The DCAU Voices

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

I have been thinking about doing this thread for a while now. Basically name your favorite voice actors from the DCAU it can be more then one on either the male/female side from any and all DCAU shows yes Zeta Static and TT are included :D

I'll mainly be listing ones from the other shows though. You don't need to give a reason why you liked them but if you want you can. I'll start:

Kevin Conroy: The ONLY Voice for Batman in my opinion. He played that role for more then 10 years and excelled in it.

Tim Daly/George Newbern: These guys were great as the man of steel. When I first found JL & JLU after seeing some episodes of S: TAS I never knew the difference. Unlike that Adam Baldwin performance in Doomsday :sick:

Cree Summer: this girl's got talent her voiceover resume reads like a long time crooks rap sheet. She's been in so much stuff and she was great as Max in Batman Beyond

Maria Canals: can be summed up in one sentence: HOLY SHIT IT'S HAWKGIRL!!

Michael Rosenbaum: the Flash was great plus Ghoul from BB: ROTJ wayyy cool

Mark Hamill: everyone loves as bruce timm put it manic joker in the rest of the DCAU but darker eviler quieter joker in ROTJ was excellent.

well you guys get the general idea..... just thought it would be a great thread to have fun with. :D

David Warner was perfect as Ra's al Ghul. The second he first spoke you could feel his power, wisdom, twisted compassion and villainy.

Michael Rosenbaum played each voice so well, especially The Flash. You can tell he's having fun in the recording booth.

And Arleen Sorkin brought so much glee to Harley Quinn. I honestly don't know if anyone else could have done the role better.

Guest DCAUFan1051
David Warner was perfect as Ra's al Ghul. The second he first spoke you could feel his power, wisdom, twisted compassion and villainy.

Michael Rosenbaum played each voice so well, especially The Flash. You can tell he's having fun in the recording booth.

And Arleen Sorkin brought so much glee to Harley Quinn. I honestly don't know if anyone else could have done the role better.

I agree with Sorkin I think in the ROTJ commentary Bruce Timm said that they almost needed to get someone else to play "old harley" because they didn't think Sorkin could do it justice but apparently she came in and went as low as her voice could go and she hit it out of the park.

Phil Lamarr As John Stewart/GL and Steel were all great.

And even though Dana Tan had no overall character development Lauren Tom was excellent in that role.

One that surprised me and this is kinda :ot: Jennifer Hale who plays Giganta also plays a number of other sultry women in other series. I believe she was the voice of Felicia Hardy/Black Cat in the 1994 Spidey Series holy crap the voice gets me goin ok back on subject......

CCH Pounder as Waller excellent casting.

Bob Hastings doesn't get nearly enough recognition for his work as Jim Gordon.

Indeed! And let's not forget Robert Costanzo as the gruff but lovable Harvey Bullock.

Oh! We can't overlook the dry wit of Efrem Zimbalist as Alfred, or the coldness of Michael Ansara's Mr. Freeze.

Christ, the more I think about it, the more I realize everyone was perfect!

While I am probably the only listener of WFP who doesn't particularly like BTAS, Conroy's voice is pervasive. If only Christian Bale could have the subtlety he does.

I watched the whole run of JLU with my son Cade when he was around one year old. Now he's three and we are watching Batman Beyond. In the first few episodes of Batman Beyond, Terry as Batman was onscreen and Cade says to me: "Where's Batman?"

I said "That's Batman right there, son." Thinking it was the different costume than the other show and the comics that threw him off.

Then Bruce spoke, Cade said: "No, that's Batman." I was dumbfounded.

Hey everyone, great idea for the forums.

Michael Ironsideas Darkseid..

What better guy to voice one of Superman's greatest villains of all time. His voice is strong and harsh and chilling at times. Great voice acting here. He isn't too shy either to stay in the comic book world as he played General Sam Lane in Smallville.

Corey Burton as Brainiac..

Come on, if you're talking about great voices in the DCAU, this voice has to be on your top list. Always sounding menacing, cold and of course computer like this is a villain to never forget. He also voice Red Tornado on the new Batman series "The Brave and the Bold."

Ron Perlman as Clayface...

I just love his voice for this character, no particular reason. Ron Perlman plays great bad guys(Blade 2 also). As well as good good guy(Hellboy 1 and 2)

David Warner as Ra's Al Ghoul...

Possibly one of Batman's greatest adversary and ally. David Warner manages to bring to life this character in a way that not every voice actor can. Another bit of trivia; he played Jor-El in Season 1 of Lois and Clark and of course the scientist that developed the Ooze in TMNT 2.

Kevin Conroy as Batman/Bruce Wayne....

Taking a cue from Bud Coyler's portrayal of Superman in the 40's, Conroy develops the dual personality of Batman and Bruce Wayne and gives them different voices. This is the best portrayal of Batman through voice acting I have heard. Although, Jeremy Sisto did a great job in Justice League: New Frontier.

Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn...

Well what better voice can you get to stand side by side with Mark Hamill as The Joker. Here you have it, Arleen Sorkin has done a great job and tends to steal the show even from The Joker.

Mark Hamill as The Joker....

As a huge Joker fan, I'm definitely partial to this voice acting. Even as Mark Hamill has played similar live action role with The Trickster in The Flash TV Series(and reprised it as a voice in JLU)he does an amazing job.

Tim Daly/George Newbern as Superman/Clark Kent/Bizarro..

Well the voice acting is done really well and the transition between voice actors is sudden, but it works. George Newbern would continue in the non-DCAU cartoon The Batman voicing Superman.

Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor...

OMG, what can I say this is a great actor who is also a great voice actor. This voice portrayal has become so etched in the minds of viewers he was the only choice to voice Luthor in The Batman as well. Just great.

I'll have more soon

Guest DCAUFan1051

yeah Brown is a great voice actor when I heard Powers Boothe Voicing him in one of the superman animated flicks I was like no nonono

not to say that Mr. Boothe isn't an excellent voice actor but still he's better as Grodd then Luthor

When I think about the greatest voices in the DCAU, I ask one simple question:

Are they the definitive voice for that character?

For their respective characters, Kevin Conroy, Clancy Brown, Mark Hamill, Will Friedle, and Michael Ironside are all emphatic yes'es. On slightly smaller scales, since there aren't any others to compare them to, Maria Canals, Carl Lumbly, Michael Ansara, Arleen Sorkin, and Corey Burton are great, too. I LOVE David Warner's portrayal of Ra's al Ghul, and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it, but I'm not sure if I like his, or Liam Neeson's Batman Begins portrayal more. (Then again, I am a Ra's fanboy.)

Guys like Rosenbaum and Perlman are amazing in their own rights because they provide fantastic portrayal of several characters. For me, Perlman's Deathstroke is just chilling every time you hear him. I can't think of anyone else who could have done his voice better. And Rosenbaum as Flash was perfection in voice casting.

I think it all boils down to there being VERY FEW bad casting decisions by the DCAU crew. (Karkull, anyone?) These people knew how to find the best voices year after year.

Reasonable shoutout to guests that I love, even though they've worked on a much smaller scale:

Nathan Fillion as Vigilante

Jeffery Combs as The Question

And above all: John C. McGinley as The Atom.

Credit to Phil LaMarr, too. Green Lantern, Steel (in JLU, that is) and Static.

Guest DCAUFan1051
We should all give a huge shoutout to Andrea Romano who was the voice casting director. Even in Superman: Doomsday she always did a great job at finding the best voices for the job.

fixed :D

she is the casting director on Doomsday because IMDB says so and I saw her talking about the voices on the special features on the DVD :D

We should all give a huge shoutout to Andrea Romano who was the voice casting director. Even in Superman: Doomsday she always did a great job at finding the best voices for the job.

she is the casting director on Doomsday because IMDB says so and I saw her talking about the voices on the special features on the DVD :D

I think his point is that she did a bad job at casting Superman: Doomsday.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I think his point is that she did a bad job at casting Superman: Doomsday.

oohhh oops I thought it meant that she didn't do the voice direction in it lol forgive me I'm kinda out of it at the moment.

yeah Brown is a great voice actor when I heard Powers Boothe Voicing him in one of the superman animated flicks I was like no nonono

not to say that Mr. Boothe isn't an excellent voice actor but still he's better as Grodd then Luthor

The frustrating thing (OK, one of many) about that was watching it right after the end of JLU Season 3. Powers Boothe did such a bizarre job as Luthor. The whole time I watched it, I was thinking, "Why doesn't he just play Luthor the exact same way he did Grodd?" His portrayal of Grodd was so much closer to Lex Luthor than his actual portrayal of Luthor.

One of the things that has always set the DCAU apart is the caliber of voice acting - likely because the whole thing has bee taken so seriously, so they've been able to attract better talent and encourage them to bring their A game. Andrea Romano deserves a heartfelt congratulations for managing this side of things, without which the DCAU wouldn't be nearly as memorable. I like the criterion of "Is this the definitive portrayal?" When I'm reading something with this character, is this the voice I hear. To that end, and off the top of my head (I may leave out some who have already been commented on enough in my opinion, plus, let's face it - there are very few bad choices here):

BTAS

Kevin Conroy - goes without saying.

Davd Warner - I could just listen to him saying "Detective" for most of an episode.

Efram Zimbalist, Jr. - The episodes with Clive Revell (who, incidentally, played Emperor Palpatine in "The Empire Strikes Back" before the part was recast) - anyways, every time Alfred speaks, it's like a speed bump. And it's not that Mr. Revell is bad - Zimbalist just did such an outstanding job.

Robert Costanza as Bullock - and actually, he wouldn't do so bad as a live-action Harv, either...

Paul Williams, Arleen Sorkin, Mark Hamill, and Diane Pershing - of the Rogues, these were the ones who stood out the most - and like I said, given the overall casting, that's saying something.

STAS

Clancy Brown - No one has ever nailed Luthor like Brown. I read that he originally auditioned for Superman. I'm sure he would have done a fantastic job, but what a loss that would have been.

Michael Ironside & Corey Burton - Really, of the "Big 3" Superman villains, they nailed all 3.

Dana Delaney - Again, she just nailed it. Just a hint of that '40s cinema tough girl in her voice that really throws back to the Fleischer cartoons.

Justice League

All of the big 7 were very well done - I think that Phil Lamarr and Michael Rosenbaum really stood out. As far as other Leaguers...

Really, my favorite casting was the foursome of Kin Shriner, Morena Baccarin, Amy Acker, and Jeffrey Combs. Both as individuals and as groups, those four did a fantastic job. I thought that the couples had great chemistry (and I'm referring as much to the interaction/rivalry between Canary & Huntress and between Arrow and Question as the romantic couples).

Chris