The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

On 10/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, slothian said:

The original. The live action film has a phenomenal cast, but if you strip it back/notice the credits, it's simply a 90s John Hughes film using the 101 Dalmations story. By which I mean adult antagonists consistently humiliated by children/animals. Does Cruella de Vil need to be dropped in a vat of molasses? Hardly. But that's the kind of thing you get in the Home Alone films, Dennis the Menace, Baby's Day Out....

On 10/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, dc20willsave said:

As Iconic as Glenn Close is as Cruella DeVil, it's always going to be the original for me also.

My thoughts on the original will be in Episode 14, but I'm inclined to agree with both of you. That said, I'd love it be a covered if HAA! ever did a Glenn Close month. She chews the scenery like a starving shark that stumbled upon a whale carcass and she actually got herself covered in molasses and baked into a cake in its sequel, rather than having a stuntperson or CG double get subjected to it her place. Also, unlike most John Hughes I know of, there are no annoying teenagers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 1:55 PM, dc20willsave said:

Sound of Music. It's not even close.

Not for my Flickchart it wasn't. I love and grew up with both, but Sound of Music doesn't the same economy of storytelling (to paraphrase Tom) or as good a hot-to-miss ratio with its songs as Jungle Book (lest we forget The Lonely Goatherd). That said, Sound of Music has Christopher Plummer ripping up the Nazi flag and that's hard to beat.

The Aristocats vs. Batman Returns

Spoiler:

Spoiler

I really dislike both.

I was down on Batman Returns for years but coming back to it last year, the Selina Kyle story is excellent. Likewise, Christopher Walken is having the time of his life. The Penguin stuff, I can give or take but, if someone is going to say Die Hard is the best Christmas Movie of all time, my new response has become, "Nah, it's Batman Returns." Do I believe that? Fuck no but it's answering on their plain of thinking.

18 hours ago, dc20willsave said:

I was down on Batman Returns for years but coming back to it last year, the Selina Kyle story is excellent. Likewise, Christopher Walken is having the time of his life. The Penguin stuff, I can give or take but, if someone is going to say Die Hard is the best Christmas Movie of all time, my new response has become, "Nah, it's Batman Returns." Do I believe that? Fuck no but it's answering on their plain of thinking.

That's some delightful trolling!

• 2 weeks later...

There's things I definitely appreciate about Batman Returns, like the visuals and most of the acting, but it's such a mean- spirited movie that whenever somebody jumps to the head of the line and impulsively says "And that's why this is the best Batman film!" I'm quick with a slap upside their head.

• 2 weeks later...

Paddington lives up to its substantial hype, whereas the Winnie the Pooh film is basically one of the package movies but featuring the same characters throughout - it's charming enough, but it lacks a throughline narrative or any real tension/conflict. I would add that I don't *expect* tension/conflict in a Winnie the pooh anthology film, but Paddington deals with that and makes it wholly satisfactory.