Spider-Man 4

Missy

Accept shit as it is and don't suggest for it to be improved. Sound advice.

See, I thought the first two films were great personally. So this whole “accepting shit” angle seems absurd to me. I’m accepting two great films. Sorry you didn’t like them.

He wrote off the mechanical webshooters because he believes it would be unrealsitc, yet organic webshooters are realistic?

Nothing about Spiderman is realistic. Dude get's bitten by a radioactive spider, gains spider like abilities, becomes a superhero. Changing his web shooters from mechanical attachments to a natural ability that comes with being bitten by a radioactive spider isn’t any less realistic. It’s not any more realistic either. I think it works better for the film though.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051

I Agree AJR

I was quoting Raimi directly though.

He states either in the commentary or a special feature on the first film that teenagers today couldn't build a webshooter type so for them "the filmmakers" it was easier and made more sense to incorporate the webbing into the powers received from the spiderbite.

And the reason he gave about a teen today not being smart enough to build a webshooter is because there are more "everyman" types of teenagers then science Geniuses

Right, because I'm lazy, this will be short and sweet.

A lot of you seem to be mistaking spandex for what they wear in the comics. The Batsuit has been given much more technological explanations also explanations for practical use.

Now, Nolan and his crew did somewhat honor the source material in this regard, but not honorable enough.

So, you want the movie to be five hours and Bruce and Alfred shopping about for the ebst deal and look for the bat costume? Most people were happy with how long they spent getting the Bat suit read. Frankly any longer and people would have been pissed off about and said, they wanted to see batman begins, not Christian Bale and Michael Caine shop for hats, which I would love to see.....

The first movie as are the otherse were trash. The only characters who got decent writing were the Green Goblin and J. Jonah Jameson. Though I take issue with the costume choice for the Green Goblin, it wasn't as bad as the choice for Harry's, but not faithful enough for Norman's. Harry's costume as the Green Goblin was trash.

They had to make the costume more realistic. Why would an Insane villian in the real world make a costume out of rubber or something when he has military equipment at hand?

Nice attitude towards the costumes in the comics. Real nice.

As I said before, I am not suggesting they wear spandex. Just forget about the gold and blue costume for a moment, and try to imagine the brown and tan costume. Oh, that wouldn't work either, huh? Oh, I know! How about black leather? Yes! Those were classic and functionable. Not in the least.

What? Why are you assuming that I don't like his costume in the comics?

Most people, such as myself several years ago, knew Wolverine from the 90's cartoon, and nothing else. So if they put him in the brown tan outfit, and he looked different from the other X-men they wouldn't be able to answer that as simple as "Well their a team, they have to look alike."

These films are set in this millenium when things have changed so much, superheros need to be more than just guys in costumes who fight crime and watch women undress, which is why Superman returns was shit.

I'd like to be on a professional film crew that would be translating the material to film, but hey, it's likely it ain't going to come to fruition.

As far as comics go, I don't really have in mind. I just don't have any ideas at the moment in that department. Though, I sure as hell wouldn't bastardize characters as Marvel has the past few years.

tell you what, In the fan fiction section, you write the script or just an outline of a realistic comic movie? And when I have the time, I'll do it as well, cause these things are as easy to write as they look.

You sound a lot like Nolan does, tryin' to be realistic and such. His Batman films aren't realistic.

I'm not saying translate everything. The core elements and characteristics though should be translated otherwise it's generic, just look at Wolverine in the movies. Generic is what he is. He ain't even close to Wolverine in the comics.

Well, Nolan's films are trying to be realistic, but at the same time be good, and at the same time to help with writing the script and keep it grounded remember that this is meant to be real, if we don't believe it's real then how can the audience?

A prime example is Batman and Robin in which every day on set Schumacher would say"remember this is a comic book movie..."

I haven't said only this generation's superhero movies are shit films. It goes all they way back to the first productions and even the television series'.

The only true greatness of Raimi's Spider-Man films have been when Spider-Man is in action. Other than that, it's shit. Organic webshooters were a very bad choice, not only did it take away from his engineering skills, it was unrealistic even though Raimi wanted to be more realistic in going with that option.

Could you name one superhero movie you enjoyed? you never answered that question.

He wrote off the mechanical webshooters because he believes it would be unrealsitc, yet organic webshooters are realistic?

He either doesn't understand that Peter Parker is not an everyman character, or his imagination is pretty sad.

Well, Spiders don't use web-shooters do they?

Also if you want a realistic story, why the fuck are they doing this shit to spiders and why did a radio active spider bite him and not kill him!

Oh, and I was promised a cake?

Guest DCAUFan1051

you guys are wayyyyyy to funny.

I'm sorry for the following:

Feral the WHOLE point of watching movies is to suspend disbelief and ENJOY THEM!!!!!!

I agree with suave you never answered the question:

Is there any comicbook movie you really enjoyed?

The Spider-Man movies were good films. Here's my small opinions on each of them.

Spider-Man; typical "Origin" story, told well, characters are fresh, but does have its flaws, no Gwen Stacey, too short and the "Origin' part feels a bit rushed. Now I agree that you can't follow the written story to a T, but continuity wise, Gwen Stacey was there first. MJ wasn't in the comics until later. Still the acting was mediocre, William DeFoe was a great bad guy, Kirsten Dunst is beautiful in the role, James Franco is a good background character, I love how his character grows throughout the series. Tobey MaGuire's a geek, but we all know that. Bruce Campbell is of course great in everything he does. 7 out of 10

Spider-Man II; FUCKING AWESOME, much, much better than the original, this takes everything that was great about the original and topples more on it. Dr. Octopus is a great sympathetic villain, you really feel for him at times. We get Curt Connors whose character will of course become The Lizard(hopefully in Part 4). All the original actor have grown more into their characters and it shows. 9 out of 10.

Spider-Man III; what the hell happened!? Don't get me wrong, this isn't the worse film, but it had so many characters in the mix it was impossible not to fail. The Venom and Sandman characters were treated badley, Harry Obourne's was done right, along with Tobey and Kirsten, but that is it. 6 out of 10

Guest DCAUFan1051

the only good thing about the Venom character in the film was that they captured the symbiote look VERY well. I loved the look of the goo and seeing Spidey in the black suit on the big screen was great!!!!!

SpideyBlackSuit.jpg

I loved all the three films no matter what anyone says that's just the way I feel LOL :D

the only good thing about the Venom character in the film was that they captured the symbiote look VERY well. I loved the look of the goo and seeing Spidey in the black suit on the big screen was great!!!!!

SpideyBlackSuit.jpg

I loved all the three films no matter what anyone says that's just the way I feel LOL :D

Oh, I agree the black suit on spider-man looked awesome, but the movie had so many branching plots, and none of them paid off well.

I may have enjoyed the movie, but it was the definition of clusterfuck.

Sandman looked great, but his story was crap. Venom had a great story, but they didn't give the time it needed to develop. Sandman should have been a minor character just around to allow time for the Venom story to unfold.

Sandman had an ok story, but I did not like the end of his character.

They should gave just had Venom's story and small time crooks with Eddie going nuts for the first hour or so. Not just Eddie deciding to be evil right at the end.

Sandman looked great, but his story was crap. Venom had a great story, but they didn't give the time it needed to develop. Sandman should have been a minor character just around to allow time for the Venom story to unfold.

Sandman had an ok story, but I did not like the end of his character.

They should gave just had Venom's story and small time crooks with Eddie going nuts for the first hour or so. Not just Eddie deciding to be evil right at the end.

They never should have involved Sandman in Uncle Ben's murder. I think they did that to make him a main character which he never should have been if Venom is in it also. Don't even get me started on Harry Osborne.

He either doesn't understand that Peter Parker is not an everyman character, or his imagination is pretty sad.

Despite his super-smarts, Peter is an everyman. That's why he's Marvel's gateway character. In some way we can all relate to him.

The thing is, you don't accept improvements. When one is made from comic to film, you blow it off because it isn't like the comics.

Regardless of what Raimi's Spider-Man movies want you to believe, Peter Parker is not an everyman character. The movies made him come off as an airhead and was boring. But, hey, you all want to be able relate to these characters, so yes, by all means, let's see more of those types of superhero movies.

See, I thought the first two films were great personally. So this whole "accepting shit" angle seems absurd to me. I'm accepting two great films. Sorry you didn't like them.

Nothing about Spiderman is realistic. Dude get's bitten by a radioactive spider, gains spider like abilities, becomes a superhero. Changing his web shooters from mechanical attachments to a natural ability that comes with being bitten by a radioactive spider isn't any less realistic. It's not any more realistic either. I think it works better for the film though.

It bothers me that people write off superhero movies that would be more faithful to the source material than the one's that have already been made.

I didn't say Spider-Man was realistic. That type of talk is coming from the people who makes these movies, especially Nolan.

Right, because I'm lazy, this will be short and sweet.

A lot of you seem to be mistaking spandex for what they wear in the comics. The Batsuit has been given much more technological explanations also explanations for practical use.

Now, Nolan and his crew did somewhat honor the source material in this regard, but not honorable enough.

So, you want the movie to be five hours and Bruce and Alfred shopping about for the ebst deal and look for the bat costume? Most people were happy with how long they spent getting the Bat suit read. Frankly any longer and people would have been pissed off about and said, they wanted to see batman begins, not Christian Bale and Michael Caine shop for hats, which I would love to see.....

The first movie as are the otherse were trash. The only characters who got decent writing were the Green Goblin and J. Jonah Jameson. Though I take issue with the costume choice for the Green Goblin, it wasn't as bad as the choice for Harry's, but not faithful enough for Norman's. Harry's costume as the Green Goblin was trash.

They had to make the costume more realistic. Why would an Insane villian in the real world make a costume out of rubber or something when he has military equipment at hand?

Nice attitude towards the costumes in the comics. Real nice.

As I said before, I am not suggesting they wear spandex. Just forget about the gold and blue costume for a moment, and try to imagine the brown and tan costume. Oh, that wouldn't work either, huh? Oh, I know! How about black leather? Yes! Those were classic and functionable. Not in the least.

What? Why are you assuming that I don't like his costume in the comics?

Most people, such as myself several years ago, knew Wolverine from the 90's cartoon, and nothing else. So if they put him in the brown tan outfit, and he looked different from the other X-men they wouldn't be able to answer that as simple as "Well their a team, they have to look alike."

These films are set in this millenium when things have changed so much, superheros need to be more than just guys in costumes who fight crime and watch women undress, which is why Superman returns was shit.

I'd like to be on a professional film crew that would be translating the material to film, but hey, it's likely it ain't going to come to fruition.

As far as comics go, I don't really have in mind. I just don't have any ideas at the moment in that department. Though, I sure as hell wouldn't bastardize characters as Marvel has the past few years.

tell you what, In the fan fiction section, you write the script or just an outline of a realistic comic movie? And when I have the time, I'll do it as well, cause these things are as easy to write as they look.

You sound a lot like Nolan does, tryin' to be realistic and such. His Batman films aren't realistic.

I'm not saying translate everything. The core elements and characteristics though should be translated otherwise it's generic, just look at Wolverine in the movies. Generic is what he is. He ain't even close to Wolverine in the comics.

Well, Nolan's films are trying to be realistic, but at the same time be good, and at the same time to help with writing the script and keep it grounded remember that this is meant to be real, if we don't believe it's real then how can the audience?

A prime example is Batman and Robin in which every day on set Schumacher would say"remember this is a comic book movie..."

I haven't said only this generation's superhero movies are shit films. It goes all they way back to the first productions and even the television series'.

The only true greatness of Raimi's Spider-Man films have been when Spider-Man is in action. Other than that, it's shit. Organic webshooters were a very bad choice, not only did it take away from his engineering skills, it was unrealistic even though Raimi wanted to be more realistic in going with that option.

Could you name one superhero movie you enjoyed? you never answered that question.

Well, Spiders don't use web-shooters do they?

Also if you want a realistic story, why the fuck are they doing this shit to spiders and why did a radio active spider bite him and not kill him!

Oh, and I was promised a cake?

I didn't say I want a five hour Batman movie, a three hour Batman movie would work just fine.

And yes, the Batman would be the dominant persona throughout the movies. Not some half-ass version like we got in Nolan's films. He would be driven and not be reckless and not be told what he needs to do in order to better Gotham. He doesn't get everything handed to him. He's obsessive in the sense that it his mission to stop crime on all levels, even street crime and not just a rival who he has personal issues with.

There you go with the realism issue regarding the Green Goblin's costume. It would not be unrealistic for someone who is insane to wear a creepy or foolish costume, or whatever term you wish to label such as.

I would like for the Green Goblin's to be a scarier version of the costume from the comics. And, the color purple would be included. It wouldn't be made of rubber, it would be materials like kevlar.

I have not once said I want a realistic story, more plauible maybe, yes, but not realistic or the fake realism that the film makers use to make these movies.

Regardless of what Raimi's Spider-Man movies want you to believe, Peter Parker is not an everyman character. The movies made him come off as an airhead and was boring. But, hey, you all want to be able relate to these characters, so yes, by all means, let's see more of those types of superhero movies.

Uh, Yoda was specifically referring to the comic book version of the character. And seriously, whilst I can only say I’ve read the odd Spiderman comic here, he’s always come across as the everyman character to me. Hell, that’s always been the appeal for me.

Right time for my final thoughts.

Disclaimer: Not really final thoughts, I just like lying.

It bothers me that people write off superhero movies that would be more faithful to the source material than the one's that have already been made.

I didn't say Spider-Man was realistic. That type of talk is coming from the people who makes these movies, especially Nolan.

The Batman movies are trying to take place in a world that doesn't have super villians robbing banks and groups of people coming together to form a crime fighting team, or some guy realising the error of his ways, so in that respect they are realistic.

Fantastic four now that was unrealistic. Though it started being unrealistic when they tried to convince you it was any good.

I didn't say I want a five hour Batman movie, a three hour Batman movie would work just fine.

People were complaining that the dark knight was twenty minutes to long, and that was half an hour less, nobody is going to sit still for a three hour movie in a cinema with a bunch of strangers, titanic being the exception, and I was bored for two thirds of that movie.

And yes, the Batman would be the dominant persona throughout the movies. Not some half-ass version like we got in Nolan's films. He would be driven and not be reckless and not be told what he needs to do in order to better Gotham. He doesn't get everything handed to him. He's obsessive in the sense that it his mission to stop crime on all levels, even street crime and not just a rival who he has personal issues with.

Batman is still young when he is in these movies, he has to learn from his mistakes, it's not very realistic if he can be the best ever right from the start, he has to make mistakes. Underestimating the Joker is one mistake he made in The Dark Knight, but at the end, he realised he could never do that again, and know things are never easy with the Joker.

At the start he wants to stop crime, so he can put his pain to rest and live his life with Rachel, Harvey was the man who could have done that, and when he loses that, then he realises he can never stop being Batman, he must give up ever having a happy life now as he said in the movie "You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. I can do that."

Batman has taken down the street crime in Gotham, but now escalation has set in and now the worlds most dangerous want to prove themselves against him now, and things can and will get worse in Gotham.

There you go with the realism issue regarding the Green Goblin's costume. It would not be unrealistic for someone who is insane to wear a creepy or foolish costume, or whatever term you wish to label such as.

Well, why the hell would he decide to waste his time making a costume out of Kevlar when he works with military sources and can use the best equipment the world has to offer? It wouldn't be unrealistic for someone crazy to wear a crazy costume, but this is his nemesis, not just some random bad guy who can be beat in about two minutes.

I have not once said I want a realistic story, more plauible maybe, yes, but not realistic or the fake realism that the film makers use to make these movies.

You keep trying to tear mine and everyone else points down, yet you still not have answered the question about one superhero movie you liked?

Did you find it plausible that Frank Castle went insane in the Punisher? Cause it was a fun if slightly disappointing movie. But hey, it was plausible.

Didn't Peter have to wash his costume in a laundromat in Spider-man 2? How is that not realistic, because he put his coloured costume in with his whites?

Again, I just want to know what superhero movie you enjoyed, I'm going to keep asking as you seem to try and hide from that question by repeatedly saying you want more plausible story's.

The recent revelation that Sony Pictures is looking to shoot Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5 at the same time didn't reveal whether Kirsten Dunst would rejoin director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire for the films.

Now, Dunst has told MTV that she'll be back as Mary Jane Watson:

"I'm in," said the actress matter of factly. However, when pressed to make the announcement official, Dunst quickly changed her tone, and rather cryptically added, "I'm not saying anything, I know there's rumors..."

The studio is targeting a May 2011 release for the fourth pic.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=7691

So does this mean the Spiderman series is going to continue the theme of having Peter Parker and Mary Jane be the whiniest characters outside realy bad teen movies? Also will this continue the theme of making the villians so sympathetic it is hard not to cheer in on the villian in his quest to kill those two? All Spiderman seems to do is beat up some guy who is down on his luck, or his wife just died, or his life long dream was pissed on, or something with their kid or whatever. Well that and be all whiny and angsty over snaggletooth Dunst.