Hulu

JackFetch

Anyone else here use Hulu? It's freakin awesome and has cut down my pirating of tv shows almost in half. Now the word is Disney will be coming on as a partner. That means ABC, ABC Family, and the Disney Channel will all be available. That means Lost, hell yeah.

There's chatter in the online world about the possibility of Disney signing on as a partner with News Corp. and NBC Universal in Hulu.

According to a report posted Friday on Paid Content, Hulu and the Mouse are in negotiations on a deal that could see Disney taking an equity stake in the Internet vid provider that has grown rapidly in the past year to become the No. 2 purveyor of video on the Web behind Google's YouTube. Reps for Disney and Hulu declined comment on the report.

Mouse insiders acknowledged that talks are underway but indicated that no deal was imminent, and they stressed that Disney has had ongoing conversations with a number of vid aggregator sites, including Hulu, about licensing ABC and Disney-produced shows for ad-supported Web streaming.

Disney was a trailblazer in offering full-length ABC shows for web-streaming online in 2006, but since then it has mostly kept its program offerings on ABC.com and the websites of its affiliate stations. NBC and Fox have taken the approach of allowing their shows to be widely distribbed on the web via Hulu, while CBS has inked deals with numerous Internet distrib partners to make its content widely available for streaming.

Hulu has been on a growth spurt in the past few months on the back of its first major consumer marketing push. In February, the service delivered nearly 309 million video streams.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800181...=1&nid=2562

• 1 month later...

It's official, Disney has bought a stake in Hulu.

Following the closing, content available to Hulu users will include:

* Full-length episodes of ABC primetime programs like Lost, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, Samantha Who?, Scrubs, Private Practice and popular late night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live

* Full-length episodes of hit ABC Family series like The Secret Life of the American Teenager and Greek

* Popular series from ABC Daytime and SOAPnet like General Hospital and The View

* Classic series from ABC’s library like Hope and Faith, Less Than Perfect, Commander in Chief, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Dancing with the Stars

* Select hit programs from Disney Channel like Wizards of Waverly Place and Phineas and Ferb which can be easily accessed from a new DISNEY location in the Channel section of Hulu.com

* Popular library titles from The Walt Disney Studios

* Short-form content including webisodes, sneak peeks and episode recaps from ABC Entertainment, ABC Family and SOAPnet

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2009043...deal-announced/

CBS is the only network not involved.

• 3 weeks later...
May 21, 2009, 01:57 PM ET

Hulu -- the home of a growing library of on-demand TV programming -- is expanding into more live content.

The site, a joint venture between News Corp, NBC Universal and most recently Disney, will on June 1 stream a live Dave Mathews Band concert from the Beacon Theatre in New York from 9:00 p.m. To 11:30 p.m. EST. The live-on-the-Web concert is being timed to promote the band's upcoming new album "Big Whiskey" and the "GrooGrux King," which is scheduled to be released June 2.

The live event represents something of a departure for Hulu, which primarily offers full episodes of current and classic network TV shows, along with full -length movies. The site did stream President Barack Obama's inauguration live last January.

Besides the concert, Hulu will begin offering various Dave Matthews Band videos on May 28, as well as the documentary "Scenes from Big Whiskey" which chronicles the making of the band's new album, as well as clips from the band's upcoming appearances on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" and the "Today Show."

The June 1 concert will also be available to viewers on demand following the live show.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...f9f497fbe0cbd29

Heard an interesting thing about Hulu. Apparently it has already broken it's break-even point, so it is now a profitable business. Which is amazing in this economic climate for an internet start-up-esq company. The theory I heard is because they can attract a better quality of advertiser and therefor charge more. The difference between it and YouTube is that not many serious advertisers want to be associated with a video of a kid igniting his own fart. But 100% of the content on Hulu has a ready made audience and advertising demographic.

Very interesting. I'm considering buying NewsCorp shares in the near future so I like that they are making small, successful inroads with regards to an online strategy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hulu is thinking of switching to a subscription based service according to CNN.

Hulu to charge subscription fee

Posted: 12:23 PM ET

Popular online video service Hulu will start charging subscription fees sometime next year, says News Corp. Deputy Chairman Chase Carey.

While speaking at a recent Broadcasting & Cable summit Carey announced his plans for Hulu: “I think a free model is a very difficult way to capture the value of our content. I think what we need to do is deliver that content to consumers in a way where they will appreciate the value. Hulu concurs with that, it needs to evolve to have a meaningful subscription model as part of its business.”

Hulu.com has attracted a large online audience by offering commercial-supported TV shows and movies from NBC, ABC, Fox, and other networks since 2007. However, the addition of a subscription fee may send most of Hulu's users searching for alternatives.

I use Hulu frequently to watch everything from Comedy Central's "Daily Show" to Fox's "Family Guy." I stomach the commercial interruptions in exchange for the high-quality streaming content, but I certainly won't be pulling out my credit card if the service puts up a subscription pay wall. And I doubt many other customers will be happy to start paying money for a service they previously received for free.

The move to a fee-based business model is a decision that will still have to be approved by the Hulu board, and I hope someone has the sense to blackball this idea. But common sense doesn't always prevail in the entertainment industry – if it did, we might still have "Arrested Development."

Posted by: Wes Finley-Price -- CNN.com Webmaster

Hulu, it was good while it lasted. Say hello to Geocities for me.

It could be a huge promotion. Announce something that will cause a huge backlash. Get a bunch of people to flock to the site. Announce you changed your mind about charging. Ad revenue goes up due to the huge increase in traffic.

Well then, that's fine with me. As long as they keep it free in the end, I'll be happy.