading too much into that?

This is the whole Clayface/Teddy thing again, isn't it Mike? :P

Guest DCAUFan1051
I have to agree with Preston, Mike. Though I respect your opinion, the constant comparisons to the DCAU cartoons have grown old. They're different shows. Let it be.

I keep comparing them because the fact is I feel that DC/WB is going along the same lines as every other studio TV station whatever about "old is new" I'll admit I have liked the last 2 episodes and some of the storylines are very original. However how often has it been in a Batman story either comics TV whatever that:

#1 he's traveling in space or on a strange planet?

#2 He time travels?????

Yes I know he's the goddamn batman and he can do anything but still that seems out of character to me.

And before anyone brings it up yes I know that he did time travel in Justice League/JLU but it wasn't almost every freakin episode like they portray it in this show! I don't remember bats doing any space travel in any Batman cartoon that we've ever had. As I said I can appreciate "original" stories but doing something just completely out of character for an interesting story just is wrong especially in Batman's case I think.

Mike, this goes back to Preston's "apples and oranges" comment. Batman: The Animated Series was supposed to have a classic look (RE: Max Fleischer's Superman) but with modern storytelling elements. On the other hand, Batman: The Brave and the Bold is supposed to have a (mostly) modern look but with classic (RE: Silver Age) storytelling elements. And if you check those Silver Age stories, you'll often see Batman traveling through time and to other planets.

Guest DCAUFan1051

thanks for the clairfication Mike as I've said many times before it's been ages since I've been into comics. Need to start getting back into them.

On another note as I said in another post the show is getting better and I understand it's supposed to be geared towards kids and everything.......but like most people I hate change lol :D

This show is awesome. It's the only show on TV I'm watching as of now.

ummm u mean to tell me you're not watching anything else other thien this cartoon??

Nope. I can't stand TV these days. But I absolutely love superhero cartoons. Go figure. And to show that I'm not some big childhood nostalgia loon, part of the reason I gave up on TV to put more time into watching high art cinema.

• 2 weeks later...
Cartoon Network has released a rundown of the Batman: The Brave and The Bold episodes slated to air during February 2009, including the first two-parter of the series. Below is a description of each episode and the respective airdate.

Friday, Febuary 6th, 2009 - "The Eyes of Despero!"

The Green Lantern Corps is MIA after a battle with Despero and Batman must team with G'Nort, Guy Gardner and Sinestro to defeat Despero before he turns the living Green Lantern planet into a weapon.

Friday, February 13th, 2009 - "Return of the Fearsome Fangs!"

Batman and a reluctant Bronze Tiger fight to prevent Fox, Vulture and Shark from invading an ancient Chinese temple and stealing the sacred animal totem from within.

Friday, February 20th, 2009 - "Deep Cover for Batman!"

Batman swaps places with Owlman -- his criminal counterpart in an alternate Universe -- to stop the Crime Syndicate from taking over the world.

Friday, February 27th, 2009 - "Game Over for Owlman!"

On Earth, Owlman has been perpetrating crimes disguised as Batman and assembled all the villains to join him.

Crime Syndicate! :urock:

So, Erin, your cousin finds them lack-luster at times, huh? I'm shocked. Truly.

I think he finds it lack-luster more for the dialogue than anything else. He did love the adventures the Superfriends go on, but he keeps asking me why Superman keeps saying things like "I've got to stop it!" (in reference to the meteors he was fighting at the time). My cousin would turn to me and ask "Why doesn't Superman just hit the rock, instead of telling us he's going to?" I had no answer for him except that that was how cartoons were made back then.

I'm just happy he's watching a Batman cartoon and that's what matters. ;)

Actually, Atom had the line of the episode.

Aquaman: What about the plan?

Atom: Blah, blah, blah! ...Let's punch 'em!

The Atom/Aquaman exchanges were great.

Atom: It's replicating.

Aquaman: Yes, and it's making more of itself too!

Aquaman: I think we'll name him Platelet

Atom: Except he's a Lymphocyte

Aquaman: Platelet it is!