2011 Oscars

dc20willsave

The Complete nomination list is up here. For some reason, they left Colin Firth off the est Actor nominees. Expect that to get fixed shortly.

Wow, just wow. Christopher Nolan's Best Director snub ruins my hopes for a surprise upset win in Best Picture. Natalie is winning Best actress but it's nice that Michelle Williams got a nomination. Hailee getting a supporting actress nod is what I was expecting though I wasn't expecting her to knock Mila Kunis out of the race. It'll be fun to see if Leo can keep her momentum.

As for best picture, I'm cheering for Black Swan but it's going to be between The King's Speech and The Social Network. Both are splitting all the precursor awards so it's close. If the awards went out tomorrow, I honestly don't know who I would say is going to win.

Aside from critics, I haven't heard anyone praise The Kids are Alright at all. And Nolan not being on there can only be a testament to how good the other films were - I really haven't seen much of 2010's output though, so I'm not the greatest person to judge.

Ha, Iron Man 2 has an Oscar nod! Granted it's for visual effects (which weren't shabby, admittedly), but I'm sure that'll go down well at SuperheroHype....

If Hailee does not with for Best Supporting, there will be blood. There will also be blood if The Social Network wins... well, anything, to be honest. Or if Helena Bonham Carter wins.

Here're my predictions/silly hopes:

Best Pic - Black Swan (or True Grit)

Best Actor - Jeff Bridges (or Colin Firth)

Best Supporting - Geoffery Rush

Best Actress - Natalie Portman

Best Supporting - HAILEE

Best Animated - Toy Story 3 (though I'd like it to be How to Train Your Dragon)

Adapted Screenplay - True Grit

Original Screenplay - Inception

Aside from critics, I haven't heard anyone praise The Kids are Alright at all.

It isn't a bad film, but it is an overrated one. Greenberg should have gotten the nomination instead.

I'm going to try and see The King's Speech and True Grit this weekend, then the only Best Picture nominee I haven't seen will be 127 Hours. Right now, I'm pulling for Winter's Bone to win in the Best Picture, Best Actress, and Best Adapted Screenplay categories. Maybe even Best Supporting Actor, but Bale is tough to beat.

At this very moment. I'd go:

Best Picture: The King's Speech. It won the Producer's Guild award which is often what spells out who wins best picture.

Best Actor: Colin Firth. They can make up for not giving it to him for A Single Man.

Best Actress: Natalie Portman. She's been sweeping up all the precursor awards, she's got the baby going for her, and she has a movie that was #1 at the box office this past weekend. It will take a strong campaign by Annette Benning for Natalie to lose.

Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale. It would take something big for anyone else to win. Geoffrey Rush maybe.

Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo. However, this is going to be where we get our surprise because the Academy obviously loves True Grit. It'll be out spoiler and I can see Hailee Steinfeld pulling a win here.

Best Director: Tom Hooper. It's almost always same film as Best Picture but I'm kinda pulling for the Coens.

Best Original Screenplay: Inception. This is where Nolan will get recognized. However, The King's Speech will probably upset.

Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network. Same as Inception thought True Grit will be the spoiler.

Tangled is a beautiful movie. I just... I wish it deviated from the Disney formula just a little. I get that they were going for a traditional Disney animated movie, but it felt like their big chance to move things forward and do something I wasn't expecting. They didn't.

How To Train Your Dragon doesn't look as good, but I enjoyed the story a little more. It's still pretty standard stuff, but I really liked the characters and I thought the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless was handled really well. Plus it's just nice to see a Dreamworks film that's not so obnoxious.

I still enjoyed Toy Story 3 the most.

I really, really want to see The Illusionist too. I watched trailers for it ages ago, and I've been waiting for a chance to watch it ever since.

Tangled is a beautiful movie. I just... I wish it deviated from the Disney formula just a little. I get that they were going for a traditional Disney animated movie, but it felt like their big chance to move things forward and do something I wasn't expecting. They didn't.

Agreed. I mean, Mother Gothel is one of my favorite Disney villains and there are a ton of awesome ones to choose from It's a shame she wasn't in a movie where the villains got to win or at least got a nice vacation home in Maui.

James franco has the range of just about anyone who ever acted. and at a young age. he is amazing in just about everything he does, which is saying alot coming from me. I usually dont like the pretty boy type actor. unless they show me something. and if bale wins best supporting actor he better send a new car to walhberg because it takes one hell of an actor to make bale look good.

check out the new Tirades episode hitting next friday. Its shameless I know, but hell what else are you gonna do.

If bale wins best supporting actor he better send a new car to walhberg because it takes one hell of an actor to make bale look good.

Wait, what?!?! :blink:

I agree on James Franco though - he was one of the best things about the Spider-Man trilogy and every film he's done since has been pretty different (apart from his cameo in The Green Hornet - check out the next audio segment of Comic Reel-lief, because I also have a low shame threshold!).

James franco has the range of just about anyone who ever acted. and at a young age. he is amazing in just about everything he does, which is saying alot coming from me. I usually dont like the pretty boy type actor. unless they show me something. and if bale wins best supporting actor he better send a new car to walhberg because it takes one hell of an actor to make bale look good.

This has to be the singlehanded most insane thing posted on these forums. In a world where Suavestar exists, that's quite a feat. Congratulations on your incredibly misguided tastes.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

My final Predictions:

Best Picture

Who I want to Win: Black Swan

Who Will Win: The King's Speech.

There's enough backlash against The Social Network to ensure it won't win. Older voters won't get the film and others will still remember that this is "That Facebook movie."

Best Director

Who I Want To Win: David Aronofsky

Who Will Win: David Fincher.

This is where Social Network will get recognized. I will agree it's a well put together film as far as directing goes. Just not the best film of the year.

Best Actor

Who I Want to Win: James Franco, 127 Hours

Who Will Win: Colin Firth, The King's Speech.

I could say that this is just an award for year's of great work and making up for him getting snubbed last year but no, Firth has this one wrapped up. Franco is the only one I can see pulling off a win.

Best Actress

Who I want To Win, Who Will Win: Natalie Portman, Black Swan.

Portman was fucking awesome, she has momentum, and the academy loves pregnant actresses. Portman will win or something went horribly wrong. She is a lock. She's not losing. End of story.

Best Supporting Actor

Who I want To Win Who Will Win: Christian Bale, The Fighter.

Here's where our big upset could come in. Sure, it would be nice for Geoffrey Rush to win but Bale is winning here.

Best Supporting Actress

Who I want To Win: Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit

Who Will Win: Melissa Leo, The Fighter.

This is the most wide-open category. Kids tend not to win BUT none of the precursor awards could definitively decide who was going to win this. Amy Adams could steal votes from Melissa giving Hailee the hole to slip in. Hell, Helena Bonham-Carter could slip in for that matter.

Best Original Screenplay

Who I want to Win: Inception.

Who Will Win: The King's Speech.

Let me start out with one simple thing. THE KING'S SPEECH IS FUCKING ADAPTED. IT IS NOT ORIGINAL. IT SHOULD NOT BE THERE. WHAT THE FUCK!!! That said, Inception should win here as a make-it-up to Nolan award for his directing snub. It won't and fuck you King's Speech for that.

Best Adapted Screenplay

Who I want to Win: True Grit

Who Will Win: The Social Network.

This is The Social Network's Bone. Does it deserve it? Not especially. But ehh, it happens.

Best Animated Film

Who I Want to Win: The Illusionist

Who Will Win: Toy Story 3

I love hand drawn animation. So sue me.

This has to be the singlehanded most insane thing posted on these forums. In a world where Suavestar exists, that's quite a feat. Congratulations on your incredibly misguided tastes.

:)

A-fuckin'-men

Overall thoughts on the show: kinda boring. None of the wins were all that surprising. The entire night was rather conventional and all of the wins in the major categories went to the people you were expecting. Really, not a single upset in the entire night. As for the hosts, Franco and Hathaway were cute. Not awesome, Franco was obviously stoned by the end of the night, but overall, cute. Now let's get a real host like Neil Patrick Harris for next year. He's hosted every other major award show so the Oscars are only next.

One interesting note: Inception won as many awards at the Best Picture Winner The King's Speech. This isn't as bad as a few years back when The Aviator won one more awards than the Best Picture Winner No Country For Old Men or in 72 when Cabaret won 8 Oscars as opposed to the Best Picture Winner The Godfather which won 3.