Halloween remake

Missy

The Great Halloween Remake Debate

Now that the almighty and powerful Weinstein boys have obtained the rights to the Halloween franchise, everyone but Disney is wondering what the future holds for Michael Myers and his soon-to-be victims. We already know Halloween 9: Retribution is in the works, but beyond that it's anyone's guess. The rumor going around right now claims that, depending on how well Retribution does at the box office and on DVD, the Weinsteins may opt to go the Batman Begins route with Halloween 10 and just simply start from the beginning.

The peeps over at Dread Central met up with Malek Akkad (son of Moustapha and in charge of everything Myers for Trancas International) recently and asked whether or not there's any truth behind these rumors. According to Akkad, this whole remake thing is a "touchy subject because Halloween is such a classic and still holds up today. It's a case of why fix what isn't broken." Yet, he did note that it is something they are "considering for the tenth installment."

Now, before you start hating on the Weinsteins, why don't we weigh the pros and cons here. The most fascinating aspect of the series thus far, for me, has been Michael Myers' backstory. If they could attach a talented writer and somehow flesh out that story, starting over may not be such a bad idea. Then again, you're remaking a classic that has an enormous cult following – the kind of following that would rather shell out cash for a sequel and subsequent Special Edition DVD's, than get behind anything that even attempts to go near the orginal. It's a damn risky move, but one that only Bob and Harvey can pull off successfully. What are your thoughts?

Source

• 7 months later...

Something about this press release doesn't sit right with me, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Rob Zombie To Write, Direct Next Halloween Sequel

NEW YORK, June 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Dimension Films is proud to announce that they will make a new "Halloween" movie with Rob Zombie ("The Devil's Rejects," "House of 1000 Corpses") writing, directing and serving as a producer.

Malek Akkad of Trancas International Films ("Halloween H20: 20 Years Later") will produce the feature along with Andy Gould of Vision Entertainment Group ("The Devil's Rejects," "House of 1000 Corpses").

Zombie will also serve as music supervisor on the film. Miramax Films will co-finance the development with Dimension Films. The announcement was made today by The Weinstein Company co- chairman, Bob Weinstein.

Zombie's vision of this film is an entirely new take on the legend and will satisfy fans of the classic "Halloween" legacy while beginning a new chapter in the Michael Myers saga. This new movie will not only appeal to horror fans, but to a wider movie-going audience as well. It will not be a copycat of any prior films in the "Halloween" franchise. The film is set for an October 2007 theatrical release.

Bob Weinstein stated, "Rob Zombie is a gifted musician and performer as well as a talented filmmaker. His vision for this new 'Halloween' is spectacular and I am thrilled to be collaborating with him and to work closely with Malek Akkad to continue the legacy built by his father, the late Moustapha Akkad."

Zombie said, "I have been a huge, huge fan of John Carpenter's original film since its release. So when Bob Weinstein approached me about this, I jumped at the chance to join forces with Dimension Films on this amazing project."

The "Halloween" story began with the 1978 release of "John Carpenter's Halloween," executive produced by the late Moustapha Akkad, founder of Trancas International Films and became the highest grossing independent film of the time. Moustapha Akkad's son, Malek, is now taking some of the reigns on this new "Halloween" project to continue the outstanding work begun by his father. Malek Akkad stated, "Trancas is very excited to be working with Rob Zombie and producing another 'Halloween' with Bob Weinstein and Dimension, the home of the franchise for the last three installments. It will be a fitting and worthy tribute to my late father."

Another source:

Rob Zombie Bringing Another Halloween

If something inside you desired another Halloween movie, allow yourself a brief moment of excitement. It was announced that Rob Zombie, director of House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, will write and direct a new version of the classic:

"I think the story and the situation is scary. All it needed was someone to come in and to take a totally different approach to make it scary again. To me, that's the challenge and that's the fun. Everything that has come before does not figure into this one. That series is done".

Hasn't Rob Zombie proved that he can't make good(ones that make money) movies?

Another source:

Rob Zombie Bringing Another Halloween

If something inside you desired another Halloween movie, allow yourself a brief moment of excitement. It was announced that Rob Zombie, director of House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects, will write and direct a new version of the classic:

"I think the story and the situation is scary. All it needed was someone to come in and to take a totally different approach to make it scary again. To me, that's the challenge and that's the fun. Everything that has come before does not figure into this one. That series is done".

Hasn't Rob Zombie proved that he can't make good(ones that make money) movies?

Actually Zombie has proved that he can make low-budget films that make a decent deal of money for what it cost him to make the film. Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" cost $7 million to make and it raked in almost $17 million worldwide. His second film "The Devil's Rejects" cost $7 million as well and raked in almost $20 million worldwide. Neither of his films were released in more than 2000 theaters. If you look at if from a certain standpoint Zombie makes perfect sense to try and resurrect the franchise. Halloween has a built in audience that will most likely flock to the film regardless, other horror fans will jump on board because of Zombie's reputation for making very gritty and disturbing films. If he can produce the film for just under $10 million it has the chance to rake in quite a bit of money as you can be sure that it will release in close to 3000 theaters.

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm shockingly optimistic about this decision. Zombie is VERY well schooled in horror history and everything, and I think that is the most important aspect that was needed for the next writer. Very cool and I'm hopeful.

• 6 months later...

From http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31072

Hey Guys, I just found news about who will be playing the adult Michael Myers from Rob Zombie’s myspace website…… It read as follows;

………….Here's more exciting news for the holiday break. Adult Michael Myers will be played by TYLER MANE.

I'm sure you all remember Tyler as Rufus from The Devil's Rejects, Sabretooth in the X-Men and the unstoppable Ajax in Troy.

• 3 months later...
Is it me or when Michael Meyers murders his sister does he seem to a teenager?

You know, as opposed to the original when he appeared to be about 7 or 8 years old :huh:

The trailer has been removed, but if that's the case I disagree with the reinterpretation of the character. To me, the fact that MM killed his sister when he was a little kid is the biggest selling point on how evil he is.

Tyler Mane is a great choice to play MM. The killer should be very large and intimidating.

Tyler Mane is a great choice to play MM. The killer should be very large and intimidating.

I disagree. Myers should be able to be anybody behind that mask. That's what makes him scary. He's either a deranged killer or your dad trying to scare you.

On another note: THEY GOT THE MASK AAAAALLLLLLLLL WRONG!!!!!! I don't purport to be a director regardless of how much I'd love to do it but how can I trust this film when they got the EASIEST thing to do completely wrong.

A fanboy does not a good director make.

On another note: THEY GOT THE MASK AAAAALLLLLLLLL WRONG!!!!!! I don't purport to be a director regardless of how much I'd love to do it but how can I trust this film when they got the EASIEST thing to do completely wrong.

Shatner probably didn't sign off on the use of likeness :devil: :devil:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished watching it like seconds ago, so everything I say will be fresh in my mind. I thought it was good. The first half is probably the most emotional I have been watching a movie in years. That kid deserves an award for making me feel sorry for Michael Myers. The scenes with him as a kid wearing the Myers mask was creepier than when he's an adult.

It starts off with some very funny stuff with his family. Everything his step-dad says will get roars of laughter in the theater. I wondered if the whole movie was going to be like that. It definitely didn't take long to go dark.

The body count is right where I thought it was going to be, and the boob count is higher.

Malcolm McDowell phoned this one in. I had to laugh at one scene when his acting was so bad, and not to mention the hair on his "younger version" will get lots of laughs.

The second half is basically another Halloween movie. MM kills people. It's still fun to watch though.

Up until one point, everyone he kills is an asshole, or "deserves it" in some way. I was wondering if they were going to keep it that way to keep him more sympathetic.

There are some people we don't know if they died, and there is one instance where all the sudden MM is standing over a body we never saw before. Then he does something to his mom's(?) grave that they never explain. That whole graveyard scene confused me.

I loved the music in this movie. It was all 70s and 80s rock like Love Hurts by Nazareth mixed with the classic Halloween theme. I think I heard Dio at one point if you can believe that.

I kinda wish they just made the whole movie about him as a kid.

I want to point out that he wears the same outfit as in the others, and they show where he gets it. He doesn't wear leather pants. He is the Michael Myers. They didn't change much. He still doesn't speak, and they show us why.

A warning to those that want to watch the leaked version. It's not the same as the final version. There were more deaths added, and the ending changed somewhat in the final version, and one of the most violent scenes in the movie was taken out.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070828i.php

I thought it seemed finished except for one scene.