What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably My Eyes or A Man's Gotta Do for me. It's all in the harmony. Although So They Say is strong too. It was insane waiting for each part to come out and then having it end the way it did, typical Whedon in hindsight.

Mike, I'm guessing the answer is no but have you seen the Buffy musical episode Once More With Feeling? It's equally as great as Dr Horrible.

High Fidelity: This started out incredibly dull, and John Cusack was annoying, and Jack Black, was Jack Black. The reviews said give the film half an hour to find its groove, and I am glad I did. What started out dull was incredibly engaging and enjoyable and although I don't plan to watch it again, I think it was a great film, with a great performance by John Cusack, who's character grows throughout the film. 3.5 out of 5

Grosse Point Blank: After watching High Fidelity I wanted to see more of John and Joan working together. This was really disappointing. It just stays on neutral and I was never given any reason to care about anything, the film just goes so slowly, and nothing happens for such long periods of time, and John Cusack just looks like he couldn't care less. A huge letdown. 1 out of 5

The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 22: Three awful stories. Homer being paralysed and having to fart out noises to speak to people isn't horror. They were 2 years too late with the piss poor Avatar parody. The middle story with Ned being a version of Dexter, doing God's work, which is funny, as that is the theme of the current series of Dexter was the only part that felt like a Treehouse of Horror story. All in all, the worst Treehouse of Horror of them all. Which is a shame, as the TOH episodes are the best ones in the series. I think having the three mini stories as a standard feature is really hurting the show now, as they seemed to have run out of ideas. 1.5 out of 5

Family Guy: For their Halloween episode, Family Guy deals with Quagmire's sister being a victim of domestic abuse. It had some nice moments, like Iraq Lobster. But overall, this was pretty forgettable, and could have aired at any point. 2 out of 5

Dexter: More of a set up week. But Dexter is still one of my favourite shows on TV, and even a set up episode from this show is a highlight. 4 out of 5.

Not on topic, but I like how if someone else replies to you, the thread now tells you that someone has replied and shows you the new replies, without losing the post you're working on.

Rubber - What a fucking load of shit this was. My god. A self-proclaimed celebration of the nonsensical that still managed to be boring and joyless.

This was a 10 minute indie short stretched over 84 unholy minutes of eye rolling meta-masturbation.

Easily the worst movie I've seen in a long time, and this is coming from someone that just watched Birdemic.

Misfits- Show about a group of young offenders who get struck by lightning and get superpowers, sort of like Heroes with more comedy and with all the characters being really dodgy. Can't believe I've missed this one actually, lot of fun so far. It has Channel 4's trademark excellent look and feel for this sort of thing, very much like the Dead Set series a few years back. Interesting addition to the UK's sci-fi TV offerings.

Went and saw "The Rum Diary" with the better half last evening. Good fun. Depp is very solid and Giovanni Ribisi steals the show as a drunken, drug addled reporter. It does, admittedly, get a little soapboxy, but it's a movie based on a Hunter S. Thompson novel, so that's expected. I'd give it a four out of five, I enjoyed it greatly.

Just finished the second series and Christmas special of Misfits. Officially the best live action superhero show I've seen, highly recommended. Granted it starts as a comic book pastiche and ends as something akin to a regular comic but the transition throughout the show really works. It's got that veneer of a modern late-teens show (sex & drugs) along with some excellently solid comic-book concepts. It's probably closest in tone to a modernised Garth Ennis book come to life.