The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This actually raises a question I've had for some time: assuming Bruce spent his late teens and early twenties training to become Batman, it seems highly unlikely that he finished college. Does this mean Bruce Wayne is running a couple of multi-billion dollar companies with just a high school diploma, or more likely, a GED?

At the start of Year One, Bruce is 25 and is returning to Gotham City after being away for 12 years. So if he left at 13, did he even finish grade school / junior high?

I would guess he attended high school in Europe, and maybe went to college for a year. But I really don't know.

I'd imagine that he probably took every opportunity to get high school and college credits through various overseas programs, internships and the like. In the Crisis era, he did some work with Leslie Thompkins in the middle east, I think. There's gotta be a credit in there somewhere. And hey, in the modern era, he could probably do a lot of online classes while not in-country. Thinking about it, a business degree (which is probably all he'd want to be visible on his transcript) doesn't require nearly as much hands-on in-person work. You could probably manage that while traveling.

I guess I always assumed he just took twenty minutes one day and knocked out a diploma. I don't imagine it would be all that difficult for him to get his name on some school's records while he was busy fighting the devil in an Asian prison camp.

Don't get on Batman, he's been busy. Alfred's totally bringing him up to speed during day school with practice questions.

(Interior, Batcave, Batman is at a school desk, Alfred standing in front of a blackboard with "Mr Pennyworth" written in chalk on it)

Alfred- OK, the Joker has escaped Arkham Asylum...

Batman- I'm on my way, I'm gonna get drive thru Alfred, you want anything?

Alfred- No no no Master Bruce, it's a maths problem, not an alert.

Batman- Oh. Can I go check on him at least?

Alfred- No, you can go out to play later, this is important.

(Batman slumps in his chair)

Alfred- As I was saying, The Joker has escaped. He kills 5 people during his escape, and every hour after that kills two more than the hour before. Batman stops him 17 hours after escaping....

Batman- I could have done it sooner if you'd let me go out and catch him...

Alfred- 17 HOURS AFTER ESCAPING. How many citizens of Gotham City does the Joker kill?

(Light appears on the monitor displaying the Batsignal against a clouded sky, Batman goes to get up)

Batman- The signal...

Alfred- THE BAT-SIGNAL is a sign for ME, not you, finish the problem.

Don't get on Batman, he's been busy. Alfred's totally bringing him up to speed during day school with practice questions.

(Interior, Batcave, Batman is at a school desk, Alfred standing in front of a blackboard with "Mr Pennyworth" written in chalk on it)

Alfred- OK, the Joker has escaped Arkham Asylum...

Batman- I'm on my way, I'm gonna get drive thru Alfred, you want anything?

Alfred- No no no Master Bruce, it's a maths problem, not an alert.

Batman- Oh. Can I go check on him at least?

Alfred- No, you can go out to play later, this is important.

(Batman slumps in his chair)

Alfred- As I was saying, The Joker has escaped. He kills 5 people during his escape, and every hour after that kills two more than the hour before. Batman stops him 17 hours after escaping....

Batman- I could have done it sooner if you'd let me go out and catch him...

Alfred- 17 HOURS AFTER ESCAPING. How many citizens of Gotham City does the Joker kill?

(Light appears on the monitor displaying the Batsignal against a clouded sky, Batman goes to get up)

Batman- The signal...

Alfred- THE BAT-SIGNAL is a sign for ME, not you, finish the problem.

:bowdown:

Eww. I can handle animals that can talk in books as long as they're actually animals. I can handle animals talking in films if they're animated. I can even manage transgressions when it's allegorical, like Maus. Anything else creeps me the fuck out. Art looks good, but I won't be reading that.

Different entirely. They're animated and semi iconic (although Penfold is borderline). Humanised cat ladies are fucked up, that's furry-style imagery.

Yeah, there are plenty of other anthropomorphized animal-centric stories that work just fine (TMNT, Redwall, every cartoon ever), but this one feels more twisted than anything else. Might just be that out-of-context preview, but it's really off-putting.