JackFetch

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New 'Tales From The Crypt' Series In Works

EXCLUSIVE: Fifteen years after horror anthology Tales from the Crypt ended its seven-year-run on HBO, a new TV series based on the popular and controversial 1950s EC Comics anthology is in the works with Gil Adler, producer on the HBO Crypt series, and Andrew Cosby, co-creator of Syfy hit Eureka and co-founder of comic book publisher BOOM! Studios. The new hourlong series will neither be anthological nor related to the HBO show. "It will be an ongoing series that uses characters from the comic books in a more modern context," Cosby said. "It's all about continually elevating the genre, for both existing fans of the source material and mainstream audiences." Cosby and Adler first started discussing reviving the franchise on TV and then approached Joel Eisenberg, whose company with Timothy Owens EMO Films had partnered with William M. Gaines Agent, Inc., the rightsholder of all EC-related properties, which is run by he late Crypt creator Gaines' daughter Cathy Gaines Mifsud, to exploit those properties. After a lengthy legal process to make sure that all rights have been properly secured, the TV series project is now moving forward with William M. Gaines Agent and EMO on board. Producing are Adler, Cosby and Steven Sawalich of Articulus Entertainment. Eisenberg will executive produce, while William Gaines' grandson Corey Mifsud will be credited as associate producer.

A detailed pitch and a bible for the new Crypt series have been completed, with producers expected to take the project out shortly. It will be pitched to broadcast networks as part of the current development cycle as well as to cable outlets. (There had been some rumblings about potential interest from HBO sister channel Cinemax, which has returned to original programming.) The producers are considering both a traditional network model and non-traditional route for the project, including fully financing the series, probably as an international co-production, before taking it to U.S. nets.

Source.

So, they're doing a series based off a horror anthology but the show itself is not going to be an anthology? To me, this is like someone deciding to remake The Twilight Zone only the show is focusing on the Rod Sterling narrator.

You all need to start watching. All of you.

What he said but I might think of sending Rape Whistle Ronald after you as well.

Up to Debate 109, and yeah, you guys are totally right. AWESOME show.

Plus, I think Preston has someone to challenge him for the Batman position:

The only thing I can think of that might lead a studio to think he's earned that kind of paycheck is the Toy Story movies. Not that Tim Allen was instrumental to their success, but that's the kind of thinking that guides Hollywood.

Allen is still getting residuals from Home Improvement, he made quite a bit from Toy Story last year, and it doesn't hurt that he stars in one of the most rerun Christmas movies of all time as well as how often Galaxy Quest (rightfully) gets rerun. But I'd say it's mostly his pay from Toy Story 3, it's DVD release, and all the merchandising, including the toys that use his name.

Walt Disney Pictures has halted production on The Lone Ranger, Deadline reports. This comes as surprising news as the project has been fully cast and was planned to begin shooting this fall.

Described by Verbinksi as "'Don Quixote' told from Sancho Panza's point of view," the film was to star Armie Hammer as the titular western hero with Johnny Depp as his Native American sidekick, Tonto. The supporting cast was to include Ruth Wilson, Dwight Yoakam, Helena Bonham Carter, James Badge Dale and Barry Pepper.

The reason for the move is said to be due to ballooning production costs and an increasingly expensive upcoming slate for the studio. Still, the most recent collaboration between Depp and producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, has grossed more than a billion dollars internationally. That film also belonged to a franchise launched by Verbinski.

Though planned for a December 21, 2012 release, the future of The Lone Ranger is now uncertain.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168183-disney-stops-production-on-the-lone-ranger

I bet Johnny Depp didn't like the script.

It's like I just stumbled into a video store and picked up "Heckraiser: The Saga of Pinface".

I mean, it's an obvious ashcan to retain the rights, but holy fuck, take some pride in your work.