The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The latest New Avengers bring Leonardo Da Vinci into the Marvel universe beyond just the awful Shield book. Not only did he fight off Galactus and all that BS, he also met the Iron Fist and Phoenix. Urgh. Avengers vs X-men was already a terrible event but this is the tipping point for me, where they take that other book and make it something that you can't just ignore. I think I've reached my jumping off point with major Marvel stories. I'll just stick with Amazing Spider-man and that'll be it.

Oh and they just brought Captain Marvel back again for another inevitable fake-out. I've still not lost the bad taste from his last rebirth when the writer confessed to not even reading the Life and Death of Captain Marvel, one of the most important trades in comics history.

For the first time in years, I'm reading more DC and Image than Marvel from here on out.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest issue is the way they're painting Cyclops. He seems psychotic. If this isn't Emma and Magento's doing, by the end of the series, they'll have done to him what they did to Iron Man in Civil War.

Agreed. Cyclops is batshit insane the whole time and all the X-Men are like, "OK! It's way easier than thinking for myself!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've actually read the book and this article is entirely reactionary and stupid. It also contains a huge spoiler for the latest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, so don't click it or read the rest of my post if you don't want to be spoiled.

Yes, the Antichrist is Harry Potter and it actually makes a lot of sense given the way 1969 ended. Potter himself is representative of the problems with culture, specifically pop culture these days where franchise and adaptations have taken such huge priorities that little original work seems to be created and nurtured. I mean, seriously look at this

Loss-of-Originality-STATS8.gif

It's not just a matter of Harry Potter becoming an anti-psychotic abusing, overgrown wizard raging against the education system that failed him, the whole of the world of the League seems to be decaying. Hyde Park is shuttered off, with the statue of the Martian tripod rusting, Hyde's bones and other artefacts of the League's earlier exploits lay languishing in the back of the British Museum, Malcolm Tucker's style of spin and bullying is coming back into vogue and the biggest show on television is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3012CfPIyPU. In America the nuanced and intelligent administration of Jed Bartlett is being replaced by the brazen and reactionary administration of David Palmer, who are introducing a CTU that promises to fix all of the world's major problems 24 hours at a time. The neonazis who made their presence felt in 1969 with double x graffitti seem to have much more power here as it seems they are affiliated with both the Freemasons and the Police, the latter of whom have become red-eyed monsters, constantly wielding batons and riot shields.

The League has and always will be both a loving tribute to and a damning indictment of the culture that it is stealing from. It's not like Moore has treated everyone entirely reverentially except for Harry potter, after all the Invisible Man was first shown raping teenage girls, Allan Quartermain was found pissing his life away in an opium den, James Bond was a violent, thuggish pawn of the US and Billy Bunter became a sad old man living in the ruins of greyfriars.

I've really enjoyed Century, even if it has been somewhat more cynical than the previous League books, and I'm really looking forward to what Moore and O'Neill do next.

Being struck by lightning sounds like it hurts. But I'm no expert on the subject, so feel free to contradict me.

By technical definition, "that sounds like" literally means "it sounds like," not "it is, absolutely." Wasn't trying to declare myself the authority on all things Alan Moore.

Being struck by lightning sounds like it hurts. But I'm no expert on the subject, so feel free to contradict me.

I have no idea what this means.

By technical definition, "that sounds like" literally means "it sounds like," not "it is, absolutely." Wasn't trying to declare myself the authority on all things Alan Moore.

I didn't say you were trying to declare yourself an expert on Alan Moore. What I said was that you were juxtaposing the article with an example of Frank Miller bat-shittery and implied, albeit not definitively (hence the "sounds like"), a correlation. Such a correlation didn't really address the post directly above yours.

I have no idea what this means.

It means that although I haven't directly experienced something, I can infer from others' information and comment on what it "sounds like" it is, based on said information.

All I was saying was that, based on the article and KE's post, it sounded (to me) a bit similar to what happened in DKSA. I'm not even sure what we're debating here.