Episode 616

RSS

Loved the episode, but I got to admit, I really enjoy this film. And the prequel trilogy a lot. I thought Dan and Mike made great points, but at the end of the day, I just really enjoyed the movie I got.

I expect to hear a lot of negative comments about this, but I can only give my opinion. Anyway, great work guys. I look forward to episode III and really hope you discuss the (few) paralls between the trilogy's and, how Lucas tried to mirror the father and son journey.

Anyway, great listen.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome episode, guys. Loved your analysis. AOTC is the only Star Wars movie (not counting The Clone Wars) that I've ever walked out of and genuinely thought "that sucked."

I nominate Dan for Podcaster of Forever. (it's like the Guardian of Forever, but with snarky podcast commentary)

Some thoughts:

-I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan brought the training remote onto the Falcon.

-I really think you guys are overthinking the "this was made to be a video game" thing. The Coruscant car chase, the Jango/Obi-Wan fight, and the droid factory were ever made into a game. (barring Lego Star Wars, which came three years later and covered EVERYTHING in the entire saga) The only part of Attack of the Clones that made it into game form is the Battle of Geonosis. There was a Jedi starfighter game and a Jango Fett action game, but neither of them actually dealt with the events of the movie directly, and Jedi Starfighter was a sequel to Star Wars Starfighter, which had come out years prior. While it's been straight-up documented that Lucas has made creative decisions in the past to sell toys, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that he put action scenes or car chases into the films only to sell games. Especially when you consider Lucas's immense obsession with cars, speed, and Western-style gunslinging, I don't think it's fair to say that the chases and cool fights are simple video game ads.

-Regarding Padmé's wardrobe: it is insane, and I actually think it speaks to the fact that Padmé really was trying to lead Anakin on, starting all the way back when they left Coruscant. As soon as they reach the lake house, she puts on that backless thing (along with a heaping ton of blush makeup) and acts all hard-to-get. SHE WANTED HIM. But she can't wear that dress while frolicking in the fields, so she changes outfits again. Then, that night, she changes into a black corseted low-cut dress so that when she stands next to the firelight and breathes slow and heavily, Anakin is hypnotized by her heaving bust. Seriously, what senator wears this unless he/she is planning on inappropriately seducing a teenager? She acts all conflicted (and she is), but honestly, she was after him almost from the start.

To reiterate: PADMÉ IS CRAZY.

-3PO leaves with Anakin because he's Anakin's droid. Anakin left him on Tatooine originally to help his mother.

-I hereby vote we forever refer to Count Dooku as Darth Saruman.

-It really pisses me off that people call John Carter stupid for stealing from Attack of the Clones.

-Watch the shadow of Jango's helmet after it gets chopped off. The head falls out as it's flying through the air.

http://youtu.be/MjnD6NdC3e4

-WORST. LIGHTSABER FIGHT. EVER. UGH.

-This is easily the weakest soundtrack for any of the Star Wars films, but "Across the Stars" (the love theme) is AMAZING. It really bothers me that it's associated with one of the worst couples of all time.

(D)JANGO!

Guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm glad people are liking this one.

Honestly, this movie, more than any other, proves to me that Lucas cannot write for shit. Anakin goes from "Obi-Wan's my dad!" to "I hate Obi-Wan!" to "I'm a Jedi!" to "I'ma kill stuff!" to "PADME I HEAR YOUR SECRET BRAIN MESSAGES TO ME PLEASE TOUCH MY DOODLE" within seconds. It's crazy.

Guys,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm glad people are liking this one.

Honestly, this movie, more than any other, proves to me that Lucas cannot write for shit. Anakin goes from "Obi-Wan's my dad!" to "I hate Obi-Wan!" to "I'm a Jedi!" to "I'ma kill stuff!" to "PADME I HEAR YOUR SECRET BRAIN MESSAGES TO ME PLEASE TOUCH MY DOODLE" within seconds. It's crazy.

Sorry only part of the way through this,so you may mention it during the show, but was this the one Lucas brought in a co-writer for?

This and, if I'm not mistaken, Sith, had co-writers.

A New Hope is credited to Lucas alone but had a ton of uncredited co-writers as well. On the other end of the spectrum, Lucas is credited as a writer on Jedi but his actual contribution to the scripting is believed to be minimal, outside of the story.

I actually can't disagree. The duel is between an old man and someone in armor who can barely lift his arms, utilizing swords made of extremely fragile glass beads which shattered if they touched. On top of which, the original idea was that lightsabers were as heavy as broadswords, an idea that was abandoned before Empire. I can't stress enough how pants-shittingly cool that duel was in the late 70s, but that was due to the fact that laser swords are inherently awesome, not because the actual duel is any good.

The funny thing is that it's actually the most realistic duel of them all. Aside from a spin or two from Ben, there's no stuntfighting nonsense. It's less cool because of it, but it has a certain charm. At the very least, it accomplishes what it needs to for the story.

AOTC's duel, however, is painful from a choreography standpoint. If you pay attention, Obi-Wan and Anakin literally let Darth Saruman hit them in ways that don't even make sense, especially for The Chosen One and The Guy Who Killed Darth Maul. Then we have Yoda spinning around like a beyblade toy as the big finish? Bleh. In terms of story, choreography, common sense, and acting, AOTC has the weakest duel by far.

Tom fucking Stoppard consulted on Sith.

Which is why it's not completely fucking awful.

Even with all the criticism it receives I still think Revenge of the Sith is vastly overrated. The first 20 minutes are downright terrible and after that we get another infamous Anakin/Padme scene that is just as bad as the ones in AotC. Not to mention it's way more dark and depressing than a Star Wars film has the right to be, or should be.

This is a minor, and I stress minor annoyance I had with the editing, during your final thoughts, you slowly introduce the Star Wars theme, which is fine, but for me, it kind of took me out of hearing your final thoughts on the film as a whole, as I was kind of sitting going "Oh, that's it." and didn't really focus on what you were saying. I think you started slowly introducing the theme in and out for like five minutes, before the actual review ended. Like I say, that's just a minor complaint.

Overall, and otherwise, another great episode, and I look forward to your review of Sith.

Will most definitely take a listen tomorrow.

On a side note: This is episode 616. Can't believe you didn't take advantage of that numbering for some kinda Marvel episode or something.

Maybe they had a different reference. In some translations of the Bible 616 is said to be the number of the beast. I remember when "Attack of the Clones" came out and I felt like the only person who did not like it. There was a column in my local newspaper on why Anikan Skywalker was not scary. My relatives ,during Christmas, were confused to find me more excited to get "Spider-Man" on VHS than "Attack of the Clones" on DVD. I felt like the only person who did not accept the mark of the beast.