Fantastic Four reboot

Missy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a big Fantastic Four fan. And I like Josh Trank a lot. I get what he's going for, too. From where I'm sitting, this feels like an awesome Doom Patrol movie, and less a Fantastic Four movie.

The only member of the family that should feel like a freak is Ben. That's his whole deal. Giving the whole team "containment suits" and talking about their sacrifice undermines that dynamic of the team.

In short, it's really dark for a team that's meant to be silver age family fun. Does it look bad? Hell no. But is it what I want out of an FF movie? I have severe doubts.

I'm a lifelong FF fan, and I don't love the tone of the trailer I just saw. I also know that it's only a trailer, and I have no idea if the movie itself is as grim.

It does look nice, however. I was kind of prepared for a train wreck, and that wasn't one. The decision by the studio to not leak a ton of info before now was probably the right one.

Wait and see, I guess.

That looks awesome to me. The tone of the trailer doesn't have to be encompassing of the whole film. There was enough in there showing the wonder of everything that I'm happy. Also, I don't get the "containment suits" thing, Preston. Looks like they were rescued from the crash and brought back to the base when things went haywire.

I'm in. Looks fun.

Interestingly(at least to me) a friend of mine once told me that he would like to see a "science gone wrong" FF movie. He mentioned David Lynch when he was talking about the visual depiction of the Thing and the Torch. He seems to have gotten his wish.

I'm waiting for another trailer or two to really be sure what I think. But I'm interested.

That looks awesome to me. The tone of the trailer doesn't have to be encompassing of the whole film. There was enough in there showing the wonder of everything that I'm happy. Also, I don't get the "containment suits" thing, Preston. Looks like they were rescued from the crash and brought back to the base when things went haywire.

I'm in. Looks fun.

I don't recall if it was Trank, or Miles Teller or Michael B. Jordan, but someone has brought up the idea of eschewing the traditional spandex for "containment suits."

I read an interview with Trank the other day where he cited Cronenberg as an influence on the movie. Now, there's no way he's going to pull off something on the level of Cronenberg, but that's an interesting take on the characters' powers. The previous movies aren't great, but they have the feel of the comics, so I think it's okay to change things up. Now, we could get an Amazing Spider-Man or a Batman Begins, it's still up in the air, but I'm glad they're taking the gamble.

I read an interview with Trank the other day where he cited Cronenberg as an influence on the movie. Now, there's no way he's going to pull off something on the level of Cronenberg, but that's an interesting take on the characters' powers. The previous movies aren't great, but they have the feel of the comics, so I think it's okay to change things up. Now, we could get an Amazing Spider-Man or a Batman Begins, it's still up in the air, but I'm glad they're taking the gamble.

Firstly, I'm amused that said film is now a watch-word for "unneccessary reboot". Amused and in agreement.

As for the trailer........looks fine. Ultimately it didn't really give anything away, and even if it was a jokier (I decree that to be a word) film, then I wouldn't want the trailer to be peppered with quips as that would dull the impact of them in the actual film. I'm tired of the GRIMDARK form of criticism as well or the idea that certain films should be done in a certain way - in short, the proof will be in the pudding of the actual release, no matter how troubled the production history.

Of course, I have to watch this film anyway for the site.....

I totally get people's trepidations with the tone of the movies, which we were warned about, but I guess I have a hard time picturing the classic Lee/Kirby era of the FF come to live action on the screen. I'm not saying we should compromise, but I guess I'm more expectant of alterations like this.