Robin, Nightwing, Birds of Prey to end

Missy

According to Newsarama, DC will be ending Robin, Nightwing and Birds of Prey in February.

Rumors have been circulating about Robin for a while now, so that's no surprise. And when you consider how some of DC's top guys feel about Dick Grayson, the end of Nightwing isn't a shocker either. But Birds of Prey has a very loyal, very vocal fan following, so I fully expect it to be relaunched with a new direction by the middle of 2009.

I don't know if I'd call it "hostility," but see it from his perspective: Dick Grayson has aged from 12-ish to 25-ish over the years, yet Bruce Wayne has aged very little. Dan and others at DC fear that one day Dick will be older than Bruce, which would majorly screw up continuity. So instead of aging Bruce, they think the best way to solve the problem is to either ignore or kill Grayson.

Obviously I don't agree with their solutions, but I can see where they're coming from. My opinion is that they should age Bruce. Think of the stories they could tell concerning an aging Batman teaming with friends who seemingly do not age, such as Superman and Wonder Woman. There's a lot of potential there, and, in so doing, they wouldn't have to worry about Dick becoming older than Bruce.

I will never understand the hostility DiDio has towards Dick Grayson.

Didio was Batman's original ward but got kicked to the kerb in favor of the more photogenic Dick Grayson.

This is intriguing though, I suspect this signals the return of Babs to the main Bat universe. An Oracle/Grayson/Drake based team would be the best way to fill the gap left by Bruce, since they need to keep Batman & Detective strong much more than those smaller ancillary titles.. With Batgirl's return and the hinted resurrection of Jean Paul Valley they've pretty much reunited the entire Bat family.

Well, DC's in a bind. The solution is to freeze Batman in his mid-to-late thirties, freeze Dick in his early twenties (and therefore set up a timeline where a 10-year-old Dick was adopted by a 25-year-old Bruce, which is not outside the realm of possibility), keep Tim about 14 or 15, and then leave everyone the hell alone.

I seriously think I should be the president of DC Comics.

Well, DC's in a bind. The solution is to freeze Batman in his mid-to-late thirties, freeze Dick in his early twenties (and therefore set up a timeline where a 10-year-old Dick was adopted by a 25-year-old Bruce, which is not outside the realm of possibility), keep Tim about 14 or 15, and then leave everyone the hell alone.

I seriously think I should be the president of DC Comics.

Nope. I want a Batman in his mid forties with Nightwing maturing to the point that he's a major hero on a par with his mentor. I also want to see a twenty-something Robin becoming something to the wider universe. The day that we get Batman moving to the JSA, Nightwing leading the JLA and Robin leading the Titans as a serious top group will be awesome indeed.

At some point they are going to get rid of one or two of the classic JSA founding fathers, Ted Grant, Jay Garrick and Alan Scott. On that day Batman should recognize that Nightwing and Robin can do for the younger teams what he did and become a mentor in the Society. Preferably he would take over from Alan Scott and/or Ted Grant since they've both had an impact on Wayne's life. Bruce would recognize their value to the heroes and try to fill that void.

Crap, I am completely lost and don't know what the hell is going on, or who they are talking about. I better say something fast.

I like red, red is a purty colour!

Oh and the cancelling of these books won't last long, DC are like any normal company, they are out to make money and give fans what they want second.

Crap, I am completely lost and don't know what the hell is going on, or who they are talking about. I better say something fast.

Normally people just don't post if they have nothing to say.

On topic: How prominent are the Bat family outside of their own headline books?

I just realised that what I said about DC not cancelling a comic, I just realised, aren't they cancelling the actually not bad Batman strikes after issue fifty as the show ended?

What’s weird is that they are just about to give Robin his own Hush style villain; well that's what I'm taking from the current storyline.

I wonder if they are going to end the comics with a bang or just have Batman, whoever he is, saying he needs their help more often, or something.

Robin may just become a Titan member full time and no longer work with Batman. Maybe Nightwing will go full time with the Justice League and Oracle will be like Martian Manhunter is in the cartoon.

I have never read the titans comics, or justice league ones, just to let everyone knows that.