The Doctor Who thread

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure everybody's saying this, but I wish showrunners didn't leave with their Doctors. I would really like to see Whittaker with a different team. I just hope that what they leave off with is fresh and exciting.

S11 Thirteen was a very friendly, oftentimes funny tour guide. She had her distinctly quirky moments like her squeal when she saw the Kerblam Man, or when she reformatted Ryan's phone for her own uses, but they were few and far between.  She was enjoyable, but not distinctly exciting.  S12 swung a bit too far in the opposite direction, the Doctor using someone's skin color against them in a fight just feels wrong. And then she's just moody for the rest of the season, which isn't very fun to watch.

I fell off during Season 11, came back for most of season 12, and although none of the episodes I saw were immediate favorites (Although I loved what I saw the season 12's Master), I really wish Jodie had one more season to really cement a stamp on the legacy aside from her gender. Chibnall's direction has been so unimpactful compared to RTD and Moffat's, which isn't wholly fair and can be owed to various things. I always felt cramming the TARDIS with 3 people was too much, especially with a new Doctor. I feel with two main leads, there's more time to have them develop and show more dimension, but not when you're walking this tightrope of developing four characters at once. Even with Matt Smith and his TARDIS, he had a few eps in season 5 where it was just him and Amy.17

• 1 month later...

Still surreal to me. It's felt like people left because they ran out of things to do with the show, but I'm sure RTD's HBO work has reinvigorated him. I'm curious to see what he does now that Moffat (in my opinion) has raised the game with what the show can do, and how Chibnall has stagnated it. This is probably the most exciting thing they've done since Whittaker's casting, which says something about how it's been lately.

Really curious to see what the co-production aspect means for it going forward. From everything I've been reading in About Time, Julie Gardner is owed a lot of credit when it comes to actually making the revival work.

Intellectually I absolutely understand the reticence to return to an old storyteller. RTD's era wasn't perfect and he did do campy and cheesy things in it. It was also a highly romantically charged era, something Moffat and also Capaldi took the show away from just to make it feel more like Classic Who. But I still love RTD's era. Tennant's my favorite Doctor, and series 4 was my favorite. The cheesiness tapered off and the experience garnered put the show in a great light. Plus everything was shiny and exciting and new looking. Moffat's era had everything look and feel more drab, which matched his darker tone, but it wasn't exciting.

I miss when Doctor Who was the big pop culture phenomenon it used to be around the early Matt Smith years. Moffat got too involved with the mystery boxes, and the glamour wore off. I've hardly seen Chibnall's era, Jodie Whitaker is a fine Doctor (if a bit too reminiscent of Tennant and Smith a bit), but much of what I've seen that's not involving the Master hasn't thrilled me. I'm wanting to be thrilled again, although I hope Whitaker stays on for at least one story under RTD if possible.

• 1 month later...

Liked it overall. Jamie Magnus Stone's work on Spyfall Part 1 is probably the best directing of that season, and he brought that same energy here. Effects were really beautiful, that shot of the Doctor's eye transitioning to the Flux was a standout.

The kitchen sink approach is something. I think they could've taken at least one subplot out, but considering how short a season we have and how many different strands they want to touch on, I guess they have to have all that.

Spoiler

I would probably say the Sontaran and/or the 1820 plotlines, but those seem to be relevant next week so, might as well have them here. (Also, really nice to hear Dan Starkey as a Sontaran again)

I'm still crossing my arms at all the Division stuff, but we'll see what they plan to do.

Some of the stuff felt really familiar, a furry warrior who has a bond to a human? Hmm. The fact that Karvanista (which honestly sounds more like a species name or title than a person) attempted a mind trick made me laugh. Azure being an ancient entity in the form of a normal woman also gave me flashbacks to Suicide Squad 2016.

Dan is a pretty good addition, although at this point you can pretty much sum him up with "he's nice".

Yaz works really well now that she has more space, though I really would have liked to have seen those prior adventures, like in an Easter special or whatever (I'm sure Big Finish are just hearing the cash register sounds). Intrigued by Claire, and Karvanista is kinda fun.

I've been yearning for a Yaz and Doctor duo since I first saw her, and I resent that the BBC appears hesitant to keep it just the two of them. An all-female TARDIS just appeals to me. and I thought they worked great together. I also liked how the Doctor eventually got tired of Yaz asking her stuffed and gave a bit back.

I really liked episode 1 of Flux, I thought it was cool.

Episode 3 I had no idea WTF was happening. Zero idea. I mean I get confused easily on the plots of Doctor Who all the time anyway, but these Chibnall episodes fly by so fast with their stories, there's hardly ever time to sit down with the characters. Is that just me?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...