Ultimate Spider-Man Animated Series

Koete

Marvel Studios has announced a new Spider-Man animated series, Ultimate Spider-Man, to begin the fall of 2011 on Disney XD.

Like the comic of the same name and the next Spider-Man live-action film, Ultimate Spider-Man will feature a teenage Peter Parker.

"Ultimate Spider-Man will be a unique journey exploring our favorite web-slinger as he teams up with other fan favorite Marvel Super Heroes in never before seen stories with a new life filled with great challenges, new friends, intense action and character growth," said Eric S. Rollman, the president of Marvel Animation.

Click on the thumbnail for a larger look at the first promo for the series.

In other Marvel Animation news, The Continuum has learned that it is, according to a source, "very unlikely" that there will be a second season of Wolverine and the X-Men.

Source

I am really tired of studios starting Spider-Man cartoons, only to drop them after a season or two.

Since 1999 we've had three Spider-Man cartoons:

Spider-Man Unlimited (1999) - 13 episodes

Spider-Man: The New Animated Series (2003) - 13 episodes

The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008) - 26 episodes

Stick with one!

I am really tired of studios starting Spider-Man cartoons, only to drop them after a season or two.

Stick with one!

Unlimited, cool as it was, was not very well-received. It was cancelled because it just wasn't that good.

"The New Animated Series" (or, rather, "the MTV series," as I remember it) wasn't really an attempt to start a full-fledged new series, but rather to briefly cash in on the Spider-Man movie hype with the college crowd.

Spectacular is the only one that really got cut off before its time.

That being said, though, I'm really excited for this new series. Ultimate Spider-Man was the book that got me into reading comics, and I'm very happy to see it getting the animated treatment.

Stick with one!

Spectacular was canceled?! Wow! Why?

And its surprising to see a Ultimate Spider-man cartoon, seeing as MTV Spider-man was originally going to be an ultimate spider-man cartoon.

In other Marvel Animation news, The Continuum has learned that it is, according to a source, "very unlikely" that there will be a second season of Wolverine and the X-Men.

I really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men so that makes me kinda sad, especially since it's already in productions with character models already having been drawn for some of the characters.

I have enjoyed every Spidey cartoon. Also, I'm sad about Wolverine and the X-Mem, but it just proves that not just spider-man , but all marvel cartoons get dropped after a season or two.

Well, I think it's just that those are examples of two shows that weren't given a lot of backing from Marvel/Disney. Really, they were just there just to have a Spider-Man/X-Men cartoon on the air and making money.

I was just listening to an interview with Kevin Conroy, and he said that the budget for BTAS was double wha any other animated series was at the time, just because WB was so deeply dedicated at the time to producing high-quality animation (in response to the Disney films). Hopefully, Disney/Marvel will do the same with their new shows. (doubtful, but hey, there's always the hope.)

• 3 months later...
While the big news out of Comic-Con International surrounding Marvel's upcoming animated adaptation of its hit "Ultimate Spider-Man" series was the creative involvement of original comic writer Brian Michael Benids, yesterday the creative team of the show got shored up by even more talent known for comics and cartoons alike.

MTV reports that Paul Dini, best known for his work on "Batman: The Animated Series" and many subsequent Batman comics, will come aboard the "Ultimate Spider-Man" show set to debut on Disney XD in 2011. Dini joins Bendis and the "Man of Action" team of comics and animation creators Duncan Rouleau, Joe Casey, Joe Kelly and Steven T. Seagle on the new series.

"Brian's work is a great part of the inspiration for the series, and the Man Of Action writers are going to handle the bulk of the episode scripting," Dini told MTV of the work division supervised by Marvel's new head of TV Jeph Loeb.

The writer went on to describe the series outlook in comparison to the original "Ultimate" comic by Bendis and Mark Bagley, saying, "There are elements that are going to come directly from the comics, and there are elements that are just going to take it into an entirely new and different direction — and yet, they're going to harken back to that particular iteration of Spider-Man...We're going to be pairing him up with new and different Marvel characters. There's going to be a lot of guest-star action, and there's going to be a redefinition of Peter Parker within the Spider-Man world. We're going to change a few things — nothing too dramatically, but you look at the Spider-Man concept from the early '60s and you take a look at where teens are now, and you realize you can't really go back and redo what was done so well in the comics. You have to ask, 'What if this was all happening today?'"

Source

• 7 months later...
Disney XD has released a description for the upcoming all-new Ultimate Spider-Man animated series, debuting late 2011/early 2012 on the network.

Announced during the Disney 2011 Upfronts, Disney XD has released the following description for the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man animated series from Marvel Animation. The upfront is an annual meeting hosted at the start of important advertising sales periods by television network executives, attended by the press and major advertisers. It allows marketers to buy commercial airtime "up front", or several months before the television season begins, and the press to get a look at upcoming programming events. The new Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon is cited as a cornerstone for the 2011 - 2012 Disney XD line-up.

Ultimate Spider-Man (new animated series)

The centerpiece of an upcoming Marvel programming block on Disney XD, this animated series from Marvel follows Peter Parker who, as the storyline begins, has been Spider-Man for just one year. He’s fought villains, saved lives, but still has much to learn about being a super-hero. Now, Nick Fury gives Peter the chance to go to the next level — to train to be a real super-hero and become The Ultimate Spider-Man. But before he can do that, Peter will have to learn how to work with a team of fellow teenage super-heroes. The series’ award-winning creative team includes Paul Dini (“Batman: The Animated Series,” “Lost”), the creative powerhouse Man of Action Studios (creators of “Ben 10″ and “Generator Rex”), comprised of lauded creators Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau and Steven T. Seagle; and Brian Michael Bendis (visionary behind Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man comic series).

Source

CS: I think so too. I heard you're voicing the character in the upcoming "Ultimate Spider-Man" animated show, right?

Simmons: Yeah, I just started doing that. I don't know when the show's gonna be out, but yeah, J.J.J. lives on in my career at least (Laughs) for a while with the new cartoon show, yeah.

Read more: Exclusive: Spotlight on J.K. Simmons - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75253#ixzz1GxvUwJF8

SOLD.

CS: I think so too. I heard you're voicing the character in the upcoming "Ultimate Spider-Man" animated show, right?

Simmons: Yeah, I just started doing that. I don't know when the show's gonna be out, but yeah, J.J.J. lives on in my career at least (Laughs) for a while with the new cartoon show, yeah.

Read more: Exclusive: Spotlight on J.K. Simmons - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75253#ixzz1GxvUwJF8

SOLD.

X2