The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/22/2020 at 5:14 PM, slothian said:

Therefore, Superman III has two things going for it at least: the Clark vs Supes duel that everyone remembers, and that fucking moment which mortifies everyone.

It doesn't look like anyone's brought up that Superman III has Superman polluting a motherfucking ocean to get laid. 

7 hours ago, Koete said:

It doesn't look like anyone's brought up that Superman III has Superman polluting a motherfucking ocean to get laid. 

That's something I'm saving for the review on the next HAA. That and my stopwatch analysis of Richard Pryor's total screen time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the opportune time to ask:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier vs Blade

And having just rewatched Blade, I am NOT expecting a walkover - it's a film that has SO much going for it aside from the effects of the villain death, which is 5 seconds of a near 2 hour movie.

Shit, that's tricky.

Blade has way more style, which lately has been used as a negative in describing films. But it's style used to maximum effect. 

It's dark and moody but juuust superhero genre enough that it's fun. Snipes infuses Blade with tons of personality, even if he's often stoic and taciturn. Leaving us with great lines and moments.

Stephen Dorff's best performance..?

A film with black leads in both male and female but it doesn't contrive to the genre expectations of romance like, say, Aquaman for instance.

Top tier action.

I would say that...Blade is a better movie because of the time it came out. Comic Books movies were not only mostly not good, they were rarely that good. Having re-watched Blade a couple months back, you have to both squint and be in a bad mood to find something truly, objectively wrong with it as a film. 

Winter Solider's one of the best MCU films, and one of the best CBMs as well, but Blade's style puts it over IMO. It tells a more layered story, but Blade's simplicity gives it more efficacy. 

10 hours ago, Donomark said:

Shit, that's tricky.

Blade has way more style, which lately has been used as a negative in describing films. But it's style used to maximum effect. 

It's dark and moody but juuust superhero genre enough that it's fun. Snipes infuses Blade with tons of personality, even if he's often stoic and taciturn. Leaving us with great lines and moments.

Stephen Dorff's best performance..?

A film with black leads in both male and female but it doesn't contrive to the genre expectations of romance like, say, Aquaman for instance.

Top tier action.

I would say that...Blade is a better movie because of the time it came out. Comic Books movies were not only mostly not good, they were rarely that good. Having re-watched Blade a couple months back, you have to both squint and be in a bad mood to find something truly, objectively wrong with it as a film. 

Winter Solider's one of the best MCU films, and one of the best CBMs as well, but Blade's style puts it over IMO. It tells a more layered story, but Blade's simplicity gives it more efficacy. 

Very well put!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, slothian said:

That's not an answer.

My gut answer is “The Wizard of Oz is a fucking masterpiece and 2001: A Space Odyssey is fucking dull.”

The honest answer is that Wizard is due for a rewatch in light of HAA! and I’ve only seen 2001 once and it was about ten years ago (in fact, both are now currently on why watchlist for HBO Max, which I got last week).

Even if I end up liking 2001 next time, though, it’s extremely unlikely I’d rank it anywhere near Wizard in terms of quality, soul, or legacy.

1 hour ago, You Know Who said:

My gut answer is “The Wizard of Oz is a fucking masterpiece and 2001: A Space Odyssey is fucking dull.”

The honest answer is that Wizard is due for a rewatch in light of HAA! and I’ve only seen 2001 once and it was about ten years ago (in fact, both are now currently on why watchlist for HBO Max, which I got last week).

Even if I end up liking 2001 next time, though, it’s extremely unlikely I’d rank it anywhere near Wizard in terms of quality, soul, or legacy.

I've said before - in the Nolan Flickchart Forum if memory serves, so you were there - that 2001 is pretentious wank. And whilst I stand by that, it is also a hugely layered film and I can see why it's so influential and revered. The lack of dialogue helps & hinders it, but it's the ending that gets my goat over everything else. But I'd give it props for quality, soul, or legacy.

Wizard of Oz, well, the podcast will be edited later this week. Don't get me wrong; I don't slate it, but I was less impressed with this most recent viewing.