Episode 465

RSS

What did y'all think about the review? Feedback on my opinion of the film is great, but what I want to know is what you thought about my solo review. Would you like to hear more of these; where can I improve; was it too long, too short, the right length?

I'll preface this by saying that I don't generally think solo podcasts are a good idea. It's why I scuppered my own idea early in it's conception, solo podcasters lose greater perspective without someone to bounce ideas off. They tend towards hyperbolic momentum as a way to ensure that they always have something to talk about and as a result tend towards extremes. Ian manages to avoid this by carefully scripting his efforts and keeping them comparatively short. Des mixes up solo and work with partners so he's always on point. The only properly solo podcast I do listen to is Five Star Radio on Figure Four, and that's because the host falls into the aforementioned habits with such energy, humour and above all knowledge that it's enjoyable.

All that being said, I did enjoy this. You covered all the relevant areas of the film and kept an even and open mind about the whole thing. You never strayed too far from the subject at hand and I'd really like to see more from you in this vein, your years as a podcaster have given you the skills and temperament to pull this off by yourself.

Many of earth-2's shows tend toward exhaustive beat-by-beat deconstruction of a film and as great as that often is it's not always required. I'd like to see more varied takes on new films just because it creates more accessible relevant material for the site. There's a lot of big movies that are suitable to be covered every year and it's nice to have a qualified opinion while they're still actually screening.

I agree pretty much with your analysis of the film. In the moment, I loved the scene where the young Magneto goes apeshit and that scene was what hooked me, but I guess I'll have to see it again to see if the CGI was as atrocious as you said it was.

As for solo shows, I think this episode was a tad short but still enjoyable. I think your solo commentary of Superman/Batman: Apokolips and your review of recent DC books as far back as Episode 95 were really good solo shows and think that reviews of that mold lend themselves solo shows better than a forty-minute run-through of a two-hour movie.

Finally got a chance to listen to this. Haven't seen the film yet, so I can't speak to that, but as a review I thought it was great. Not everyone can do a solo podcast, but you were engaging throughout.

Yes, stick to careful scripting, Mike! It may sound stilted, but as long as you ramp up your accent to an absurd degree, people won't notice!! I do prefer the CRs that I prepare properly than my stream of consciousness ones, even if the latter are more indicative of the thought process.

I very much liked this - it felt like the essence of the earliest eps of The Show before Jenny was introduced, and whilst they weren't technically the best episodes, they did lay the foundations that the podcast now proudly rest upon. The argument was measured to the extent that my own CR review is going to have to be re-written in order not to sound like I'm copying you!! Whether or not it's comic book movies you'd be focusing upon (and yes, my poor trodden toes!), I'd like to hear more because aside from the content of Better in the Dark, the Tranquil Tirades, and, until very recently Married to Movies, the only films Earth-2 makes a big deal about are those based upon comics. And Saw, but that's in the past!

Bottom Line: Do more of these! More free entertainment for my aural pleasure, please!

I thought Shaw's was one of those powers that was always on, like Xavier's, Logan's, and Rogue's.

It may have been initially, but like Xavier he probably learned control over it. Unlike Rogue and Wolverine, Shaw demonstrates the ability to manipulate his abilities.

Dang. Beat me to yard of ale.

Halfway through the review and I really enjoy this Mike. Probably my favorite film review on the Show to date.

Question: it's coming to my shitty local theatre tomorrow and was thinking of taking the boys to a matinee this weekend. Suitable or no? It's PG so I can't imagine its bad.

Great episode, Mike. You held it together well, and kept me interested, like you usually do in the solo episodes you rarely do. However:

I think Magneto was only able to beat Shaw because Charles was holding him in suspended form and was unable to use his mutant powers, and Magneto only put the coin slowly through Shaw's head as revenge for killing his mother in cold blood and doing horrible things to Erik for several years, as part of the Nazi regime.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review! I've been dying to chat with someone about this movie, but I don't know anyone else who has seen it. They had the same issue that you had of being burned by X3 and Wolverine, and my wife HATES the White Queen, so she wouldn't go with me.

I don't know why, but it took me about 2 hours after the review to remember who the second cameo appearance you were talking about.

I had the same thought about the coin. A good slow pace was the only way.

A question hit me later on was why didn't Magneto ever get some more of those snazzy helmets for the rest of his crew? He has a different helmet when X1 comes out, so it's possible to get more. Why so stingy Magneto!?!?

I guess you could say Magneto is selfish and doesn't want to share his awesome helmet with anybody else. But you really can't take First Class too seriously as a prequel to X-Men because of all the continuity errors. Like Xavier explaining how he and Magneto built Cerebro, when really Hank McCoy built the whole thing by himself. He's also surprised to discover that Magneto had found a way to block him in X-Men. I guess you could explain this by saying Charles accidentally wiped some of his memories when he was erasing Moira's. That's not too big of a stretch, is it?

I did have one question, though: Why did Shaw explode after he was killed? He absorbed a butt-load of energy and that energy has to be released somehow, right?