The All-Purpose Flickchart thread

slothian

On 6/21/2023 at 3:04 PM, slothian said:

Haven't seen Hunchback in a while, but I'm going to say DKR. Not by much, but the acting and effects make up for the defincies in the story.

Probably same. It's a longer film, so there's more stuff in its runtime that I enjoy than Hunchback.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, You Know Who said:

Hercules (1997) vs Star Trek (2009)

OR, if you've not seen that Star Trek film (like presumably @slothian)...

Hercules (1997) vs Superman II

Sorry, too long since I've seen either. And you presume correctly!

In Bruges vs Some Like It Hot

58 minutes ago, You Know Who said:

THAT bothered you more than this? Pfft…

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.ec320a1febca128fb2c6d7a997416e36.jpeg

I think you, of all people, would know the extent to which Disney sanitises the source material of their animated film adaptations. Zeus raping everything in sight just wasn't going to fly....

4 hours ago, slothian said:

I think you, of all people, would know the extent to which Disney sanitises the source material of their animated film adaptations. Zeus raping everything in sight just wasn't going to fly....

Certain stories can have their rougher edges hewn off, have their endings changed, or even be completely rewritten and actually be better for it (see Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, and pretty much every Bond film based on one of Ian Fleming’s novels).

HOWEVER 

Spoiler

Zeus’ infidelities — whether they’re presented as consensual affairs, seductions, assaults, or some combination of the three — are so much a part of Greek mythology that when you adapt Greek mythology without them, you’re not getting it right and it makes you question whether it’s a good idea to adapt the lore to begin with, let alone as a light-hearted Disney’s film. It’d be like making a Robin Hood film without him stealing from the rich to feed the poor, a Sherlock Holmes one without the detailed deductions, or a Snow White one where she’s too cautious to bite into the apple.

Donovan and I address this issue towards the very end of the review and he mentions his own example of it.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, slothian said:

On topic:

Fantasia vs LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

Being John Malkovich vs Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The Wizard of Oz vs Fantasia

Aladdin vs The Great Mouse Detective

Fantasia for both (though not by much and bearing in mind I’m one of its biggest fans) and Aladdin probably just edges out The Great Mouse Detective for me on the strength of its musical numbers, although it’s a close-run thing as well as a favorite vs best situation for me.

Not seen Eternal Sunshine yet.

38 minutes ago, slothian said:

In Bruges vs Some Like It Hot

The Princess Bride vs The Dark Knight

Doctor Strange vs Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

I've only seen it once and am due for a rewatch of it, but I already suspect Some Like It Hot is better than Bruges, especially considering when it was made.

The Dark Knight and Strange 1.