Iron Man 2

Jon Favreau might not be back to make Iron Man 2. The reason?

Marvel is being cheap.

About a week ago, the IESB was tipped off by a junior source at Marvel Studios that there had been some delays with Jon's negotiations regarding the sequel. When asked why I was told that Marvel and Favreau hadn't been able to come to terms regarding money.

At first I thought my source was full of shit and I dismissed it as a rumor. This last Friday I was contacted by another source at Marvel and this one, let's just say, is much higher up on the food chain, and told me that the chairman of Marvel Studios David Maisel who has been in charge of negotiating new terms with Favreau is being cheap and not willing to pay a fair directors' fee.

Favreau was a bargain to begin with, he is after all a fairly new director even though he has had several commercially successful films under his belt when he was brought aboard Iron Man for a steal.

Don't know exact numbers but I am sure that it wasn’t a Michael Bay/Brett Ratner/Bryan Singer paycheck. He had to prove himself after all and looking at what the box office and DVD sales are going to bring in, around $750-800 million, I'd say he did his job well, very well.

So according to our source at Marvel, Jon was expecting a moderate bump in his fee for the sequel but apparently Marvel has other plans.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_c...2&Itemid=99

Aintitcoolnews backed up the story:

There is a very very strong chance that unless David Maisel pulls his head out of his ass and work on this deal - you'll see Jon Favreau directing anything but an IRON MAN 2 or an AVENGERS movie.

Basically what it comes down to is they hired Favreau cheap because he wasn't a big name director. Now that the first movie made a ton of money Favreau feels he deserves more money. David Maisel thinks otherwise.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh christ, just accept that a big reason why the first film was good and therefore made money was Jon Favreau. Marvel made a huge amount of the first, if they play it right they could make even more off the second and they shouldn't risk it all by messing with the formula.

If this is true, Marvel Studios would really be shooting themselves in the foot. I have a feeling that Downey would have some strong opinions on this though, given how closely he & Favreau worked together in pre-production, and the producers/studio are going to be less keen to dispense with him.

If this is true, Marvel Studios would really be shooting themselves in the foot. I have a feeling that Downey would have some strong opinions on this though, given how closely he & Favreau worked together in pre-production, and the producers/studio are going to be less keen to dispense with him.

Agreed. If Downey says "Favreau or I walk" Favreau will direct.

I wouldn't worry at this point.

• 9 months later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I follow Jon Favreau on twitter and he has shown several of the Iron Man stuff he has in his house as well as I'm sure he'll be showing some pics of the shooting. I'm a bit skeptical about the sequel at this point though. It might be a wait for DVD thing for me, but we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...
Kate Mara and Clark Gregg have joined Marvel Studios' Iron Man 2, being directed by Jon Favreau and currently shooting in Manhattan Beach, California.

Mara's role is being kept under wraps, while Gregg is returning as Agent Phil Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The duo joins a cast that includes Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Jon Favreau, Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Garry Shandling and John Slattery.

Paramount will release the sequel in theaters on May 7, 2010.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=54770

That new armor is awesome.

I'm not convinced that the lycra from the waist down is going to offer the same sort of protection as the old one.

You just know that the trailers for this film are going to use Kiss's War Machine just like the original used Black Sabbath's Iron Man.

The heart part is a little bit further out, so I see what you meant about that.

Still looking forward to this, even though it's still how long away one, two years?

Its about a year away, which means the the first teaser trailer should be out by now really. If there is one thing I could do without its the overlong promotion of these big films. Star Trek, Watchmen, Dark Knight, they were showing significant footage well in advance and its just like torturing the fanbase. Here's hoping for a mere three month run-up.

I'm not convinced that the lycra from the waist down is going to offer the same sort of protection as the old one.

Tony was just having a few drinks and next thing you know, he's not wearing crotch and leg armor. We've all been there right?

Look, Comic-Con went really well, alright? I'd been very good, I was celebrating, everyone was doing it, we thought we could make it to Tijuana, they dropped the charges, so just shut up, okay?!