Episode 29

RSS

As always, James and Mike discuss five episodes this week ("Prototype," "The Late Mr. Kent" and "Heavy Metal" from Superman: The Animated Series, and "Double Talk" and "You Scratch My Back" from Gotham Knights), but one of them is so bad it's described as being "Superman's 'Terrible Trio.'" Thankfully two of the other episodes are masterpieces. [ 2:36:25 || 71.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_029.mp3

As always, James and Mike discuss five episodes this week ("Prototype," "The Late Mr. Kent" and "Heavy Metal" from Superman: The Animated Series, and "Double Talk" and "You Scratch My Back" from Gotham Knights), but one of them is so bad it's described as being "Superman's 'Terrible Trio.'" Thankfully two of the other episodes are masterpieces. [ 2:36:25 || 71.6 MB ]

Before I start my usual reviews on todays episodes, I will first respond to a few things.

Bruce Timm and Co have stated on the DVD's that all the DCAU Characters' powers were dummed down, just like Superman's powers were(with the exception of Batman, Green Arrow and characters like them). So they most likely did that on purpose to give the audiences a sense of fear for The Flash's life(especially after Question makes the possibilty of The Flash being killed a possibility).

I myself have a hard time growing up, many have noticed my He-Man, Thundercats collections on DVD. Nothing wrong with it, I did enjoy Powerpuff Girls at times and watched Pokemon when it first came out(before the school banning craziness). Do you watch Krypto: The Superdog on Cartoon Network or the 2002 revamp of He-Man?

Also, I saw Magic, it's been airing for quite a while on Monsters HD and while its a decent film, I wouldn't consider it a classic. Hopkins is great in the role and you feel very sympathetic for his character, but the film is slow paced at times. But still a good watch, hope you enjoy it Mike.

{Superman: The Animated Series}

Pototype

Very much a filler episode, like you said in the episode rundown, it's a foreshadowing of another episode. I wouldn't say its the worse episode of the series(in my opinion "Unity" is Superman: TAS Terrible Trio). I never had a bad opinion of this episode, I just feel its a time passer, an episode to watch when there is nothing else to watch. A lot of the lines in the episode are cliche, from the moment John Henry Irons is ranting to Luthor about the bugs in the suit. My big question is "Why would anyone make a battle suit hooked up to your Nervous System?" Another question is how did Mills get into the lockup to get the Battle Suit without anyone hearing him(at least until he breaks it out)? The part of the episode I liked was simply the beginning when Superman and Mills have to work together to help the people trapped on the roof. Like I said above, "Unity" is the worse episode of this entire series. I would give this 2 out of 10. Before I get to the next episode, what James is talking about with Dr. Death is the episode where Superman crushes Jimmy to death :laugh:

{Gotham Knights}

Double Talk

Not really the best episode featuring The Ventriloquest/Scarface, the animation for the new model of Wesker and Scarface is not my favorite I prefer the Batman: The Animated Series look of this character. The music is a bit corny and makes me cazy to hear it, lol. The Rhino character always seems to get bigger and dumber in every episode he's featured in(good thing this is the last episode). I can see how the Scarface dummy can be in the phone booth, but how does he end up on the couch? Still the episode like the last one is a good enough episode to pass the time, definitely bot a dud. 6 out of 10

The Late Mr. Kent

I enjoy this episode very much, the animation is good and the storyline is well written. It's a nice change from what we have seen in the series, as it is a POV story from Superman mind as he tells the story and finds out the clues himself(thereby we find it along with him). There's not much to say about this episode, except the ending was great with Bowman's shock face when he realizes that Clark is Superman(its also very adult to show someone being put in the gas chamber)its great. 8 out of 10.

{Gotham Knights}

You Scratch My Back

Finally a Nightwing episode, uggh its a Catwoman episode. That's how I feel about this episode, half good, half not wanting to watch. I do like how it shows how much he has managed to become his own person, seperate from Batman and from his Robin days. It also shows that how well he has learned from Batman, knowing when to trust and when to play Possum. But Catwoman in this episode kills it for me. I hate her new look, I do agree that it's more of a Cat Burglar-ish type outfit, but I just don't like it. Othat than that gripe, its a decent episode, one I can watch more than once. 5 out of 10.

Heavy Metal

Now I don't know why this episode wasn't shown after "Prototype" it's a direct follow-up to that episode. A much better follow-up, but a follw-up. Here we not only get the premiere episode of Steel, but the return of Metallo. Yes on both fronts, pretty good episode. I especially like the beginning animation when he's forging the Steel Mask. My only big gripe is that its explained that Intergang helped Metallo get new skin(since in the last episode he was complete Metal), but why did Intergang not finish the job? They only fixed his skin until he looked when he first ripped his skin off. I still enjoyed the episodes, even with the gripes. 7 out of 10

Hi guys

Tinyurl.com on the links man. ;)

What...?

I think he's advertising a site.

No, I screwed up, I had clicked on a older episode I hadn't listened to and they rattled off this long url and I'm lazy lol. I'm playing catch up over here lol.

Finally the latest WFP.

Pre-Episode Banter

Mike, you have to pick up Smash. It's the best game on Wii now.

E-Mails

I agree about the Flash. JL had a tough time nailing the powers very well, but Flash improved a lot during the end of JL and all throughout JLU. I don't think they showed that Flash was a forensic scientist in 'Eclipsed', but they did show him to be pretty intelligent there. The episodes I think that they nailed him in are 'Only A Dream', 'A Better World', 'Flash and Substance', and 'Divided We Fall'. I like that he's comic relief, but sometimes I felt that he came across as just lame.

That was an excellent point about Superman's identity right there. Excellent. As for the rest, it made no sense to me, but I found it very interesting. Everything about 'Cold Comfort' was great too. I agree with all of what he said about creepy moments too.

Awesome for the guy who got introduced to the entire DCAU by WFP.

Episodes

Prototype- I don't like it at all. The final fight is pretty good for a Dong Yang animated episode and I like the Steel foreshadowing, but the episode as a whole was not very good at all. It was a tired and predictable story that brought nothing new to the table and the animation is very choppy.

Wow, you guys really hate this one. I believe I'll thoroughly enjoy this.

James, that was the best impression of a generic villain that I've ever heard.

Excellent description for Mills, Venom and Iron Man.

But actually guys, there's an even worse episode to come later in the series: 'Superman's Pal'. The animation is worse and the story follows suit. Don't be surprised if you have to change your rankings around.

Double Talk- I rather enjoy this episode. It's one of the few TNBA episodes to focus on psychology and isn't very action-oriented. I really love the visual sequences and the change of music is refreshing. The ending is oddly uplifting. Very solid episode.

Oh yeah, Mike. Lucius in this episode is a different voice. His voice was originally done by Brock Peters, but in TNBA it was done by Mel Winkler.

I would disagree in regard to Freeze needing a conclusion and Two-Face not needing one. Two-Face really deserved some closure.

And yeah, I'm glad y'all picked up on the Lois and Clark appearance.

The Late Mr. Kent- Easily one of the greatest episodes of the entire DCAU. Few can top it. It's truly a landmark of S:TAS. For me, it's only behind 'Apokalips...Now!' pt 2. But honestly, sharp story-telling, one of the few real character-driven episodes, solid TMS animation. It's not a simple good guy vs bad guy episode; it's compelling and not straightforward. And of course the ending is one of the most shocking and most perfect endings in the entirety of all animated television shows. This episode is simply incredible. An easy 10 for me.

Your gripe is a valid one and I never thought of that before. I hope that it doesn't hurt the episode's review though. I do like Mike's explanation though. I agree with Mike though that her phone conversation is great. I do disagree, however, that the chopper fight was too much. It was exciting and it built suspense as we're waiting for Superman to nail Bowman and, as James said, the animation is stunning.

But all is well now that you are gushing all over the episode. Agreed about absolutely everything from this point on.

The 'Fans Nix New Duds' catch is excellent. Out of all the many times I have seen this episode, I have never noticed that before.

You Scratch My Back- I really like it. It's our first real introduction to Nightwing. The story, while not deep or anything, is fun and fast-paced. And I love the animation. I'm so glad that Dong Yang was able to reach TMS quality animation with this episode. And I actually like the new Catwoman design. I know.

Mike, you've already got me laughing. I hope you keep it up.

Okay, my two cents on the Catwoman design. First of all, yes, the new Selina design is a million times better. The old design was abysmal. As for the Catwoman design, the white doesn't detract from it at all. It makes her more cat-like without any flesh color, and it's much more sleek than the original, which was far too detailed.

No! That episode was 'House and Garden', not 'Batgirl Returns'.

I definitely agree about the Nightwing theme. It's even better given that the fight scene accompanying the music is perfect.

James, you make an excellent point about Dick's and Barbara's argument. Great point.

Heavy Metal- I don't like it. The writing is horrible and the fight scenes just dragged and dragged and dragged. I love Steel and the design, but why did he have to appear in such a bad episode. And Metallo's resurrection killed what was concluded in 'Action Figures'. Why did he come back with the skin perfectly grafted on like it was before? Ugh.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm in agreement with you guys here.

Mike, you're absolutely right about his skin. There is no reason that his skin should be repaired in exactly the same way that he ripped it off.

Scores

Prototype: You- 1 and 2 / Me- 4

Double Talk: You- 8 / Me- 8.5

The Late Mr. Kent: You- 9 and 10 / Me- 10

You Scratch My Back: You- 6.5 and 7 / Me- 7

Heavy Metal: You- 5 and 6 / Me- 4

WFP in two weeks is going to be LEGENDARY. 'Never Fear', 'Apokalips...Now!', and 'Growing Pains', all on the same episode? I can't wait.

Before I start my usual reviews on todays episodes, I will first respond to a few things.

Bruce Timm and Co have stated on the DVD's that all the DCAU Characters' powers were dummed down, just like Superman's powers were(with the exception of Batman, Green Arrow and characters like them). So they most likely did that on purpose to give the audiences a sense of fear for The Flash's life(especially after Question makes the possibilty of The Flash being killed a possibility).

I myself have a hard time growing up, many have noticed my He-Man, Thundercats collections on DVD. Nothing wrong with it, I did enjoy Powerpuff Girls at times and watched Pokemon when it first came out(before the school banning craziness). Do you watch Krypto: The Superdog on Cartoon Network or the 2002 revamp of He-Man?

Also, I saw Magic, it's been airing for quite a while on Monsters HD and while its a decent film, I wouldn't consider it a classic. Hopkins is great in the role and you feel very sympathetic for his character, but the film is slow paced at times. But still a good watch, hope you enjoy it Mike.

Pototype

Very much a filler episode, like you said in the episode rundown, it's a foreshadowing of another episode. I wouldn't say its the worse episode of the series(in my opinion "Unity" is Superman: TAS Terrible Trio). I never had a bad opinion of this episode, I just feel its a time passer, an episode to watch when there is nothing else to watch. A lot of the lines in the episode are cliche, from the moment John Henry Irons is ranting to Luthor about the bugs in the suit. My big question is "Why would anyone make a battle suit hooked up to your Nervous System?" Another question is how did Mills get into the lockup to get the Battle Suit without anyone hearing him(at least until he breaks it out)? The part of the episode I liked was simply the beginning when Superman and Mills have to work together to help the people trapped on the roof. Like I said above, "Unity" is the worse episode of this entire series. I would give this 2 out of 10. Before I get to the next episode, what James is talking about with Dr. Death is the episode where Superman crushes Jimmy to death :laugh:

{Gotham Knights}

Double Talk

Not really the best episode featuring The Ventriloquest/Scarface, the animation for the new model of Wesker and Scarface is not my favorite I prefer the Batman: The Animated Series look of this character. The music is a bit corny and makes me cazy to hear it, lol. The Rhino character always seems to get bigger and dumber in every episode he's featured in(good thing this is the last episode). I can see how the Scarface dummy can be in the phone booth, but how does he end up on the couch? Still the episode like the last one is a good enough episode to pass the time, definitely bot a dud. 6 out of 10

The Late Mr. Kent

I enjoy this episode very much, the animation is good and the storyline is well written. It's a nice change from what we have seen in the series, as it is a POV story from Superman mind as he tells the story and finds out the clues himself(thereby we find it along with him). There's not much to say about this episode, except the ending was great with Bowman's shock face when he realizes that Clark is Superman(its also very adult to show someone being put in the gas chamber)its great. 8 out of 10.

{Gotham Knights}

You Scratch My Back

Finally a Nightwing episode, uggh its a Catwoman episode. That's how I feel about this episode, half good, half not wanting to watch. I do like how it shows how much he has managed to become his own person, seperate from Batman and from his Robin days. It also shows that how well he has learned from Batman, knowing when to trust and when to play Possum. But Catwoman in this episode kills it for me. I hate her new look, I do agree that it's more of a Cat Burglar-ish type outfit, but I just don't like it. Othat than that gripe, its a decent episode, one I can watch more than once. 5 out of 10.

Heavy Metal

Now I don't know why this episode wasn't shown after "Prototype" it's a direct follow-up to that episode. A much better follow-up, but a follw-up. Here we not only get the premiere episode of Steel, but the return of Metallo. Yes on both fronts, pretty good episode. I especially like the beginning animation when he's forging the Steel Mask. My only big gripe is that its explained that Intergang helped Metallo get new skin(since in the last episode he was complete Metal), but why did Intergang not finish the job? They only fixed his skin until he looked when he first ripped his skin off. I still enjoyed the episodes, even with the gripes. 7 out of 10

First off annericelover, in your review for Double Talk, you ask how does the puppet end up on the couch, hmm, maybe his goons planted it their?

And secondly, you say that Catwoman's outfit is "a Cat Burglar-ish type outfit", you don't like it, that's what her character is.

Her new look is nothing more then an homage to the Michelle Pfeiffer verison from Batman Returns.

First off annericelover, in your review for Double Talk, you ask how does the puppet end up on the couch, hmm, maybe his goons planted it their?

What he means is, it wasn't there before Arnold sat down.

My best guess is that the puppet wasn't really there; Arnold simply imagined it.

What he means is, it wasn't there before Arnold sat down.

My best guess is that the puppet wasn't really there; Arnold simply imagined it.

Thanks, that is what I meant. But your guess makes a lot of sense, because we did see a few seconds later that Arnold was pushed back into insanity, so that was most likely a sign that he had snapped.

• 2 weeks later...
...Oh yeah, Mike. Lucius in this episode is a different voice. His voice was originally done by Brock Peters, but in TNBA it was done by Mel Winkler....

No offense, Mxy, I just wanted to add something to this one point, so I didn't copy your whole post. Mike had commented that the original Lucius (Brock Peters) had a more resonant voice - the other media I own with Brock Peters as a voice actor is the NPR full cast dramatizations of Episodes IV-VI of Star Wars, where Mr. Peters viced Darth Vader. No wonder he's got a deep bottom to his voice.

Chris