Episode 439

RSS

Ian translates Christian Bale's Batman into the Queen's English, James valiantly fights a cold, Mike gives a frightening insight into his dreamscape, and all three hosts sing as they finally finish (for now) their Dark Knight Discussions by discussing The Dark Knight. [ 5:42:18 || 164.7 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_439.mp3

Well done guys, as always.

The 5 people dead thing has always been the one thing that no one I know can figure it out, and someone told me that Nolan intentionally kept that vague which is a bit of a cheat admittedly. In terms of the scoring, I do enjoy BB a bit more than this because it is more accessable and it feels more like Batman. At the same time the quality of the storytelling and the iconic performances do make this a better film in my opinion.

I would have thought there would be a lot more forum responses than this by now.

I'm still only at 2:27:47 on it.

Also, a vast majority of us are in Chicago at the moment. (Hotel computer FTW!)

Just starting the episode, so a quick thought:

Joker kept the bank manager alive because he wanted to let the mob know who he was, and what he was capable of. Also, it's the Joker, he'd keep the guy alive, and use the fake smoke grenade to just fuck with the guys head.

The special feature where you could see the first scene of TDK was on the Batman Begins Blu-Ray when it was just released.

I would have thought there would be a lot more forum responses than this by now.

I'm still only at 2:27:47 on it.

Also, a vast majority of us are in Chicago at the moment. (Hotel computer FTW!)

how long are you guys in Chicago, It would be cool to meet everyone since all I have seen is a few pictures and heard your voices, granted I have heard your voices many many many MANY times

Something dawned on me as I listend back to this episode. Did Batman kill Dent? I mean, he knocked him off of the ledge, sending the man to his death. Doesn't that count as a kill?

Ra's al Ghul's death was a matter of not saving him, which I'm okay with. But the death of Harvey Dent, not so much.

In an unrelated note, how does one make Ra's possessive: Ra's' or Ra's's? It's the former, yes?

I'm okay with Batman essentially killing Two Face, ironically due to two considerations: positioning & time.

As Dent turns his attention to the coin, Batman has maybe 3 in which to act and can't leave James' fate to chance, as it may result in his death (that and Bats can't be sure that Dent won't pull a Tommy Lee Jones and ignore the outcome). Realistically, all he can do is tackle Two Face or throw a ninja bat star at him.

The problem with the bat star is that Dent is still backing onto a drop. Hit him in the head and he's still falling backwards. Hitting him in the hand/arm that's holding the gun is also too risky as the impact might lead to his muscles tightening & pulling the trigger involuntarily, or he might miss and hit James square in the head, making Batman the killer instead. I know he's Batman and meant to have great accuracy, but he has just been shot and is wearing a batsuit that is more susceptible to gunfire, as established by Fox.

Essentially, Batman took a calculated risk to save the boy. Given that the drop isn't MUCH greater than the one that crippled Maroni, Bruce may have thought that Dent could survive if he had a fortunate landing. But James Gordon is the priority and he can't possibly save both from a fall at the same time. I think you have to chalk it up as manslaughter - Batman didn't mean to kill him but had to do something risky to save an innocent boy's life.

On a lighter note (!), I forgot just how much we covered in the recording, not to mention me busting out some Simon & Garfunkel as heard at the end! Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I was never bothered by Dent dying by Batman as I was with Ra's "dying" in Begins. That was my ONLY problem with the movie, because it is legitimately out of character for him to do that.

But with Two-Face, his only concern was saving James Jr. That doesn't correlate to him having to conceed with intentionally killing Two-Face, he just went at him when the timing was the best. As it happened, Two-Face died, but IMO I don't think it's Batman's fault as such to say that "HE KILLED TWO FACE". Two-Face died as a result of Batman's actions, but wtf else was he to do really? It's not as though Two Face was gauranteed to die, he just kind of did. I don't know if that makes any sense but essentially, while Two Face did die due to Batman's actions and wouldn't if Batman didn't tackle him, Batman still didn't kill him persay.

Anyone ever notice that the reveal that they're over a huge ledge isn't even hinted at until Batman tackles Two Face? It may just be me, but that always comes out of nowhere.