Every comic you've read in 2012

Missy

Wonder Woman: Odyssey Book 1 (#600-606) - I liked the costume. Beyond that, meh.

Spider-Man/Fantastic Four - The same thing as SpM/X-Men. Nifty as one of the issues it set during on of my first comics. Has a little more heart than the X-Men one.

X-Men: First Class (The Wonder Years, Band of Brothers, Mutant Mayhem) (#1-16, Special, Giant Size) - I liked this. Simple Original X-Men stories that don't take themselves too seriously. Fun times.

Trades: 49 (297)

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Class was a great book. Great just for the fun stories. Odyssey got better when JMS stopped writing it. Sure, he got top billing since he came up with the story but the other guy just did a better job of writing Wonder Woman. Still nothing to recommend there though.

X-Men: Noir - I was a fan of the Spider-Man mini. This? Not at all. This was trying to do too much at once and, as such, becomes a jumbled mess. The art is just bad. I spent the first two issues trying to figure out who was who and I failed. Just a mess of a book.

Spider-Man: The Real Clone Saga

X-Men Forever (#1-15: Picking Up Where We Left Off, The Secret History of The Sentinels, Come To Mother.. Russia!)

Sigh. These books are not very good. I went in knowing what they were: Extended What If...s? But, still, these are not good. The Clone Saga takes the entire story and reduce it to six issues. Yeah, the original story went on way too long, but this was cramped. Also, If you are going to retell the story, do not include modern pop culture references. American Idol? No. Macarena? Yes.

The X-Men books seem to be a bit off. The point of this series is for Claremont to pick up where he left off and continue his story. Yet, given what happens, I 100% am sure things would not have happened like this. Again, this feels way too rushed. Way too much is happening at once. I read 15 issues. The material in these books could have sustained a run of at least 50 issues. Nothing is given time to breathe, and as such, this feels more like the aforementioned What If, rather than Uncanny X-Men #280, which was the intention.

Trades: 54 (322)

Avengers Assemble vol 2: I'm going to count this as an omnibus in my count because this is only a few issues shy of an Essential volume for God's sake. There isn't a misstep in this entire book, except for the issue where they harken back to Heroes Return. That had nothing to do with the creative team either. Ordway's three issue arc is nice too. Always loved the Wrecking Crew...But the real centerpiece of this collection is the Ultron Imperative, which is undoubtedly genius.

Comics: 402

Graphic Novels: 24

Trades: 15

Omnibus: 5

X-Men: Phoenix - Endsong - Seems like something I have read before. I have no love for the Jean Grey character.

X-Men: Phoenix - Warsong - I have very little idea what is going on. I have only a very base knowledge of who the Cuckoos are. This book does not help further that knowledge. This is the definition of a book that assumes you know and makes no attempts to help you along.

Trades: 56 (332)

Ex Machina, Vol. 1: The First Hundred Days

What this guy said:

Allow me to do a quick impression of Brian K. Vaughan as he prepared to write Ex Machina: "Fanboys are going to be blown away by my mighty researching skills! I'm not even going to hide my research; I'm going to fill every page with stuff I looked up about New York politics, art, engineering, and more! I might even directly quote the books I skimmed! And then I'll make sure to cram my political agenda into every issue, too! Oh boy! I'm awesome!"

Collections: 12

Issues: 75

Marvel Adventures Thor: Bringers of the Storm - Boring. I am tiring of Loki being tied to every Thor story I pick up.

Marvel Adventures: Thor & Spider-Man - Fun. I think that is due to it seeming like old Marvel Team-Up and it was Thor's month to show up. And hey, classic MTUs added to the back.

Thor: For Asgard - Pretty. The art is stunning. Big panels give this an epic feel, which I think absolutely works for Asgard. The Thor speak did not bother me much, and I was able to follow the supporting characters with little prior knowledge. I am impressed.

Trades: 59 (344)

Fantastic Four by Hickman vol. 1-4, FF vol. 1: So I've read some of the greatest runs of the modern Fantastic Four and found that the FF aren't something I'm really interested in, in general. Sure Hickman here has some crazy plots and the concept of the future foundation is interesting, but still, I always feel like I'm just reading to read, more than being invested in what's actually happening. Hickman's FF stories (and Millar) in particular have a great sense of disconnect as they're so focused on how much plot and high-concept they can juggle, also the plots are overarching, making it very difficult to read as each tpb comes out 6 months at a time. There's obviously some kind of over-arching plotline here, some meta plot Hickman is developing, but it's difficult to follow with extended breaks every so often.

X-men Second Coming: This story works on so many levels, it's bombastic, fast paced, exciting, and feels earth shattering. It's exactly what an X-cross over should be without losing sight of the story they are trying to tell and without being overly long. While I didn't enjoy it as much as I did on previous reads, I still really enjoy certain elements, including the formation of X-Force, Madrox and Layla time-hopping, and Cyclops outing Professor X from the Mansion.

X-men by Brubaker/Matt Fraction (Divided We Stand, Manifest Destiny): Brubaker's run on X-men has left me mostly cold and Fraction's run on X-men starts the same way. Honestly can't remember much of these books, enjoyable, but severely forgettable. Fraction brings Pixie to the forefront of his first arc, and it's cool to see a lot of development for a third tier character in a main book, but the rotating cast, pretty much guarantees that shell be relgated to the background in the next book. The only one who's consistent in their continuous build of character is Cyclops and it's welcomed. Solid stories but they're also stories that I've already forgotten about.

X-Force vol. 1 -2 by Yost & Kyle: Really enjoyed this book, the brooding, dark, and mature themes of dealing with violence within yourself and the scars that committing violence makes upon your soul was super intriguing to me. The artwork is over the top with blood and guts flowing everywhere. I have enjoyed the characters in other books, Rahne is a character I've enjoyed in X-factor, and Warpath is one of the characters that stood out to me in Brubaker's run on X-men. The first arc was a bit better than the second, Warpaths run-in with a demon bear and Ghost Rider was kind of goofy to me but I liked the other half with Angel having anger management issues basically.

Johnathon Hickman: Pax Romana, Red Wing - Johnathon Hickman is no doubt a fantastic writer, but I found his writing on these independent books far sharper than his writing on mainstream characters. His high concepts provide unique backgrounds for fantastic stories, and while Pax Romana doesn't really have any great characters per say, the story was something I was just amazed by, an excellently build story with fantastic themes that shook me in a way that his work on FF never did. Red Wing also has high concept but develops into a more human story, it doesn't hit quite as hard as Pax Romana but still quite fantastic.

Up Next: More of Fraction's X-men (Lovelorn, Utopia, Nation X), Carey's X-men Legacy, and Second Coming

Captain America: The Koruac Saga - Nice easy read. I'd call it popcorn. But good popcorn.

The Tale Of One Bad Rat - Nice break from the superheroes. A bit predictable, but doesn't take any missteps.

Superman/Shazam: First Thunder - Meh. The threat was never a threat and the art was a bit shit. Also a twist for the hell of it. Meh.

Wolverine & Jubilee - Jubilee is a vampire. Shit happens. Jubilee is a vampire. I get the point of this, to have her except the change and grow as a person, or something after-school-y. That didn't happen. No character advancement happened, which annoys.

Thor: The Trials of Loki - I guess this is the predecessor to For Asgard (that I really liked), but it didn't do it for me. It just never felt epic or 'Asgardian Big'. Also, Thor needs more villains.

Trades: 64 (364)

Mystique by Sean McKeever Ultimate Collection (#14-24) - I understand this is a spy type story. However, I liken this to I Spy in that if motivations are never clear, then no one will care. Also, each storyline could have been an issue shorter and tightened up a bit.

Spider-Man: Family Ties (#1-3 + Fear Itself) - Nice little collection of shorts. Most work, a few don't. The art in the Fear Itself tie-in is awful.

Thor: The Mighty Avenger Vol. 2 (#5-8) - I like this Thor. Good read.

Captain America: The New Deal (#1-6) - Not a fan of the inner monologue driving the story here.

Luke Cage: Noir - I loved this. First one of these Noir series that works on every level. I have no complaints.

Trades: 69 (393)

Runaways: Pride & Joy (#1-6) - Nice set up/introduction trade. Interested in seeing where they go with it. Will say tho, four days later and I cannot remember most of the characters' names. That might be an issue.

Amazing Spider-Man: Brand New Day Vol. 1-3 (#546-563) - You know, for making a deal with the devil to save your Aunt May, you would expect her to actually be relevant in the next eighteen issues. One would assume. As for the retcon, I didn't mind it, but I think that is because it happened long ago real time.

As for the stories, mixed bag. I liked that fact that new villains were used and things are always in the background. I did not like that of the background things, some seemed to be dropped altogether.

Trades: 74 (429)

Action Comics #775:

A so-so story with a noble message and good dialogue, but with clumsy execution and piss-poor artwork (more so from Bermejo than Mahnke, but Mahnke does have to share the blame).

Iron Man: Extremis:

Iron Man meets bad guy. Bad guy kicks Iron Man's ass. Iron Man takes same drug bad guys, gives the bad guy the "we're the same" monologue while he's down (instead of other way around), and then kills bad guy. The end.

What's that? You were expecting a pay-off to Tony taking the virus? Sorry, don't have one, but we do have an underwhelming swerve!

I will say that the art generally looked really good, but he was afraid to draw open mouths, and when he did, that reluctance was justified.

Issues: 76

Collections: 13

Exiles Ultimate Collection Book 1: Got these for uber-cheap from my LCS so I decided to give them a go. First off, I love the alternate universe stuff. I like McKone's artwork too. He's super solid. Unfortunately, this one starts off very shaky, by barely introducing the characters (for the most part, essentially all brand new) in the first issue and then offering us one of their ultimate sacrifices in the second issue. You don't care for and don't know about the character, so it falls flat. Still, an okay read if you can stomach Jim Calafiore art.

Exiles Ultimate Collection Book 2: I'm thinking this one is better story-wise simply because you know the characters a little better. Not because Chuck Austen gets an arc. And while you lose McKone in this volume, retain Calafiore and gain a terrible cabal of Clayton Henry, Skottie Young and the fucking abysmal Mizuki Sakakibara, you still get an issue by Tom Mandrake which is pretty good and a fucking stunning three issue arc by Kev Walker. That arc may be the best thing I've read from Marvel in YEARS. So good. And the Exiles don't even appear in it! But, that might be part of why it's so good. It isn't about the Weapon X (darker/grittier reality hoppers) team who actually appears in it either. It's about Monarch of Earth Tony Stark and his attempt to take down the last diversion between him and the rule of the entire world: The Inhumans. And the Weapon X team has to help it happen! Excellent.

Mystery in Space #1: a pretty terrible sci fi anthology from Vertigo. Beside the Allred story (which, in itself, is very cliched) every story is flat and lame. The art is good in a few instances, but it also contains the first instance of Kyle Baker art that i just plain don't like. Stay away. 8 bucks they're asking for this? Gah!

Green Lantern #9: Finding out the secret of the Indigo Tribe does indeed up the ante when, I have to confess, I thought it was going to be underwhelming. I'm still along for the ride.

Batman Incorporated #1: I'm not too sure exactly what to think of this book. Some aspects of it are interesting, others are just plain goofy. And can we please get fucking rid of Chris Burnham? Ugh.

X-O Manowar #1: Looks amazing for the most part. Cary Nord was the perfect choice of artist, though I have to say at times it looks like his characters are super-imposed over the environments they inhabit. The story is pretty typical and nothing mind-blowing, but it's a suitable first issue. I'll probably grab the trade depending on its price point.

Next episode of DMish:

Dial H #1

Night Force #3

Comics: 408

Graphic Novels: 24

Omnibus: 7

Morrison's entire bibliography in a perfect little nutshell:

Some aspects of it are interesting, others are just plain goofy.

Supergirl #1-7:

I really need to 1) stop reading books based just upon the hype around them and 2) need to read individual story-lines in one sitting.

Not that this book was bad. The art was very good and I hope they stick with a clearly ESL Kara for a while. Even so, not sure what the effects of a blue sun on Kryptonians are, but don't think they should be similar to those of yellow suns. Beyond that, and the two things I mentioned above, the main thing preventing me from enjoying this story was my "meh...it's Supergirl" prejudice, which by story's end I hadn't quite shaken off. I will give it another shot someday.

Random note: Tycho must be Danish: He's named after Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe (probably because he has a lab/base in space, while Brahe had a private astronomical observatory, Uraniborg) and like a lot, if not most, of Danes is pale, blonde, and blue-eyed. Interesting to see one of my countrymen in a comic, even if he is a douche.

Issues: 83

Collections: 13

Amazing Spider-Man: New Ways To Die (#568-573) - Not sure how I feel about this one. At the end of the day, not much real seems to happen, even with things happening if that makes sense. Also, not sure I like Venom/Norman not knowing Spider-Man's secret identity. I know OMD/BND fixed these things, but I like when at least one villain knows. Makes them more dangerous.

Amazing Spider-Man: Crime & Punisher (#574-577) - Given what came before and what will come after, this is a weird trade. It really has nothing to due with anything and could easily happen at anytime during this run I am on. The Flash issue is the best of this bunch, but totally skippable.

Amazing Spider-Man: Election Day (#584-588) - I liked that some of the long term storylines gets wrapped up. Good read. Although, the big reveal was not shocking. They went way too hard one way that the actual swerve would have been to go that way. To swerve was the anti-swerve. Kinda Russo booking, to use some wrestling vernacular.

Amazing Spider-Man: 24/7 (#589-594) - This one comes down to one thing: a time jump. I am not a fan. Otherwise it is fine, but the time jump just kills any momentum the plots had following the end of Election Day.

Trades: 78 (450)

Amazing Spider-Man: American Son (#595-599) - I am really noticing the thirce monthly shipping. Things somehow feel rush, yet drawn out at the same time. And side characters seem to not exist, as I swear Flash came back from War, yet I don't think I've seen him for more than three panels.

Trades: 79 (455)

Prime #1-26: Malibu used to have the Ultraverse. It came out a little after Valiant did. Back when indie companies were popping up all over the place with better talent and better stories than Marvel and DC did. Prime was one of those. Norm Breyfogle was a fucking superstar! What happened to that guy? After he left this book, the art takes a dive, and the ten books in the middle have a pretty awful storyline. Still ends relatively strong. Fun read.

Gotham Central vol 4 Corrigan: Great ending. Goosebumps at the end even though I knew it was going to happen. It felt very real. Loved it.

Next DM:

The Strange Talents of Luther Strode

Comics: 434

Graphic Novels: 26

Norm Breyfogle was a fucking superstar! What happened to that guy?

Breyfogle was a prime example of someone who just fell out of fashion and disappeared. It was a fucking shame. Amazing Bat-artist. One of my favorites.

Runaways: Teenage Wasteland (#7-12)

Runaways: The Good Die Young (#13-18) - Nice little story I would say. The swerve actually worked and made sense, so that is nifty.

Amazing Spider-Man: Died In Your Arms Tonight (#600-601, A36, Family #7) - This was so much filler. Way too much for my liking.

Amazing Spider-Man: Red Headed Stranger (#602-605) - Like the newer take on The Chameleon. Slightly hampered with him being tosses in the Obama issue for no reason.

Trades: 83 (475)

Amazing Spider-Man: The Return of The Black Cat (#606-611, Web #1) - Should just be call "Spidey Gets Some". Also, not sure I like the idea of bringing back Kaine. Execution was fine, I'm just not sold on the idea.

Amazing Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Vol. 1-3 (#612-625) - My main problem is in the name. This doesn't really feel like a 'gauntlet' at all. This entire 'one thing after another' idea would be fine if it were happening faster. It just seems like problem solved, next case like usual. Highlight of this so far has been Rhino. First time I have ever like Rhino.

Trades: 87 (496)

Amazing Spider-Man: The Gauntlet Vol 4-5 (#626-633, Web 6) - I stand by what I said previously, these have nothing to really tie them together. Yeah, setting up the next trade, but still. Maybe a page in each. Vol. 5 is horrid, and I am not a fan of this new Lizard.

Trades: 89 (505)

Age of Apocalypse: I read 49 chapters of it (including Blink and a couple other peripheral things) and while the concept is amazing, and the world they create is so convincingly cool and familiar, yet insanely different, they sure don't take advantage of it. It's unfortunate that most of the whole crossover is spent trying to come up with a way to undo what happened to Xavier. I wished they outright delved further into the weird world (Mikhail, right? WTF?) instead of just skimming the surface. As with any crossover, the art and story varies by what you're reading, but there's some good Kubert stuff there for sure.

Comics: 483

Graphic Novels: 26

It doesn't help that their attempts to explore it now just kind of feels stupid. The mini that came out a few years ago was more than a little unnecessary and the current ongoing misses the point. You're making an Age of Apocalypse series. Shouldn't it take place in the Age of Apocalypse, not the post-Age?