Red Dawn remake

JackFetch

There are only two ways this could make sense:

01. Like the original, it's set in the 1980s. Otherwise, why would the nonexistent Soviet Union invade modern America? Hollywood does realize the Cold War is over, right?

02. It's set now, but instead of Russians, we're invaded by Middle Eastern terrorists. But then the title doesn't make sense.

But Communism isn't a blip on the radar right now, not even with the not-so-great relationship between China and the US. Everything is "terrorism this" and "terrorism that."

The title suggests communism though. I imagine it will be about how we are so focused on terrorism that we get invaded while our armies are over seas fighting.

That might work, but, again, communism is such a non-issue right now. Even if this is set in the 1980s, I don't see it having the impact it's supposed to. It's going to come across as "Hey, kids! Remember communism? lol lol"

That might work, but, again, communism is such a non-issue right now. Even if this is set in the 1980s, I don't see it having the impact it's supposed to. It's going to come across as "Hey, kids! Remember communism? lol lol"

Communism isn't a non-issue right now. Ask all the Cubans in Florida, or anyone in the government worried about China and North Korea having nukes. Most Americans only thought about Russia when it came to communism.

Communism still exists, yes, but when people talk about China and Korea it's about their weapons, not the fact that they're a Communist country. No one seems worried about the spread of Communism anymore, that's what I meant when I called it a non-issue.

Obviously it has to be set in the 1980's, but really, what's the point? The first one was awesome. Leave it be,

Communism still exists, yes, but when people talk about China and Korea it's about their weapons, not the fact that they're a Communist country.

I would be OK with it set in modern times on two conditions.

1. North Korea is one of the invading countries

2. Kim Jong Il says, at least once, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW ****ING BUSY I AM?"

• 1 month later...
Screenwriter Carl Ellsworth has been hired to rewrite MGM's Red Dawn, the ultimate homeland invasion story about a new generation of besieged high schoolers.

Dan Bradley, a second unit director and/or stunt coordinator on The Bourne Ultimatum, Spider-Man 3 and the forthcoming Quantum of Solace, will move into the director's chair for the update. Contrafilm's Beau Flynn and Tripp Vinson will produce.

"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in," says Ellsworth, "As 'Red Dawn' scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hell out of people again?"

Ellsworth will be working from a story written by Jeremy Passmore. Vincent Newman (A Man Apart) is also acting in a producer capacity.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46707

• 1 year later...
Josh Hutcherson, Isabel Lucas, Connor Cruise and Edwin Hodge are joining MGM/UA's Red Dawn remake, says The Hollywood Reporter.

They join Chris Hemsworth, Josh Peck and Adrianne Palicki in the redo of the 1984 action movie about a group of teenagers who form an insurgency when their town is invaded -- this time by Chinese and Russian soldiers.

Hutcherson will play Robert, originated by C. Thomas Howell, and become the group's tech geek. Lucas is Erica, head cheerleader and the Peck character's girlfriend whom he desperately hopes to spring from an internment camp. Lea Thompson played the character in the original.

Cruise is playing Daryl, the son of Spokane's mayor and Robert's best friend. And Hodge will play Danny, the coolest kid in school and star wide receiver who helps establish the resistance.

Dan Bradley is directing from a screenplay by Jeremy Passmore and Carl Ellsworth.

The film is scheduled to begin filming next month in Detroit for a September 24, 2010 release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57887

I wonder why they changed it from Cuban to Chinese working with Russia? The reason Cuba works is because they are so close.

• 1 year later...

Well that's stupid. It's supposed to be a nightmare scenario, and the only superpower big enough is China. Don't use them and really your best option is some sort of Islamic deal and have the country they're occupying be the UK. But then it's not really Red Dawn anymore.

• 1 year later...

It's not that it looks bad, although I think it does. It's that there's nothing in that which feels like a significant update of the original. Without the USSR the premise is just incredibly weak, and nothing in that trailer convinced me that this film has anything to say about the nature of freedom-fighting/terrorism. I'll watch it on rental but this movie doesn't look like it has enough charm to fall into the 'so dumb it's fun' category.