The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Normally it's easy to sympathize with the creators' families in cases like this, but in this instance, given how much has been said about the twisted behavior of the Shusters' lawyer, along with the fact that the Shusters apparently knowingly gave up their rights to pursue the case then went back on it, it's just too much.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there's 11, but they're being re-released at the moment in that US-friendly format. Had a look on Amazon and they're around, not to hard to get.

I just caught up on the Walking Dead after about 8 months of letting it run to build up a decent amount of story. No idea why something that makes me physically sick is at the same time so satisfying. I don't think there's any new stories to tell so I hope it wraps sometime soon (the current stuff is a rerun of the Governor) but there's no denying that it's still well written and executed.

I just caught up on the Walking Dead after about 8 months of letting it run to build up a decent amount of story. No idea why something that makes me physically sick is at the same time so satisfying. I don't think there's any new stories to tell so I hope it wraps sometime soon (the current stuff is a rerun of the Governor) but there's no denying that it's still well written and executed.

With the TV show and how high it is in the sales charts, there's no end in sight.

• 2 weeks later...

The Marvel Visionaries series was admittedly spotty, but they can be pretty fun. I got a couple in the mail yesterday; the John Romita Sr. one was a blast (if understandably ASM-heavy), but the Stan Lee one is actually pretty interesting. It collects stuff from the 40s through the 70s (with a quick eight-pager he wrote in the 90s), and it's remarkable to see him grow as a writer. His early Captain America stuff is actually pretty dire, and even the very early 60s stuff is still pretty cheesy, but there are some incredible stories from the late 60s that remind me why I was always such a fan.

Seen the 7 page preview. They've gotten the tone right but the pace is a little slower than I'm used to, which is understandable given it's a 22 pager. Definitely going to pick it up.

Also interesting that they've set it 34 years before the current strip time. The real time nature of Dredd does mean there's a lot of space for untold tales, especially given that Dredd was a twenty year veteran at the point the strip started.

I'm checking out the online comics marketplaces and I'm a little confused. With the cost of printing, shipping and the profits of the LCS out of the way why do all these books still cost the exact same? I'm buggered if I'll pay $4 for a datafile of a comic, especially when you get the same file free with a lot of the physical comics.

So, is it blatant profiteering or is it designed to keep the marketplace level and ensure that LCS's don't go extinct?

I'm checking out the online comics marketplaces and I'm a little confused. With the cost of printing, shipping and the profits of the LCS out of the way why do all these books still cost the exact same? I'm buggered if I'll pay $4 for a datafile of a comic, especially when you get the same file free with a lot of the physical comics.

So, is it blatant profiteering or is it designed to keep the marketplace level and ensure that LCS's don't go extinct?

I have the exact same issue with games.

It's probably for the same reasons. I get the idea behind the concession in both cases, it's to the advantage of the industry to maintain high street presences to foster their respective communities and promote new products, but the paranoia around cannibalising their own industry is also preventing a potentially huge growth area. If low-cost digital comics could gain a foothold through new technologies you're talking about a potentially huge new audience.

Honestly, there's no reason individual issues should be any more than 99 cents. But considering how tiny the industry is, relatively speaking, that might not be financially prudent. It's not that they couldn't lower prices; it's that their profit margin wouldn't be high enough considering the relatively low readership base.

But the point is that once the typical cut for the LCS, printing and shipping costs are done it could potentially halve the price without impacting Marvel's profit margin at all. Right now rather than what might say be 30% profit off a book they're taking 90% instead by charging the same amount.

A big part of it is that the industry is trying not to kill the vast majority of LCS stores. And I get that to a point - the industry has invested so heavily in comic shops that if they go away, so does the industry - but I legitimately don't understand many comic shop owners who believe that Marvel, DC and Image owe them their business. They are businesses. No one called on Hollywood to save video rental stores, and no one thought book publishers were going to bail out Borders.

I love my LCS. It's amazing. And from what I understand, it's doing really well, because the owner understands that he has a business, not a clubhouse for him and his friends to play Warhammer in. I've gone through probably ten LCS stores in the past eight years, and most of them are out of business now, precisely because their owners thought a shop would be a fun place to hang out, and not because they had any intention of learning how to run a store.