The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

I can see what knightwing is saying, but there are some key differences, chief amongst them being that Frank Miller is unaware of his own craziness and is a much, much worse writer.

I can't recommend this book for everyone as it seems like a bit of a marmite one, but I enjoyed it and, as usual with a League book, it took me ages to get through it as I was spending so much time puzzling over all the cameos. It's heavily skewed towards British stuff since it's set in London, but the more you know about them, the more you'll enjoy it. one of my favourite bits was seeing Graham Linehan getting thrown out of Gosh Comics by Bernard Black.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I enjoyed Crisis On Infinite Earths a lot more than I expected. I was expecting it to be a massive info dump, but it wasn't, it really read quite easily. Until issue 8, when the series just seemed to drag on forever. The Anti-Monitor is a terrible villain, and the fight between the heroes and villains was a lot more interesting that seeing that thing get defeated like five or six times, and repeatedly screaming "I'll be back!" He really was just a crap villain, in my opinion, and the story would have worked just fine if he wasn't involved.

I'm putting this here, rather than the every comic thread, as I lost track of the comics I read, and really just lost interest with comics for a while, on and off.

Anyway, alright story, not the best. And I loved Marv Wolfman's introduction, where he says it was hard to pitch the series as he was told by an editor "People don't like or buy #1's" it's funny how times, and ideas have changed.

Marvel doesn't seem to bother with those characters though. I mean, guys like Thanos can fulfil the same role as an Anti-Montor whilst actually providing some interesting character motivation as well.

Marvel's always been a company to tell stories with much lower stakes than DC, and rightly so. The Anti-Monitor destroyed the multiverse. Follow that. You can't. Thanos, meanwhile, has killed a metric fuckton of people, but by comparison he's almost relateable. The fact that he has an actual motivation for doing so makes him a much more interesting and threatening character.

But when Marvel does have something that threatens the universe it invests that power in someone. Bad timing on this example, but look at the phoenix. It occupies a similar non-personal as a universal force of destruction but the drama comes from those it possesses. The Anti-monitor is like a really boring phoenix without Jean Grey.

The only upside to this miserable holiday is the reading material I took with me. The first volume of Nikolai Dante (which I actually bought despite getting a review copy already for WFTT, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2009. Plus the first issue of Spider-men. All good.

I'm starting to think Gail Simone really is a one hit wonder writer. I tried reading JLA: The Hypothetical Woman, and it is just terrible. It seems like the only thing she could write that I actually enjoyed was Birds of Prey, everything else I've read with her name on it has been dull, to outright insulting.

This Spider-men series is interesting, with Peter bring sucked into the Ultimate Universe. Reminds me a lot of the Invincible/Spider-man crossover so far.

Looks like the 616 Mysterio is also the Ultimate Mysterio, he's been controlling avatars across the rift between universes.