Cars 2

Gareth

Cars was a fairly standard kids' film, not anything brilliant on the level of say, Up or Toy Story 3 or Wall-E. If they were looking for that going into the sequel, then yeah, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find it up to snuff.

Put it this way; Cars is their only real franchise film in the sense that they can sell the shit out of merchandise with it. Their other films? Not so much.

Put it this way; Cars is their only real franchise film in the sense that they can sell the shit out of merchandise with it. Their other films? Not so much.

Man, surely Toy Story sells a ton of... well toys. And other stuff. I'm sure there are Toy Story lunch boxes and backpacks that sold well too.

Man, surely Toy Story sells a ton of... well toys. And other stuff. I'm sure there are Toy Story lunch boxes and backpacks that sold well too.

I've heard that the Cars stuff sold extremely well, I don't see why personally but apparently it was very marketable, especially when adapting it to existing products or as part of cross-promotions. I guess because Cars are very accessible toys. They probably sell a greater variety of products to a wider audience than say Ratatouille, Up or Finding Nemo. Yes I'm guessing others like Toy Story or Monsters Inc are marketable, but they both got sequels as well.

Oh yeah, I've heard that Cars was very profitable on that front. It may well be their most profitable in terms of merchandise. I just don't believe it's the only film they can "sell the shit out of merchandise" with. Hell, I'm sure all the Pixar films actually did pretty well with the toys and stuff they created for them, even if Cars did the best.

I mean yeah, Toy Story definitely sold pretty well at first, but I don't think they did so much with the sequels, not that I can remember, at least. Cars just seems to be this full on merchandising blitz that I've never seen before iwth them. I mean sure, Finding Nemo and Wall-E had some exclusive stuff at Disney World/Land/etc like mugs and figures, but I don't see any of their other films selling bedspreads, clothes, toys, tie in books, etc quite on the level that Cars does.

The upcoming CR dealing with Priest, X-Men First Class & Green Lantern has a distinct "judge for yourself, not what others say" theme (which is arguably self-defeating!), but I like the fact this thread has resulted in an appraisal of Pixar. On my part, I haven't seen a Pixar film since The Incredibles for one reason or another, but I haven't seen a bad one yet. And I will fight people that hate A Bug's Life.

The upcoming CR dealing with Priest, X-Men First Class & Green Lantern has a distinct "judge for yourself, not what others say" theme (which is arguably self-defeating!), but I like the fact this thread has resulted in an appraisal of Pixar. On my part, I haven't seen a Pixar film since The Incredibles for one reason or another, but I haven't seen a bad one yet. And I will fight people that hate A Bug's Life.

And I will back you up. A Bug's Life is probably in my top 5 as far as the Disney/Pixar films go.

I love A Bug's Life.

The upcoming CR dealing with Priest, X-Men First Class & Green Lantern has a distinct "judge for yourself, not what others say" theme (which is arguably self-defeating!)

I think this summer really has been bizarre in that so many films' quality is subjective.

On that note, am I the only one out there who doesn't like Finding Nemo or The Incredibles? I recognize them as competently-crafted films but they don't really do it for me.

I think that Finding Nemo is hugely overrated, but it still isn't a bad film. The Incredibles is best comic book movie that isn't a CBM. It's great stuff.

On that note, am I the only one out there who doesn't like Finding Nemo or The Incredibles? I recognize them as competently-crafted films but they don't really do it for me.

I think that Finding Nemo is hugely overrated, but it still isn't a bad film. The Incredibles is best comic book movie that isn't a CBM. It's great stuff.

No. Told you many times, watch Unbreakable. That's the best non-comic comic-book movie.

Also I saw Finding Nemo three times in cinemas and got a little misty-eyed every time. Pixar only managed to surpass that again with the end of Toy Story 3 which I also sat through three times fighting back the tears with a massive lump in my throat.