Episode 110

RSS

Forget all of the talk about the weather, the very first modern multi-Doctor story ("Time Crash"), and Kylie Minogue's turn on the program ("Voyage of the Damned"). What makes this episode of Bigger on the Inside so historic is that Dan and Mike mark the very first appearance of the man, the myth, the legend: Wilfred Mott! [ 1:00:24 || 29.3 MB ]

To listen, click here: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggerontheinside/episodes/bigger_110.mp3

I think the record ratings for this episode are hugely down to Kylie. In the UK she's been a big star (on and off) since the mid 80's when she got her first big break as an actress on the Australian soap opera "Neighbours" which was huge in the 80's. I still remember how big her wedding on that series was (despite it being a daytime show). And then she became a pop star and has never looked back really.

It's interesting that this is really the start of the couple of years where you can read extensive behind the scenes info from RTD's book. If anyone hasn't read it, i really recommend it, because you really get lots of stories behind how these episodes were written and how they evolved.

Can i ask though for more detail on the strange snow tradition you were talking about. I've never heard of that and i couldn't quite follow exactly what it involved :)

I think the ratings are a combination of it being a Christmas episode, in which there's the biggest captive TV audience of the entire year; it being the height of Tennant's run at the time, and yes, Kylie Minogue. It's utter stunt casting, but it worked, despite the fact she's not very good. At all.

And since when did Pandy listen to this show?!?! And preferring him to me?!?! Urge to donate to Earth-2.net.....fading.....

Can i ask though for more detail on the strange snow tradition you were talking about. I've never heard of that and i couldn't quite follow exactly what it involved :)

In the northeastern US, the bigger cities tend to have two things in common:

1) older neighborhoods built (in some cases centuries) before cars were invented, meaning very few people have private, off-road parking

2) snow, and lots of it

It's not at all unusual for someone living in a city neighborhood to have to park on the street. When there's a major snowstorm, the city plows the roads, burying the car. If you have to spend an hour or two shoveling your car out, then that spot is YOURS, and if you mark the space as yours by putting in a trash can, or a lawn chair, or a traffic cone stolen from the city, or whatever, no one better be in that spot when you get home. Bear in mind, you do not actually OWN that spot in any legal sense, but it's just understood that if you get home and someone is parked in the space you shoveled out, you are completely in the right if you slash that guy's tires.

When my sister argued that the snowmen was the worst Christmas special, I argued that V.O.T.D. was. She never saw it, but decided that any special with the word "damned" cannot be that heartwarming.

I do not know what is up with the Jesus imagery. As a Christian, I do not know whether to enjoy it like in Robocop or be offended by it like in Phantom Menace.

And since when did Pandy listen to this show?!?! And preferring him to me?!?! Urge to donate to Earth-2.net.....fading.....

You are The Wilson, the one and only. You're a ginger Chris Jerico, but smarter, funnier, a better musician (you play the kazoo like no one else), and are much more handsome. If America were still Colonies of The Crown, I'd serve as your loyal jester as you ruled over this humble and far less-superior nation.

Bear in mind, you do not actually OWN that spot in any legal sense, but it's just understood that if you get home and someone is parked in the space you shoveled out, you are completely in the right if you slash that guy's tires throat.

Changed for Chicago. And I'm barely joking.

Here's what it looks like:

671281_chicago_parking.jpg

I imagine they'd buddy up to solve local crimes in the neighborhood, like missing newspapers. They'd of course assume it was an invasion of some sort until proven otherwise. (They will not be proven otherwise. It's a Dalek plot to steal newspapers.)

They did some audio dramas with Jago and Litefoot, so why not Mott and Williams? :)