Civil War *SPOILERS!*

S-T

I just think it's very interesting that a year ago DC made a big deal with keeping identities secret (Identity Crisis) and this year it's Marvel making an identity statement. I liked DC's take and I'm also liking Marvel's.

I'm pretty much on the side of not revealing identities, but I understand why Tony did what he did. My question is. Why say anything about your alchohol addiction? Isn't he consisdered one of the smartest individuals in the Marvel U? I feel revealing his identity was bad, but potentially giving your enemy's your one weakness...well, was just dumb. Doesn't seem like a smart move for one of the smartest men on the planet.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think it's very interesting that a year ago DC made a big deal with keeping identities secret (Identity Crisis) and this year it's Marvel making an identity statement. I liked DC's take and I'm also liking Marvel's.

I'm pretty much on the side of not revealing identities, but I understand why Tony did what he did. My question is. Why say anything about your alchohol addiction? Isn't he consisdered one of the smartest individuals in the Marvel U? I feel revealing his identity was bad, but potentially giving your enemy's your one weakness...well, was just dumb. Doesn't seem like a smart move for one of the smartest men on the planet.

If you are referring to his "I'm Tony Stark, and I'm an alchoholic" line when he reveals himself, I think he's making a joke. The situation is like being in AA and having to stand in front of everyone and tell your secrets.

I read it as: "I'm Tony Stark. (I'm beyond rich. Famous doesn't begin to describe me. If I wanted to, I could shag any of you, your wives and mothers without much effort. The only living person smarter than me is Reed Richards. But I'm not perfect.) And I'm an alcoholic."

It was Tony trying to make the worldwide audience realize he's just as human (RE: fallible) as the rest of us.

I read it as: "I'm Tony Stark. (I'm beyond rich. Famous doesn't begin to describe me. If I wanted to, I could shag any of you, your wives and mothers without much effort. The only living person smarter than me is Reed Richards. But I'm not perfect.) And I'm an alcoholic."

It was Tony trying to make the worldwide audience realize he's just as human (RE: fallible) as the rest of us.

I agree, plus he has very little personal ties. But, spiders unmasking is just going to make his life so much worse.

So you think anyone is going to call it quits? I see some of these guys just giving up the fight when it comes down to it.

BTW, work was so fucking boring today! You roadtrip podcast totally helped me out.

I merged your thread with this one, Bento, because it contained two spoilers and I figured all CW talk should go in this thread anyway.

So you think anyone is going to call it quits? I see some of these guys just giving up the fight when it comes down to it.

The first one to spring to mind is Tony. He'll install someone else in the armor, while still funding the Avengers.

BTW, work was so fucking boring today! You roadtrip podcast totally helped me out.

Aw. That's great to hear; thank you!

I never understood that in this storyline. In real life the conservative patform is about as little government as possible, where as the Liberal platform thinks it's the governments job to tell you what's allowed and what's not.

I honestly think the parties' stances on gun control wasn't even in the writers' minds here. It may not be an obvious parallel, but I'd say the current debates over gay marriage and gay rights were probably a little more of an inspiration. In that instance, your description of the two parties' systems of belief couldn't be further from the truth. It's not liberals moving to promote a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused. In X-Factor#8, Jamie Madrox has a dupe that is a Shield Agent that comes to make sure they adhere to the SuperHero Registration Act, but in Wolverine#43 Iron Man tells Wolverine that the 198 are already registered with the governement. Basically, all Mutants are exempt from having to register because they already know who they all are. Why are X-Factor having to comply with the S.R.A.?

Hard to say without seeing the scene in context, but my best guess is that because Madrox and his crew are living outside of the X-Mansion / 198 encampment / away from Sentinel rule, maybe they don't count as being "de facto" registered like the other mutants.

• 1 month later...

I've had a HUGE revelation. Y'all know the disc Reed had laying around his office, the one labeled 42? I think I know what's on it.

Who's the biggest thorn in the pro-SRA side? None other than Captain America. When did the Super Soldier Program begin? According to Truth: Red, White and Black... 1942. That disc contains the "lost" Super Soldier Serum formula. Reed, Tony and the US government plan to build a new Super Soldier army or a brand new Captain America.

Additionally, I believe Steve Rogers will die in Civil War #4, thus sparking the need to initiate their plans. However, the Winter Soldier (Bucky) will toss a monkey wrench into the mix when he becomes the new Captain America.

Quote me on this!

I've had a HUGE revelation. Y'all know the disc Reed had laying around his office, the one labeled 42? I think I know what's on it.

Who's the biggest thorn in the pro-SRA side? None other than Captain America. When did the Super Soldier Program begin? According to Truth: Red, White and Black... 1942. That disc contains the "lost" Super Soldier Serum formula. Reed, Tony and the US government plan to build a new Super Soldier army or a brand new Captain America.

Additionally, I believe Steve Rogers will die in Civil War #4, thus sparking the need to initiate their plans. However, the Winter Soldier (Bucky) will toss a monkey wrench into the mix when he becomes the new Captain America.

Quote me on this!

I was thinking about the Winter Soldier taking up the mantle of Captain America too but the whole "42" thing eluded me. I was thinking it might be a prison or something they would build but now it seems to make a lot more sense.

Cap is as big a character to the Marvel Universe as Superman is in DC but he is far more expendable. Thanks for making the link Yoda, I have to agree with that.

PS Where's John Walker/US Agent?

From wikipedia:

Most recently, he is a member of the New Invaders, wearing a more Captain America-like costume. When most of that group disbanded in the wake of the apparent death of the original Human Torch, the USAgent, Union Jack (Joseph Chapman), and the Blazing Skull are still together as members. Towards the beginning of the run, US Agent insisted on being called Captain America, although many of the older team members who knew the original Cap refused to do so.

Maybe they will pull a switch. Maybe the Cap that gets killed will turn out to be US Agent instead.

• 2 weeks later...

In wizard it has a lowdown of the major players for Civil War 7 for each side, Falcon isn't mentioned but Goliath and Iron Fist as Daredevil are.

Plus we know from the recent Cable and Deadpool issue that Thor is the one who kills someone and in the recent x-men civil war issue where Scott is talking to Cap, Cap says now is not a good time for him, plus he looks all beat up.

I am sticking with Falcon as the one who dies for the reasons in my above post.

So I'm caught up on all the Civil War stuff now, and one thing really bothers me.

SHIELD is fighting with one armed tied behind its back. They're not using the Sentinels for anything other than to keep the mutants out of it(most of whom would probably stay out anyway, with some exceptions). If the Sentinels are equipped to fight the X-Men and the 198, why in the world would they be incapable of taking down Cap & company? Unless they have their hands full at the Mansion, which doesn't appear to be the case, as they sent units after the X-Men once they left the school grounds, and Slayton referred to them as "pushovers."

So, why aren't they using the Sentinels against the anti-SRA group? Is it a political thing? I did notice that they weren't allowed to use lethal force on the 198, but could with their unregistered benefactors, so maybe it's a "Sentinel's are for use against mutants only" kind of thing, but that would be lame and stupid. They were developed to stop dangerous individuals with super-powers, and aren't being used entirely for that purpose.

So I'm caught up on all the Civil War stuff now, and one thing really bothers me.

SHIELD is fighting with one armed tied behind its back. They're not using the Sentinels for anything other than to keep the mutants out of it(most of whom would probably stay out anyway, with some exceptions). If the Sentinels are equipped to fight the X-Men and the 198, why in the world would they be incapable of taking down Cap & company? Unless they have their hands full at the Mansion, which doesn't appear to be the case, as they sent units after the X-Men once they left the school grounds, and Slayton referred to them as "pushovers."

So, why aren't they using the Sentinels against the anti-SRA group? Is it a political thing? I did notice that they weren't allowed to use lethal force on the 198, but could with their unregistered benefactors, so maybe it's a "Sentinel's are for use against mutants only" kind of thing, but that would be lame and stupid. They were developed to stop dangerous individuals with super-powers, and aren't being used entirely for that purpose.

I do see what you're saying but I'll go a little farther and ask what the Sentinels even stand for besides a symbol of mutant persecution anymore.

It seems like, after the X-Men animated series, the Sentinels are made of tin. Anybody with a power signature can destroy them (Cyclops, Havok), anybody with a mutant weapon (Wolverine, Maggot), anybody who's a telekinetic can destroy them. Why would you want to send them up against Captain America who could take an entire squadron of Sentinels out on his own without breaking a sweat.

Morrison tried to bring back the menace of the Sentinels what with the Master Mold thing and the attack on Genosha but Marvel went and retconned that, like they did with everything else Morrison did on New X-Men.

Not these Sentinels, though. Iceman, Cyclops, Beast, and Archangel hit one with everything they had and it just shrugged it off. It even tracked them well after they escaped! (EDIT: Well, it actually lost them, now that I go back and read it again, but it claimed it could)

If one can handle that team, then one could easily whoop up on Captain America.

And even though they have human pilots, not even Emma could evade capture, and she's currently THE most powerful telepath (hero, anyways) in the Marvel Universe (at least until Quicksilver runs into Xavier).

Anyway, it seems to be a political thing after a little more research. The O*N*E Sentinels seem to be there just as much to protect the mutants as to keep them in line (hence Bishop's comments about O*N*E). Still, if the O*N*E is concerned with the weakened position of the X-Men, shouldn't they be just as concerned with a fucking superhero war in New York City? Plus, the current Sentinels were developed by Stark, so why don't they just put the capekillers in them?

It's a relatively little thing, but it bugs the crap outta me.