Every comic you've read in 2012

Missy

Superboy #1-11 (2011)

This doesn't quite feel like the rest of Jeff Lemire's work in that it's missing a tiny something, but what that is I cannot put my finger on. That said, it's a very solid 11-issue run. I also appreciate it for the fact that it's a different kind of Superboy story. It starts out with fights against The Parasite and Poison Ivy, and becomes a big mystical adventure with The Phantom Stranger. That's something you rarely see in even a single issue of Superboy, never mind 11.

If you see the volume collecting the entire run, get it.

Comics: 163 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 1

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harbinger #26-41 + Harbinger Files #1 and 2: Wow...this is somewhat new ground for me. I dropped off of Valiant stuff after issues 25 and only bought the sporadic issue here and there. I initially thought the focus of the book shifted from Peter to Faith, but there's elements here that truly spotlight Faith as the main character of the series all along. I'm kind of shocked at how consistently good it is throughout. Though, the art gets a little crappy near the end. In fact, Faith, who's always been portrayed as an overweight teenager, shifts weirdly in the last few issue to a buxom, sexy, blonde ass-kicker. She never dons a bathing suit or anything, but it is still a little weird. Though, I suppose you can't really blame some of the artists (there were two of them I think) for not being able to dra wa woman with a real body type. Fantastic reading nonetheless. I think Magnus the Robot Fighter is next.

Comics: 329

Graphic Novels: 24

Trades: 11

Omnibus: 4

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 522

PunisherMAX #1-5

Scalped #1-5

Wolverine and the X-Men #1-4

Hulk #8 (1999)

Several times a year I watch Hulk vs. Wolverine, and did so again the other night. To compliment that, I then read this issue, which is very similar in style and tone to the short movie. It's fun and brutal, which is everything a Hulk vs. Wolverine story should be. Also, it's by Erik Larsen and Ron Garney, and stars a bone-clawed Wolverine. I love this issue!

Comics: 178 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 1

Amazing Spider-Man:

The Life & Death of Spiders (#46-50)

Happy Birthday (#57-58, 500-502)

The Book of Ezekiel (#503-508)

Skin Deep (#515-518)

New Avengers (#519-524)

Civil War (#532-538)

Found that my (non)-local library had more of less a complete run of Amazing Spider-Man. I would say most of this has been average. Not a fan of the magical things that the first 3 trades dealt with. And since I knew the endgame of Civil War, it kinda lacks the punch that was intended. Now to deal with the other 20 trades sitting on the floor.

Trades: 21 (128.5)

Marvel Two-in-One #24

Based on Suave's post about the issue elsewhere, I thought I'd give it a look. And. Oh. My. God! This is freaking amazing! The villain wants to steal some of Tony Stark's prototypes to sell on the black market. To accomplish this, he smashes into the building with his Crime-Tank, which is a cross between the Bashasaurus and Attak Trak. Upon seeing this, The Thing yells, "Holy Toledo!"

Must. Own. That. Page!

Christ! We need the 70s back!

Comics: 179 || Collections: 18 || Graphic novels: 1

Spider-Man: Back in Black

Spider-Man, Peter Parker: Back in Black

Collecting:

Amazing Spider-Man #539-543

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #17-23, A1

Sensational Spider-Man #35-40, A1

Spider-Man Family #1-2

My main problem is that these stories are not tied together very well. The tone set in Amazing is not followed thru in the rest of the books and that annoys. The only thing tying these together is that Peter is wearing the black costume. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the Clayton Crain and Salvador Larroca art.

Trades: 23 (150.5)

Spider-Man: Quality of Life - The digital art is so bad that no matter how good the story was (and it was below average), the book would have been horrid.

Spider-Man/Doctor Octopus: Negative Exposure - Predictable from page one. Should have seen that one coming.

Secret Invasion: The Amazing Spider-Man- Normally I wouldn't rag on a tie-in book. However, if Spider-Man's name is on the cover, I want Spider-Man. If you wanted to tell this Jackpot story, call it SI: Jackpot. Not hard.

Trades: 26 (162.5)

Spectacular Spider-Man: Here, There Be Monsters (#11-14) - Picks up from where Quality of Life ends. So that was nice. But the Damion Scott art is just bad. The painted Paolo Rivera issue was a welcome one off tale.

Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition - Amazing #529-531, #544-545, Friendly #24 & Sensational #41 - Library didn't have the One More Day trade so this took its place. Gotta say, I was not impressed. For the 'game changer', I was not engrossed in the story and was kinda skimming the last issue. Guess it doesn't help that I knew the punchline, but sometimes the delivery can overcome that fact. This was not one of those times.

Trades: 28 (173.5)

Peter Parker, Spider-Man: Trials & Tribulations (#35, 37 48-50) - Completely forgettable. I read this maybe five days ago and I only vaguely remembered anything.

Marvel Knight Spider-Man: Down Among The Dead Men (#1-4)

Marvel Knight Spider-Man: Venomous (#5-8)

I enjoyed the fact that everything was not wrapped up in each trade, and that the story has enough for a trade, but let the overarching story go on longer.

Sensational Spider-Man: Feral (#23-27) - I really like Clayton Crain. Although, having him do one issue, it does not flow well with the rest of the book.

Sensational Spider-Man: Civil War (#28-34) - This was better than the Amazing Civil War stuff. I really liked the focus on the people around Peter (May, MJ, Black Cat, his student). I think reading these along with the Amazing issues would have made for a better overall experience. Also, another Clayton Crain issue.

Trades: 33 (198.5)

Gotham Central #11-15:

More gritty goodness from Brubaker, Rucka, and Lark, but the one-off with the girl who turns on the Bat-Signal engaged me more than the Joker story, which, thought not bad, felt like a wrought urban crime story that I'd read or scene before elsewhere. My only gripe with the story is that Joker survived being shot point blank in the chest without a bullet-proof vest. I know he has a history of defying death, but he shouldn't be conscious and laughing in a hospital bed right after being shot.

Batman #1-7:

Has cemented Scott Snyder as one of my favorite writers and added Greg Capullo to my list of favorite artists. I'll definitely be diving into the Court of Owls crossover once the price of the digital issues go down to $1.99.

Animal Man #1-6:

First issue is worth all the praise that everyone from Mike and Dan to Des and Chris have levied upon it and the issues that follow do not disappoint. The art isn't quite for me, but is still good overall and produces some amazing visuals (e.g. the dead hippos). Plus, Lemire is a genius when it comes to page layouts.

The Flash #1-5:

Perfectly average story but with breathtaking art. Like Lemire, Manapul is a master of visual storytelling. I like that Barry hasn't fully mastered his powers yet as well as the motivations of his friend's hostile clones, but I don't think either aspect of the story was executed as well as they should have been. The last panel and the fact that Captain Cold will be a major part of the next story arc intrigues me a bit, but chances are I won't be picking up those issues too soon.

New X-Men #114-155 + New X-Men Annual #1 (Grant Morrison's entire run):

I will have something to say about this in the 30-Day Comic Challenge eventually. I promise.

Collections: 11

Issues: 75

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man: Mystery Date (#11-16) - More Civil War time comics. I am really not a fan of the red & gold. I do like the focus being on the supporting cast, rather than the three main characters.

Spider-Man: House of M - I remember hearing somewhere that House of M was not kind to Spider-Man. I think this must have happened in the main book, as I got none of that here.

Spectacular Spider-Man: The Final Curtain (#21, 22, 27 & Peter Parker Spider-Man #39-41) - Totally random collection that is way too wordy. I liked the poker game issue.

Spider-Man/Fantastic Four: Silver Rage (#1-4) - The Good? Reminds me of an old Marvel Team-Up. The Bad? Reminds me of and old Marvel Team-Up. Look, I love MTU, but the best part of those were their (generally) one and done nature. This really didn't need to exist as a mini. Could have been done in an oversized one-shot or not made.

Trades: 37 (219.5)

Magnus, The Robot Fighter #1-64: Fuck. That was a lot of robot fighting. The story is pretty fucking consistent. I loved that valiant books took chances back then. How about we disappear and move forward in time about 17 years to have our hero as an older man with a teenage son? Why the fuck not. Tony Bedard's written issues are great. The art by a guy named Grey on a few issues later in the run is brilliant. Like, one of my new favorite artists brilliant. Moebius-like. Awesome. Even if the artist switches from Valiant house-style to a bit of an Image ripoff at times (like a lot of Valiant titles) it's still a consistent read.

Comics: 393

Spider-Man: The Extremist (Web of Spider-Man #8-12) - A little weird getting into this as I have little grasp on the post OMD/BND status-quo. Also, the art is bad.

X-Men/Spider-Man - I am torn. I like the fact that this tells a story in four different points in time. However, these flashbacks do not work. The fight with the Marauders doesn't have the same tone as the "Fall of the Mutants" deathfest did. Spider-Riley did not go around telling people "Clone. CLONE. I had a clone. CLONEY!" Really did like the Mario Alberti art. Also, I thought the colors were great, and I rarely notice these things.

Black Widow: The Name of The Rose (#1-5)

Black Widow: Kiss or Kill (#6-8)

I really enjoyed this, Vol. 1 more so than Vol. 2. A nice change of pace from Super Heroics and getting spy stuff. And I loved the Daniel Acuna art.

Trades: 37 (237)

Predator Vs. Magnus the Robot Fighter #1,2: Ah the era when Dark Horse went all whore-y. This is fucking stupendous though. A Jim Shooter plotted, John Ostrander written, Lee Weeks drawn knock-down fucking brawl. And it is art. Beautiful shit.

Magnus/Nexus #1,2: There are few people in the industry as good at drawing as Steve Rude. Most of them are dead. Rude mixes the art style of the original Magnus artist Russ Manning with the character design and grandeur of Kirby that is at once, so grounded, but yet so all-encompassing at the same time. Best two issues of a comic I've read in a very long time. Along with the Predator mini, a great set of miniseries if only for the opposite poles of awesomeness.

I've read the latest three GL issues too but don't have them on hand right now.

Comics: 397

Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do - I could really tell this was written by Kevin Smith. A little too talky, and seems to exist just for the 'shock' in the middle. Meh.

X-Men: Die By The Sword - As someone who knows nothing about New Excalibur, The Exiles and The Captain Britain Corps (if that is even what they are called), this book does nothing to help you understand.

X-Men: Worlds Apart - A nice little Storm story. However, she really needs a villain besides the Shadow King.

X-Men: Pixie Strikes Back - I was completely lost. I only know the names of the characters from a podcast, so I have no idea what is going on and no idea who these people are. Pixie? I have no idea. She has dust, I think, and it does things, I think. Seriously, fuck this book.

New X-Men: Hellions - The book does a much better job of introducing me to characters. Hey, I can remember their names, novel concept right? Reminds me of old New Mutants: young mutants have a minor adventure where their inexperience plays a big part. Best book of this bunch.

Trades: 42 (260)

Green Lantern #6: I'm separating this one because it was a major disappointment. I've made no secret that GL is the only book I've consistently bought since DCNU for the art. Had I realized it was drawn by Mike Choi, I would have thought twice about ordering it. He isn't bad. He's just lifeless and wrong for the title. There is a moment or two that are ok, but I think those stand on Geoff Johns' shoulders.

Green Lantern #7, 8: Doug Mahnke is back, and that makes me happy.

Nigh Force #1, 2: I have to admit, I'm not sold on this. I'm not sure how I feel. It isn't bad, but it has a hell of a lot to live up to. For me, this is a lot like how I would judge a book if Wolfman started doing Tomb of Dracula with another artist. I'm along for the ride to support Marv Wolfman, but I haven't made my mind up about it as yet.

Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery Deluxe HC: DW would HATE this book. It is a spinoff of Doom Patrol but reads more like a superhero treatment of Invisibles. It's insane, a little hard to follow at times, and delightfully wondrous. The art is fucking amazing. Quitely is at his best here.

Comics: 402

Trades: 12

X-Men: Divided We Stand - Nice series of mini-stories setting up things after X-Event #8750238590. But as such, I have little idea where this fits in.

X-Men: Origins - Not anything special, but the Mike Mayhew art on the Jean Grey issue was just amazing. The JK Woodward art was almost as nice.

Trades: 44 (268)

I was a little worried that the Frankenstien/Animal Man crossover was going to be forced, but Frankenstien 9 was spectacular, the way the book ends is more about Frank's humanity than the crossover. I can not say enough good things about this book. The new inker isn't my favorite, but that's literally my only complaint.

Thunderbolts: The Great Escape: and what an escape! The real triumph here has to be the Golden Age Thunderbolts story where they go back in time and help Cap and Namor free the Human Torch from the clutches of... THE ORIGINAL BARON ZEMO!!! Amazing stuff. I think I realized why I like Declan Shalvey's art so much and that's because it looks a lot like a frenetic (or more frenetic) Erik Larsen. Great shit.

Thoughts in next DM:

Legion of Monsters

Stephen King's N.

Comics: 402

Trades: 15