X-Men: First Class

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it well enough, although when you scrutinise it, suddenly quite a bit doesn't hold up. I only came out of it an hour ago though, so I'll mull it over a while before I record a review.

One thing on the continuity though. If there are contradictions in First Class that hurt its relation to the original trilogy, that's a shame. But things become a lot simpler if you pretend that Origins: Wolverine never happened - it makes me happier, for one! That's why I don't care about the implications for Emma & the Summers Brothers - Wolverine never happened, no de-aging took place and the eery floating projection of Patrick Stewart is a figment of people's imagions.

Hank building Cerebro.

Shaw showing up.

Really, we shouldn't have to rack our brains to figure out what's canon and what isn't. Until they flat out say that they're doing a full reboot or just ignoring this or that movie, they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Took $55m in the opening weekend, about $10m less than Thor. There are some suggestions that Woverine ($85m opening weekend) left a bad taste in peoples mouth in regards to the X franchise. So this could have a bigger second as people tell others it's not as crap as that... Thor took $35m in the second weekend.

Just saw it.

Thought it was decidedly meh.

Erik=Yay!

Charles=Yay!

Hank=Yay!

Shaw=Pretty good.

Banshee=Funny, if a little pointless.

Mystique=...erm...what? Sister?

Emma=Fine as the bitch of the Hellfire club. Woulda been nice if she'd been a little more than that.

Azazel=Why does a demon from Hell hang around with the Hellfire—oh.

Alex=Why are you not Scott?

Angel=Why are you a stripper with bug wings and not a dude with bird wings?

Wolverine=BRILLIANT!

I'm up for seeing a sequel, especially if they bring in the REAL first Class, that being Scott, Jean, Beast, and (since they're screwing continuity anyway), Iceman and [the real] Angel.

I think if this had been just a Charles/Erik movie, it would have been great. The fact that they had to shove in a crapload of B- and C-list mutants for no reason just makes it all more pointless.

I think if this had been just a Charles/Erik movie, it would have been great. The fact that they had to shove in a crapload of B- and C-list mutants for no reason just makes it all more pointless.

That sums up the movie beautifully. And I think people who are rating it highly are just focusing on the Charles/Erik stuff and pretending the lack of character development for everyone else doesn't matter, or that the characters weren't actually there.

That sums up the movie beautifully. And I think people who are rating it highly are just focusing on the Charles/Erik stuff and pretending the lack of character development for everyone else doesn't matter, or that the characters weren't actually there.

As someone who rated the film highly and at the risk of sounding like an idiot, does really it matter that secondary characters like Emma Frost and Banshee lack character development?

To be entirely fair, the movie does rest almost solely on Erik and Charles, and their story is mostly well-done, and extremely well-acted. So if you see the film and your entire emotional focus is on that duo, you might end up with a highly positive reaction to the film, and it wouldn't be wrong in the slightest.

Personally, however, I just felt too disconnected with a huge portion of the plot and characters, and it bothered me.

Heck, the most connected I felt to a character other than Charles and Erik was Logan, and he was only there for ten seconds. Granted, it's because he's had four other films to build his character, but still.

Yeah, you could tell that everything else in the movie was brushed aside in favour of the Charles/Erik bromance, and the only reason this thing seems to be getting so much praise is because the two main actors were very good.

Problem is, they couldn't even keep the continuity of that one relationship straight, and this unshakable bond that the two supposedly share was formed over two weeks.

Problem is, they couldn't even keep the continuity of that one relationship straight, and this unshakable bond that the two supposedly share was formed over two weeks.

I will absolutely give you that. I was expecting a closer bond to develop between the two of them over a longer period of time and there were quite noticeable continuity problems in general. The biggest one that comes to mind: The movie strongly implies that Azazel is Nightcrawler's father yet Mystique is Magneto's partner for the Singer-Ratner trilogy and that relationship begins in this film.

I'm sure it contained the fair and subtle commentary we've all come to know and expect from that show.

It was the greatest episode in it's history. It was it's Empire Strikes Back. The last segment was a complete departure from the series.

Anyways, the part I was talking about was

Stan being a cynical asshole about everything and nobody wants to be around him. He promises not to say anything negative if they let him go to the movies with them, and when he see it's X-Men: First Class he just says "oh shit".

I'm sure it contained the fair and subtle commentary we've all come to know and expect from that show.

Hold on, fuck this thread for a minute:

DW, do you dislike South Park?

Dislike may not be the correct word. I used to be a pretty hardcore fan, but I think it's overstayed its welcome by a few years. I'm sure the show is still entertaining enough, but the overt preachiness (if that's even a word) and the "who are we mad at this week" formula were enough to turn me off of the show for good.

I actually kind of wish South Park would just end there, it's perfect.

Agreed. And I love South Park, but that last speech sounds like a great way of Parker & Stone bowing out from doing it as a regular tv show.

On topic: I'm going to rewatch the X-trilogy ahead of my First Class review, almost specifically to contextualise The Last Stand, which I think gets more criticism than it deserves. I could re-listen to the review I did back in 2006(?) but 5 years on would be a good indicator of how it stands up in the face of the newer prequel films.

Hold on, fuck this thread for a minute:

DW, do you dislike South Park?

Dislike may not be the correct word. I used to be a pretty hardcore fan, but I think it's overstayed its welcome by a few years. I'm sure the show is still entertaining enough, but the overt preachiness (if that's even a word) and the "who are we mad at this week" formula were enough to turn me off of the show for good.

Phew. We don't fully agree. All is still right with the world.

I thought it was alright. Xavier and Magneto do get really the only fleshing out in the entire film, and everyone is just sort of there, for the most part. Beast looked awful in the make up.

I thought the iceberg reveal was just stupid and a bit shit. Kevin Bacon was awesome, like he always is. But this is definitely not a film I'm going to watch twice.

I felt that Shaw was a great villain because he wasn't just generic and saying"Fuck everyone! Grr, hate the world!" He said, that his team was not going to hurt one of their own.

Also, was it just me, or for the final fifteen minutes, did Magneto turn Irish?

Also, Erik and Charles basing their friendship over thirty years over that one summer? Well, that was the greatest summer of their lives:

Saw it today and found it second only to X2. I thought it was one fo the best popcorn movies I've seen in ages. January Jones looked like she was told to act as if she were made of diamond the whole time and there were some hinky special effects here and there, but I had a blast.

Continuity? Who cares. The story was great. The period stuff was fantastic. Though, i could have gone for a trilogy of films based on Erik the Nazi Hunter. That Argentinian bar scene had to be my favorite.

And yes, Austen, on the beach Fassbender was full on Irish. Though, I'm not sure that an Irishman can say the words "brothers and sisters" without their accent.

Fassbender was amazing. He blew everyone else away. Guy is going to be a huge movie star. For sure.

As far as ancillary characters? Beast, Mystique, and Shaw all had their own little arcs that werer just fine. In a film where I wanted the Xavier/Magneto story more than anything, it was a welcome diversion.