Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it's because I recently got into Red Letter Media's stuff and both in film criticism and laughs, they're far superior. Anyone who doesn't watch their stuff or has only seen the Plinkett reviews, check out Half in the Bag or Best of the Worst. The shows are extremely well made for being internet shows. Not only that but the guys themselves understand film incredibly well and are actually film makers themselves. Also I find their dry humor irresistible.

Unlike NC they dont film everything infront of a shitty green screen, they actually have real sets! Despite the fact that Doug's website is much more popular that redlettermedia's, somehow NC reviews seem much more amateurish and crude with every shot looking like he got a shitty image from google, blew it up, and pasted onto the screen behind him. Doug's childlike antics were only funny for so long. Now, to me at least, he just making a fool of himself.

RLM can be grating at times (Stoklasa's mugging can overwhelm the proceedings very quickly), but by and large I'm a huge fan of theirs. They have a lot to say and can generally back it up with viable film theory and valid criticism, whereas NC has always struck me as more of a "this sucks/this is awesome" guy who doesn't have a lot more to add. Doug's videos can be genuinely amusing at times, and a handful of the other people on his site do a good job as well (I like Lindsey Ellis a lot too), but he's spread incredibly thin.

There is, to my mind, a difference between a critic and a reviewer. Mike Stoklasa is a critic; Doug Walker is a reviewer. A lot of reviewers are fun, and a lot of critics are dull; one is not necessarily better than the other. But TGWTG.com really seems at times to be a huge party for Walker and his friends, whereas RLM goes out of its way to not overdo it.

By and large Lindsay Ellis is my favorite critic on the TGWTG site. I had always brushed her off as a cheep rip-off of NC but when Doug was starting to bore me I decided to check her reviews out and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed them more. Still, RedLetterMedia is the way to go.

I like Nostalgia chick too but I don't feel the need to watch everyone she does. There's that big series of 50 shades stuff recently that I haven't touched at all.

I'll watch Linkara depending on the comic but unlike with RLM his storyline stuff is completely embarrassing and I skip it completely.

At the end of the day it's not much different from watching Siskel & Ebert. The only difference is anyone with a webcam can do it now (much like anyone with a blog can write reviews), so it takes a lot of work to find someone with an interesting voice or a new way of coming at the material.

It's odd, but I'm taking a perverse pleasure in how ramshackle the end of year exhibition is for my former course at Uni. I'll go visit obviously, and I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff, but it won't be a patch on my year. /smug

It's also the only place where my frank admission of unemployment sounds like it's the fault of the person I'm talking to, if that person is a tutor.