What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

How I met your mother this week, was great as usual. I cannot wait to see the latest series plot play out. 4 out of 5.

The Smurfs: So much fun. I went in expecting it to be stupid and dull, and I really, really enjoyed it. 4 out of 5.

Two and a half men: I expect this show to go a year without Charlie Sheen. Not because he was the heart of the show. But more because Ashton Kutcher seems incredibly awkward in the role, and Alan went from nearly having a nervous breakdown, back to the weird moocher brother character. 1 out of 5.

Breaking Bad: Watch this show. What a fantastic episode. There's only two episodes left of this series, and so much shit has just hit the fan. I fucking love this show, and I cannot wait to see where this goes from here. 5 out of 5. Bryan Cranston is now my second favourite actor on TV right now, right after:

Dexter: Found the first episode of series 6 of Dexter. Everyone who hated series 5, and found it to be dull, will want to watch this. It's classic Dexter, with no less than three stand out fucking fantastic moments from Michael C Hall.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched Freddy VS Jason earlier, on Blu-Ray.

You know what really bothered me? The jumpy cutting that they randomly inserted into the film. I always thought it was just my DVD of the film being a bit weird, but no, it was intentional, and a bit nauseating.

The story was still awesome, and the action was still fun. The characters were all wooden, and for some reason, the main actress in the final scene grows a tramp stamp. You know, the character who abstains from sex and drinking and anything bad, and is under 18 now has a tramp stamp, that was a strange thing for me to pick up on Blu-Ray.

When reading Freddy VS Jason VS Ash, Freddy's change into ultra demon always struck me as strange, until I finally saw this in HD, did I see that he actually looks like a demon when he is seriously pissed off with something, which was nice. Both the fight scenes between Freddy and Jason are great.

If it wasn't for the shitty and annoying jumpy cutting at random points, I'd say this film was great. But because those cuts got on my nerves, and were completely unnecessary, I'm going to rate the film. 3.5 out of 5.

Django: One of the best spaghetti westerns I've ever seen. It has just that right combination of insane and dramatic that I want in a western.

The Great Silence: This however might be the best western I've ever seen. It's a bleak film, well-acted with a truly silent protagonist. The villain was just truly one of those all time great Western Villains.

The Simpsons: I'm really watching this out of habit now. It's not good, nor bad, it was just sort of there. 2.5 out of 5

Family Guy: Meg finally standing up to the family? Great. Brian taking mushrooms and tripping out, yeah, that was dull. 2.5 out of 5

Two and a Half Men: I expect this show to last one more series before it's cancelled. The dynamic has shifted too much, and the characters seem to be all based around Ashton Kutcher, at the expense of plot threads I actually enjoyed when I watched the show, like Alan slowing becoming schizophrenic and forming a second personality known as "Bad Alan" I get that this is only the third episode, and they need to show Ashton's character, but he is just not that interesting. 1 out of 5

How I met your mother: They did the classic "Main character speaks to therapist" story, which is a mainstay in sitcoms to me. But they put a HIMYM spin on it, and made it enjoyable. Good episode. 3.5 out of 5

South Park: They handle the Stan situation in a strange and unexpected way. It worked, but at the same time, it did feel like Trey Parker and Matt Stone are getting tired of doing South Park. Was fun, but not up to South Parks usual standards. 3 out of 5 The line of the episode:

When she decides to return her family to the old status quo, she tells Stan "Sometimes, it's just better to stick with what you know."

Network: It was ok. I wasn't in a mood to watch it, and I got sort of bored near the end. I'll probably try and watch the film again in a year or so. 2.5 out of 5.

Broadcast News: This was alright. Not great. The main cast all had distinct voices, and it took you into the background craziness of broadcast news, but it just sort of has to throw in a very forced love triangle story that wasn't needed. Considering I thought one of the three characters in the love triangle was gay for 3/4 of the film, so that wasn't well developed. Overall, a missable film. If you want to watch a great James L Brooks film, watch as Good As It Gets. Everyone should watch as good as it gets once a year. This film. Watch it once, and you'll never care enough to watch it again. 2 out of 5.

Edit: Forgot Breaking Bad: Best show on TV right now? Yes. Yes it is. Watch this show, it just keeps getting better, and better. 5 out of 5.

So it occurred to me that I've never watched Batman Returns all the way through from beginning to end in one sitting. I finally did last night.

Didn't like the movie much, but it did have one kickass shot that only lasted for about one second.

vlcsnap-2011-10-09-19h04m43s1.png

I'm putting that in my mental folder of "awesome iconic bat-images."

My housemates are on a Brave and the Bold kick at the moment. They started borrowing them for their son but they enjoy it way more than he does. Leading on from that I've leant them Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (Katie remembers liking that show) and we watched Wonder Woman tonight. Plus I've leant Katie Batman Year One and The Killing Joke, since she likes Alan Moore. Hoping this will lead into more comics, she already read and really liked Fables a few years ago.

Brazil: The very words I've just laid down in the chat room:

slothian: I've been watching the film Brazil

dc20willsave: Awesome.

slothian: A stunning visual film that cements Terry Gilliam as a significant filmmaker in addition to being a Python

slothian: and having watched that, I've been expected to give a shit about the Avengers trailer

I swear, I never thought I'd see a film in which Jonathan Pryce shared a scene with both Robert deNiro and Bob Hoskins! And the lead guy from 'Allo 'Allo even had a cameo role!

Captain America - Finally got around to seeing this. Cut out the love story and about half of Tommy Lee Jones and this would have been just about perfect.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - Fucking loved this. Fun and messy and full of heart. Ending was dumb as a bag of hammers, but I can forgive it.

Captain America - Finally got around to seeing this. Cut out the love story and about half of Tommy Lee Jones and this would have been just about perfect.

Wait, you want to cut the bits with the smoking hot British chick? Who are you and what have you done with Dubs?

Watched this last night and enjoyed it so much I'm watching it again now. Thor was decent but Captain America is the best Marvel Studios film yet, better even than Iron Man in my opinion. It's well written in how it establishes Steve (who's a hard character to write and still make likeable) and throughout it's got a great spirit of adventure. Tremendous fun, can't wait to see Steve in a modern setting next year.

Hey now. She can still be in it. She could just be doing something else.

Like sunbathing.

I think you're lacking the proper appreciation for a woman in uniform ^_^ . Seriously, Peggy is awesome in this, can't believe I haven't seen this actress elsewhere.

Also I pretty much mark out every time they get to the bit where Bucky picks up the shield. Awesome inside reference there.

Final Destination 5 - This was probably the best of the entire series.

Not going to put this in spoiler tags cause I really don't think anyone cares that much.

I like that it was consistent with the setting of a prequel. There were no fancy new cars, no one had iPhones or GPS. I don't think they so much as showed a computer screen at any point. The only thing I was iffy on was the Lasik, as I'm not sure how widely available that was a decade ago.

I'm mixed on the whole "kill someone to take their life" thing. On one hand, it presented the chance to do an actual human villain for the first time and with a motivation that made sense. I think the slow degeneration into madness of someone with that belief could make for its own movie, honestly. On the other hand, they kinda sorta completely pulled that rule out of their asses, even if I don't think there was anything in the other movies that necessarily contradicted it.

Overall, I liked it quite a bit and thought the way they pulled off the ending was pretty clever.