Marvel's most powerful

Sion

With World War Hulk coming up I have been wondering who is marvel's most powerful individual? I figured for the longest time that the Hulk was the most powerful but after reading the New Avengers the Sentry might give the green goliath a run for his money. I might be wrong in thinking the Hulk is the most powerful but I think in terms of brute strength and durability he is more powerful than guys like Thor and Hyperion who are both gods.

For me it comes down to Hulk, Sentry, Gladiator and Thor.

Hulk is only as strong as he is angry, so his strength fluctuates. Nevertheless, even at his weakest he could still cause major damage.

Sentry isn't stable. Get inside his head and he's useless.

Gladiator's powers are derived from his confidence: if he thinks he can beat you, he can beat you. On the rare occasion when his confidence falters (e.g. Uncanny X-Men #341), he falls.

Thor on the other hand is always a god. His powers are not derived from anger or self-confidence, nor is he a basket case. He's simply the all-powerful God of Thunder.

Namor is strong, but not in the same league as the men I mentioned above. From his bio on Marvel.com:

When not exposed to water, Namor’s physical attributes gradually decline and can diminish over time to near-human levels, robbing him of his strength and rendering him vulnerable to conventional injuries; renewed exposure to water will immediately restore his abilities.

And I thought we were talking about brute strength, hence why I left Black Bolt off the list. According to Wiki:

He can channel his power into single devastating punch called "The Master Blow," which is strong enough to momentarily drive back even a being with the Thing's level of strength. This act, however, leaves Black Bolt exhausted and he must recover afterwards.

I say Thor, Phoenix, and the Silver Surfer.

Thor, like Mike said, is a god of thunder. Simple as that.

Jean Grey, specifically the Phoenix, is one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful mutant ever.

The Silver Surfer has the POWER COSMIC. According to wikipedia

the Power Cosmic is a term from the comic book world of the Marvel Universe, being used to name a presumably immeasurable power which was described as "the most powerful [force] in the universe

If we're talking about anything beyond brute strength, Phoenix, Silver Surfer, Black Bolt and several other heroes should be added to the list. But the original post said:

I might be wrong in thinking the Hulk is the most powerful but I think in terms of brute strength and durability he is more powerful than guys like Thor and Hyperion who are both gods.

So for me this list is all about the strong guys (and girls).

If we're talking about anything beyond brute strength, Phoenix, Silver Surfer, Black Bolt and several other heroes should be added to the list. But the original post said:

I might be wrong in thinking the Hulk is the most powerful but I think in terms of brute strength and durability he is more powerful than guys like Thor and Hyperion who are both gods.

So for me this list is all about the strong guys (and girls).

What I should have posted was who is the most powerful individual. This could be in terms of strength(Hulk), magic(Dr. Strange), inability to die(Wolverine), or just super power(Silver Surfer).

If this is overall powerfulness, Nick Fury is up there.

:huh:

Wanda Freakin' Maximoff. She can change reality on a global scale.

Doctor Strange trumps Wanda in terms of magical power, he simply chooses not to alter reality as she did.

I couldn't say Phoenix just because she's been defeated and/or killed so many times.

Jean died, not Phoenix. That's the catch. Phoenix is a force. It will find another host and consume worlds again.

List of people not considered but probably should be as they're all more powerful than Thor:

Onslaught

Apocalypse

Thanos

Galactus

Proteus

The answer is either Galactus or Proteus. I believe Galactus is the current canonical answer, which is probably true as Proteus is fairly minor despite his relatives. Both can exist in pure energy states and therefore cannot be destroyed.

There's also the whole Beyonder mess.

Anyway, it's kind of silly to debate this in this setting. You can talk potential all you want but it doesn't mean a damned thing. Wanda Maximoff has a much higher power potential than Wolverine but she lacks control over her abilities and to a certain extent, ambition. Logan on the other hand, has used the adamantium and his possible centuries of experience to become an immensely capable warrior, although on the surface a healing factor and heightened senses don't seem like much.

If this is overall powerfulness, Nick Fury is up there.

:huh:

He's powerful like Batman or Lex Luthor are powerful. All his secret plans and massive influence mean he is capable of having a bigger effect on the Marvel U at large than most others are. People who could destroy the universe in comics are ten a penny. People who can control, outwit and still influence governments and nations are rare.

But controlling and influencing a nation is nothing when there are those who can obliterate that nation with a look.

But then all thats left is smouldering nothingness. Dr Doom will tell you thats not real power. Power is in controlling people. Vandal Savage killed everyone and totally regretted it later.

Theres a more interesting way to look at this- instead of judging power on who can eat bigger chunks of a supposed actual marvel universe why not ask who has the ability to affect the most change in the Marvel Universe as we percieve it. The planet-busters will never really succeed but men like Tony Stark as we've seen can create real change in what we see.

Adam Warlock said something to that effect after he obtained the Infinity Gauntlet in the whole "Infinity Gauntlet" saga. When Warlock took the gauntlet, he said something like, "You'd only lose it again, Titan. You don't really want it."

My memory is failing me at the moment.

With that in mind, why settle on one planet when you could rule them all? Is there anyone in the Marvel Universe with enough power and cunning to accomplish such a feat?

Kang then. He's ruled huge stretches of the universe for long periods of history and the future.

• 1 month later...

You are all getting off topic again, Yoda keeps bringing up that the topic was about strength. When "most Powerful" is said i think you all think of sheer power as in ability, but we're just talkin' muscle here, which i think the guy was right in thinking the Hulk, yes he can come and go with strength because of his anger but if he's in a fight...he'll fly off the andle for stubbing his toe, and that will only boost his strength.

and

am i mistaken in saying, wasn't the Hulk taken over by the venom symbiote, put them together and man have you got a powerhouse