The Munsters reboot

While NBC begins casting their reinvisioned "The Munsters" we decided to do a little digging and find out more about the planned television series set to begin filming next February.

We're exclusively told by insiders that this will NOT be a remake of the original 1964 series that starred Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis and Yvonne De Carlo as a family of friendly monsters have misadventures never quite realizing why people react to them so strangely.

The modern take will instead be strange hybrid of the popular comedy "Modern Family" and HBO's "True Blood". While the series will be dark there will be a lot of heart and comedic elements. While I'm a huge fan of Bryan Fuller's "Dead Like Me", his "Pushing Daisies" never grabbed my attention, and frankly neither were any good at character development. The follow, though, gives me some series hope. There are a lot of interesting people moving into 1313 Mockingbird Lane...

The pilot episode, which is to be directed by Bryan Singer - who also was behind the camera for the "House" pilot, Superman Returns and X-Men - will focus on 10-year-old Eddie Munster who is unaware that he's a werewolf, and that his family is composed of terrifying creatures. The madness begins when a baby bear attacks a scouting trip, only it turns out that this "bear" is actually Eddie transformed into a werewolf. Eddie is unaware of his metamorphosis and it forces the family to move in order to protect the family secret. The coming of age story gets weirder as he fights against his family when he learns of a shocker: they're a family of flesh-eaters!

A few other random character notes: Lily Munster has an eating disorder and eats suicide victims. Grandpa Munster is a 600-year-old shapeshifter, and Marilyn Munster was adopted when her mother tried to eat her as a baby.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27447

I'm a big fan of Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies. If this is anything like them, I'll be happy. It won't be though. It'll be crap because it's NBC.

Well, there went all hope I had for this thing. I saw Bryan Fuller and I had hope. Then I saw comedy about cannibalism or something like that. Just... no. I love Pushing Daisies, early Dead Like Me, and Wonderfalls. Really, this all seems to be missing the point of the original series.

Also, the guy writing this article is a dumbass. Most of Fuller's shows were ripe with character development.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
British actress Charity Wakefield is set to co-star opposite Eddie Izzard in NBC’s Munsters reboot Mockingbird Lane. The pilot, written by Bryan Fuller and to be directed by Bryan Singer, is described as a reinvention of the 1960s sitcom about a family of “monsters” – vampires, werewolves and Frankenstein and their “plain” cousin (Wakefield) — with striking visuals in the vein of Fuller’s ABC dramedy Pushing Daisies. Wakefield will play Marilyn, Lily’s beautiful niece and the only “normal” Munster (which makes her rather abnormal). Saved from being devoured by her own mother as an infant, she lives with the Munsters but has not inherited any of their special attributes. A college student who believes in good manners and congeniality toward the new neighbors, she regularly clashes with Grandpa (Izzard), but she gets along well with Aunt Lily and Uncle Herman, as well as with her young cousin Eddie. Beverly Owen created Marilyn in the first episodes of the original series, replaced by Pat Priest for most of its run.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/charity-wakefield-casting-munsters-reboot-mockingbird-lane-marilyn-nbc/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I watched it on Hulu yesterday. There were some good parts to it, namely all of the actors did a hell of a job and the second half had some great dark humor that I loved. It's just... the first half dragged and felt like, "How the hell could they do a second episode of this?" I know it ain't happening but it might be nice if it did go to Series based off of this just so I could see. One other complaint: Portia Di Rossi is completely wasted. The only thing that Lily Munster really does is either be sexy or be mommy briefly. The Marilyn character, who I think really was the star of the pilot at times, had more to do. I'd say it's worth checking out but it's definitely flawed.