The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gah! 2000AD is doing a national signing in September on a weekend where I'm out of the country! What's more is that Mark Buckingham is signing in Bristol, so I'm missing out on my chance to have my copy of Miracle Man: The Golden Age, which is already signed by Neil Gaiman, signed by him!

Now there's a first world problem for you: I can't get my comics signed because i'm on holiday in France!

In other sad news Britain's longest running comic the dandy is facing cancellation after its circulation fell below 8000.

We don't get The Dandy in America, but I have to give serious respect to a comic in continuous publication since the late 30s.

Yeah, 75 years is a pretty good run but it's just so maddening to see the old excuses of "kids have more things to spend their money on these days" when the real damage was done 30 or 40 years ago by editors and publishers who became complacent with their sales and never bothered to evolve the industry until it was too late. Basically there's now only one title left standing that produces original material for kids. There's nothing to bridge the gap between humour titles and 2000ad or the American titles.

Not to sound uncaring, but it was the sister comic to the more successful Beano which is only 6 months younger. I always saw the Dandy as the Beano's backup redundancy. They're basically the same thing, same archetypes, same humour. I mean, it sucks that the run is over but even as a kid I found sci-fi action-oriented stuff far more to my liking, I can't remember anyone reading the Dandy.