Randomness

Missy

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thursday or Friday I'm watching Roseanne in the morning and it's the last season, in particular that really weird batch towards the beginning where little to nothing made sense. I end up taking about it on Twitter. Out of the blue today, Michael Fishman who played DJ on it responds to some of my texts. I'm honestly kinda floored.

Second interview today. No idea how it went, much tougher than the first, although I think I accentuated my positives. However it turns out it's cool to be asked questions like "who is your favourite filmmaker" and be able to prove your bona fides by talking about the positives and negatives of Hayao Miyazaki vs Christopher Nolan.

Yeah, the initial release was unclear, but now they said he's getting his money and going the fuck away.

Dragon Con still has issues to deal with (their track record regarding the safety of female attendees is getting better but still needs serious addressing) but this is a huge step forward.

Fuck him. The guy writes one semi-passable young adult book and suddenly thinks he's earned the ability to be a karma chameleon? Nope, sorry, ain't gonna happen. I can ignore the ignorance of a creator but it takes them having done something truly inspired or interesting. I hope the movie bombs.

The depth of his utter fucknuttery has only been made clear in the past few years. I try to separate the artist from the work whenever possible (especially seeing as his book is number one on BWP's list), but this man is truly odious and clearly insane. His remarks go beyond rhetoric into truly hysterical territory, and it seems clear that something happened at some point that severely fucked him up.

However, the request that we be "tolerant" of his idiocy absolutely floors me. That's gall.

So, I wanna be clear about this since people tend to have their knives out for everything I say on this board. I'm reasonably libertarian, which means I'm 90% socially liberal. I do not at all agree with Orson Scott Card and/or his views or sociopolitical actions.

I hate the entire modern use of the word tolerance. Hardly anyone knows what it actually means anymore, and practically no one uses it correctly whether they know what it means or not.

Should we be tolerant of others' opinions and ideas that we deem immoral? No. One of my favorite quotes on tolerance is by G.K. Chesterton: "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." No one who has ever taken forward action in society has ever been deemed "tolerant" of the status quo.

Should we be tolerant of people and give them respect as human beings? Yes.

Generally it seems like the people who scream "TOLERANCE!" the loudest also have a lot of hate towards whoever they're standing against. I realize it's hard to separate it out, but when you can say "I want Person X to die a fiery, painful death" and mean it, something's wrong. One day you will be on the wrong side of a moral conflict without realizing it, and then your hate won't do you any good.

No one needs to be tolerant of Card or anyone else's views, but we do need to be tolerant of him as a person. Whether you think his views and what he's created are too intertwined is up to you. Personally, I never cared about Card's homophobia in the context of his work so long as I didn't see it actually bleed over. And really, how many movies do we watch starring actors who are terrible people, made by directors who are terrible people, and otherwise employing terrible people? Art is art and you don't need to agree with the artist or what he has to say. But like I said, up to you. If you don't want to monetarily support someone like Card, that's fine.

But actually addressing the article, it looks like what Card actually said was "don't bash the movie because it's based on a book I wrote." Which, like I said, is probably fair, especially considering it's an adaptation of the book and not even the book itself.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just based off of Ender's Game. The problem come that he's also a producer and getting a cut of the profits. I'm not giving money to a man who will turn around and donate it to a cause that is diametrically opposed to who I am as a person. I prefer Acceptance to Tolerance but then I realize that you gotta go for the small victories where you can get them sometimes.

More interview drama- My Amazon recruiter set up 2 hours in the IMDB offices and two back to back further phone interviews with managers in Seattle, all taking place tomorrow during the day and evening (that's around 3 1/2 hours with four dept heads and managers). Now they wouldn't spend this kind of time on me if I wasn't in serious contention for the job. Downside is that they just cancelled all that and moved it back two weeks so that all their managers can meet me in person. I have NO idea if that's good or bad. Bad that they kicked it down the road like that or maybe good, because they want to actually meet me. No idea.

Just no idea.

I'm not even interviewing against other people, the job is still open for applications! Did I get through and others didn't? So bemused right now.

And the funny sidenote to this entire thing is that Lionsgate finally noticed the public outrage and has decided to announce that they're holding a Benefit Premiere of the film to support the LGBT community. This is the kind of turn of events that I love seeing. Bring it on.

Yeah, the word was out that "maybe we don't put Card in front of any microphones". However, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger every time he opens his damn mouth, and they had to do something. Good. Fuck him, but more importantly, good on them for doing the right thing.