• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Fantastic Four reboot was supposed to start filming last month but is now being rewritten by the writer of X-Men: First Class and Days of Future Past. They still list the release date as March 6, 2015. Also, it's rumored to take place in the same universe as the X-Men movies.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179515-simon-kinberg-to-rewrite-fantastic-four

The only way it works is if you figure that non-mutant super heroes are specific people (in the case of the FF the public knows all about them), while the x-gene just hands out random powers to random people, often in a very dangerous way. It's easy for the public to know the difference between Thor and Doctor Doom, but if both Professor X and Magneto are mutants, what does that mean to the average person?

I've heard it said that people's fear and hatred of mutants is as irrational and difficult to explain away as racism or homophobia. The fact that it makes no sense to hate a guy born with wings on his back, but love a guy who can burst into flame because he was hit by cosmic rays, is a big part of the point.

Not necessarily.

There's a couple of things that make mutants rather unique:

-Most human superheroes are celebrities or known quantities of a sort, but mutants are totally unknown. Anyone could be a mutant, which basically means that any random person you meet on the street could have the power to make your house explode while you sleep.

-Mutants and humans are literally different on a genetic level, and there are numerous examples of evil mutants who hate humans just because they're humans. Because they draw that human/mutant line, it only follows that others would take the opposite side. For every Magneto, there's a William Stryker with millions of followers.

It goes back to Dan's point about it being pointless: even with the specific problems mutants bring to the table, rational people should be able to get past it. But they don't, which is totally in line with a lot of real-world people.

And to be fair to your example, Ben Grimm is often treated like a freak, though sometimes not due to his being a world-famous superhero that the public knows they can trust.

Here's another question. Why is it whenever the government or whatever goes after mutants or has giant hunter/killer bots built do people like the Avengers not do anything. Are the Avengers racist? And why is someone like Thor who was also born with powers okay since we're going down this road?

There have been a few occasions where The Avengers, specifically Captain American, have been called on their in-action with mutant threats. The answer usually comes down to "we figured it was an internal affair."

Right, 'cause the death of 16 million people is to be ignored.

True, but you rarely find racists that hate just one group. I have met a lot of racists in my time (RE: relatives), and they're filled with contempt for anyone that's not white and straight.

Assuming the racists of the Marvel Universe are the same way, it's very odd to me that a line is drawn between mutants and mutates.

True, but you rarely find racists that hate just one group. I have met a lot of racists in my time (RE: relatives), and they're filled with contempt for anyone that's not white and straight.

Assuming the racists of the Marvel Universe are the same way, it's very odd to me that a line is drawn between mutants and mutates.

I think it could be seen along the lines of the difference between a immigrant culture and the native population that adopt that culture. They wouldn't like the deviant natives but the immigrants would still very much be the cause.

Although I have no excuse for the Avengers re Genosha or any of those other deals. Hell, it was an Avenger who singlehandedly almost wiped out the race.