Runs that were cut short

Missy

What were some of the best runs that were cut short either because the book was cancelled or editorial decided to change up the creative team prematurely?

Off the top of my head, there's Hellblazer by Warren Ellis (which ended because DC yanked "Shoot" due to Columbine), and Fantastic Four by Scott Lobdell and Alan Davis (which lasted three issues before Marvel put Chris Claremont and Salvador Larroca on the book).

I know there are more, but I'm blanking at the moment.

Peter David on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. He came in during The Other, endured Civil War and the unmasking, and left during Back-In-Black, his full run being no more than a year. How do you have Peter David on a Spider-Man title for less than over a YEAR?

Going way back: Roger Stern and John Byrne on Captain America (which we covered on WFTT way back when and led pretty much directly to us doing GOF). It only lasted nine issues, but WHAT AN INCREDIBLE NINE ISSUES.

Peter David on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. He came in during The Other, endured Civil War and the unmasking, and left during Back-In-Black, his full run being no more than a year. How do you have Peter David on a Spider-Man title for less than over a YEAR?

Following up on this, I would add Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's run on Sensational Spider-Man, which I consider to be the best Spider-Man book in the Civil War to One More Day era. His run was a mix of horror tinged stories, which are rare for Spider-Man, and character pieces that focused on one of Peter's students, the women in Peter's life, and Eddie Brock (which is the best Venom story). I wish he had had the opportunity for a JMS length run because he really got the character and had an interesting take on telling his stories.

Following up on this, I would add Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's run on Sensational Spider-Man which I consider to be the best Spider-Man book in the Civil War to One More Day era. His run was a mix of horror tinged stories, which are rare for Spider-Man, and character pieces that focused on one of Peter's students, the women in Peter's life, and Eddie Brock (which is the best Venom story). I wish he had had the opportunity for a JMS length run because he really got the character and had an interesting take on telling his stories.

I have a few of those issues lying around. Good times.

Let's face it, there were more than a couple of runs cut short by the new 52. Tony Daniels on Batgirl or Gail Simone/Mark Andreyko on Birds of Prey come to mind.

Will, I'm guessing you meant Bryan Q Miller on Batgirl. Tony Daniel was writing/drawing Batman at the time of the reboot. And, I don't think you can really say Gail Simone on BOP, as she already had a lengthy run on the book before that.

Franco and Baltazar on Shazam. Good, kid friendly superhero comics, that were fun to read.