The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the start of a trend.

CNN have reported that plans are afoot to broadcast the sixth series of Doctor to the United States within hours of airing in the United Kingdom.

Addressing the issue of fans downloading episodes via the Internet way ahead of their broadcast in the USA, the vice president of programming at BBC America, Richard de Croce, said:

(It) means fans love the shows so much they can't wait to see them.

And that's the world we live in, in terms of technology, quite honestly. So let's air these shows as quickly as we can post the UK's transmission.

Plans are in the works for season six of "Doctor Who" to be broadcast the same day in the United States as well.

Tomorrow's broadcast of A Christmas Carol will be the first time American fans will be able to watch Doctor Who on the same evening as those in the UK, with Australia and Canada following suit a day later.

Saying that "A Christmas Carol" is the best Christmas special is not saying a lot. However, it happens to be true, and I think it was a very good episode. Michael Gambon was fantastic. If I had any complaint, it would be that I wish Karen Gillan and especially Arthur Darvill had been given more to do. But I really enjoyed it.

If I had any complaint, it would be that I wish Karen Gillan and especially Arthur Darvill had been given more to do.

Same here. One of the things I'm most looking forward to for Series Six is the dynamic between The Doctor, Amy, and Rory on a regular basis.

Nice that Arthur made the opening titles, though.

If I had any complaint, it would be that I wish Karen Gillan and especially Arthur Darvill had been given more to do.

Same here. One of the things I'm most looking forward to for Series Six is the dynamic between The Doctor, Amy, and Rory on a regular basis.

Nice that Arthur made the opening titles, though.

Really, assuming he lasts awhile, Rory will be the first regular male companion since Turlough not counting the odd one who was there for a couple of episodes at most. The new series does give us a problem if the people who travel with the Doctor for one or two stories is companion or a short term adventure partner. If you do then 10 is something of a companion slut.

Beat by beat of the trailer with some speculation:

-French aristocrats with rapiers looking for the Doctor

-Nazis. The Doctor has never fought real nazis. I kinda hope that that's this years Dalek episode.

-A couple of quick scenes of running including The Doctor, Amy and River (Black pants, white shirt, and Black Black jacket) running out of the Tardis and one of The Doctor and Amy in a very fluffy dress with her done huge.

-The Doctor in the Oval Office with secret service moving in on him. Trying to figure out which president it is from the pictures behind him but it looks like JFK. Doctor wants Jammy Dodgers and a Fez. HA!

-"I wear a stetson now. Stetson's are cool."

-Voiceover from River Song about being recruited. Images include River shooting the Doctor's hat off in Utah. Same outfit as running in the TARDIS scene earlier, can't see a time afent thing on her wrist so no clue on the dating of her timeline. Next image is the Doctor bound with a beard. In the background is an A-51 so Area 51. Next image is the TARDIS console from The Lodger. River can be seen in the corner in that outfit

-The Doctor and Amy at wreckage. Amy's in that Dress with the ugly hair again.

-An astronaut in a creepy house.

-Rory and Amy with the Doctor in the TARDIS. The Ponds are wearing the same outfits as earlier in Utah.

-Tardis Console explodes.

-Amy with a flashlight in dimly lit house. Something's written on the wall "- Out!"

-Doctor with a flood lamp.

-Naked River Song.

-Amy Cornered by Secret Service.

-Rory and Amy running down a corridor. I think the following frames with the Ood are from the same scene.

-CREEPY DOLLS!!!

-Amy screaming, face covered in hash marks.

-Doctor telling Amy his life is in her hands. Utah shirt again.

-Hash marked amy with a flashlight looks up at something.

-River in a fancy dress, arms covered in Hash marks and tarps covering somethng in the background.

-Rory with a flashlight looks around and see a grey in a suit.

Will's Thoughts: Almost all of this seems to be from the episode that was filmed Statewise. The creepy Doll stuff seems to be from something else as well as the aristocrats and possibly the Nazis. Possibly also the Ood as well. That said, looks like a lot going on in that two parter and I find myself wondering if the Hash Mark Amy is from the two parter or Creepy Doll episode. If the second than that suggest River might stick around a little longer but maybe not.

-Nazis. The Doctor has never fought real nazis. I kinda hope that that's this years Dalek episode.

Really Will? Why?

Because Daleks and WWII worked out so great last time? And because Daleks going back into earth's history worked out so great before that? Victory of the Daleks and the two part Dalek's Take Manhatten were some of the absolute worst episodes of the modern series, there's no reason anyone should want to try that again. Give me a story about the Daleks out in space, when they're a legit empire again and are fighting some possibly new other race or humanity in the future. I'm sick of them invading earth.

Also, why do you need the Nazi-allegory when you have actual Nazi's in the episode? It's pointless.

Sorry, I just want them to be used better than they have been.

im very excited for season six, i think matt smith is doing a great job

plus its set in America! god bless the fucking USA

Welcome to the forums valeyard.

I agree Smith is doing a great job, and the only thing stopping me from really looking forward to series 6 is that it will be around 7 episodes, so by the time I get used to it being on, it'll be back off the air.

Also, can we just not have the Daleks this next series, they are really getting overused, and I'd like a break for them to come back and be awesome again.

I agree Smith is doing a great job, and the only thing stopping me from really looking forward to series 6 is that it will be around 7 episodes, so by the time I get used to it being on, it'll be back off the air.

Welcome, indeed!

And I don't mind the split at all, as A) almost all British shows only run that long once a year anyway, and B) it works for South Park.

Also, can we just not have the Daleks this next series, they are really getting overused, and I'd like a break for them to come back and be awesome again.

Part of the agreement about the Beeb being allowed to use the Daleks is that they're used every season. I don't actually mind this im theory, but the problem is that they've been very hit and miss in New Who. I loved them in Series 1, found them unneccessary in Series 2 and their Series 3 outing was so bad that it turned a lot of people off that season as a whole. They were alright in the Series 4 finale, even if that was basically the Series 1 finale w/ Davros & all the companions thrown in, and Victory of the Daleks was good on paper but badly executed. As long as they're kept fresh and interesting, I don't mind the continued Dalek presence.

Welcome, indeed!

And I don't mind the split at all, as A) almost all British shows only run that long once a year anyway, and B) it works for South Park.

Yeah, it works for South Park, but I still feel like once you get used to it being on, it goes back off the air.

Part of the agreement about the Beeb being allowed to use the Daleks is that they're used every season. I don't actually mind this im theory, but the problem is that they've been very hit and miss in New Who. I loved them in Series 1, found them unneccessary in Series 2 and their Series 3 outing was so bad that it turned a lot of people off that season as a whole. They were alright in the Series 4 finale, even if that was basically the Series 1 finale w/ Davros & all the companions thrown in, and Victory of the Daleks was good on paper but badly executed. As long as they're kept fresh and interesting, I don't mind the continued Dalek presence.

Pretty much what I feel. They've been so hit or miss, and it has felt like they don't really know what to do with the Daleks right now. The series 3 episodes were bloody awful.

Welcome, indeed!

well im pretty sure that its going to be thirteen episodes. it goes for 7 in the spring, then a cliffhanger, and then it comes back in autumn. granted im getting this from wiki though