What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm around half-way through Battlestar Galactica: The Plan. So far it is rather neat, though the rather random topless scenes (very reminiscent of Starship Troops IMO) are a bit off putting for me. That was actually why I had to stop it for the time being, my sister was walking in and out of the main TV room and I didn't feel comfortable letting her see that.

:good:

I'm watching Wes Craven's Swamp Thing: The guy who does the music is Harry Manfredini who also did the F13th Music, and you can really tell, it sounds very similar. The love story came about five minutes in and out of bloody nowhere "He's your brother....not husband...I'm getting on them bones" is how it went.

The editor went to the George Lucas school for transitions. They just did an explosion transition. Which is both cheesy as all hell, yet awesome at the same time.

46 minutes in, with more thoughts to come.

Swamp Things suit is like a Jason boiler suit, with a new mask and gloves.

The bad guys reveal at the start is so....stupid and he is never more than just bloody dull.

The baddie is having a dinner party, and invited Adrienne Barbeau.....but made sure she was tied up. Somehow, I think that's both odd, and yet awesome. Like the transitions, I just can't hate it.

Guy got poisoned and to cover how he changes cheaply, the cut to reactions with each change, before he goes under the table to become a full monster. Alright...

And now the bad guy is turning into a puppet. And Swamp Thing is growing a limb back. Fuck me is this film odd.

And underneath that costume, the villain was wearing a bull mask.

Pig man only now knows how to get out of the cell he was put in, and the way out. Ok, this movie is balls.

Now the final fight is the weirdest thing I've seen this year.

Well, that was crap.

Edited by SuaveStar

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Mystified by the presence of an elected royal who rules over thousands of systems who is called a Duchess but referred to by the honorific "My Lady". It's "Your Grace" you fools.

Seriously, there's like 6 incongruities in that rulership system right there.

Oh, and she has classic sexual tension with Obi-wan as well, which a- removes the idea that Anakin was some sort of anomaly within the order and b- invalidates the basis on which that celibacy rule was applied, that well trained ordinary Jedi's could do without.

Fuck the prequel Jedi Order, it's a total mess. Are they soldiers? Police? Priests? Diplomats? An arm of the government or a sovereign body? None of it makes the slightest bit of sense.

And now Padme has introduced a bill to prevent the creation of more clone troopers on the grounds that more troops will prolong the fighting.

WHAT? She's planning on cutting military spending as a way to end a war? The only way this works is if you want your side to lose.

Which she should, because all the separatists want is to break away from the Republic, so I'm not really clear on why there is a war in the first place. It's literally just because one side is apparently evil and the other is apparently good.

I know this is a Star Wars cartoon and thus I should be expecting complex political awareness, but then I wasn't the one who set half the damn show in the Senate building.

I know this is a Star Wars cartoon and thus I should be expecting complex political awareness, but then I wasn't the one who set half the damn show in the Senate building.

Yeah, all the political crap made the fans VERY mad. I myself nearly quit watching the show after the episode-before-last, "Pursuit of Peace." But this last episode, "Nightsisters," was so incredibly good that I'm willing to let the past be the past.

Yeah, all the political crap made the fans VERY mad. I myself nearly quit watching the show after the episode-before-last, "Pursuit of Peace." But this last episode, "Nightsisters," was so incredibly good that I'm willing to let the past be the past.

I don't mind politics, but it never EVER makes a lick of sense in the Star Wars Universe. They just use it as a setting and plot point with little regard for how or even whether it would actually work.

Also this Young Boba plot at the end of season 2 is skeeving me out. Am I supposed to be on the side of the Jedi in this, the ones who create and indoctrinate entire generations of people in order to make them into cannon fodder? The rhetoric they feed the young troopers is Hitler-youth worthy! They're just creating an extremist slave race. I'm way more on the side of Boba, the brave kid who is trying to avenge the brutal murder of his father.

I'm totally on the side of the Seperatists, at least they're only letting droids do their fighting for them.

Oh, and a Jedi just said "We ARE Justice". They're complete monsters.

I'd say that since Palpatine is controlling both sides of the war, neither side is morally correct. I still think the Republic is "less wrong," however. The clones may be cannon fodder, but they're not merely slaves; they were specifically grown to be the kind of individuals that would choose to be soldiers of their own free will. They're not technically mind-controlled until Order 66.

The Jedi are a little high-and-mighty, but their only real crime is their inability to see beyond their own hard-set isolationist/meditative doctrine, which had settled into stagnation because of the last thousand years of relative galactic peace. In the end, of course, they paid the price for their lack of vision.

I think Boba was given a decent amount of character depth in that 3-part finale. He's realizing that while he still has issues with the Jedi who (rightfully) killed his dad, he doesn't want to be a mass-murderer, guilty of directly murdering his own brethren and other innocents. It sort of makes you wonder what further horrors he endured in order to become the cold, deadly bounty hunter from The Empire Strikes Back.

I'd say that since Palpatine is controlling both sides of the war, neither side is morally correct. I still think the Republic is "less wrong," however. The clones may be cannon fodder, but they're not merely slaves; they were specifically grown to be the kind of individuals that would choose to be soldiers of their own free will. They're not technically mind-controlled until Order 66.

They aren't mind controlled by order 66, it's just another order they are trained to follow. They're just so indoctrinated that they have no morals left and can only follow instructions. Order 66 isn't a post-hypnotic suggestion, it's a article in a list of 150 orders they are trained to obey in times of crisis.

They don't have a choice in whether or not they become soldiers, they're raised from birth to fulfil that need with never an alternative presented to them. They're a commodity, sold by the Kaminoans to the Republic. If one objected he'd be labelled as defective, taken out back and shot long before he had the chance to be handed over to the potentially more compassionate Jedi. They don't even have the choice of their own meals, let alone what to do with their lives, and just because they're raised to believe that's the way it is it doesn't make it right in any way shape or form. They are slaves. They're African child soldiers repackaged so they can be sold as toys.

If the Jedi really gave a shit about the sanctity of sentient life they would insist on leading droid armies and have nothing to do with the clones.

They aren't mind controlled by order 66, it's just another order they are trained to follow. They're just so indoctrinated that they have no morals left and can only follow instructions. Order 66 isn't a post-hypnotic suggestion, it's a article in a list of 150 orders they are trained to obey in times of crisis.

I used to believe that, too, but a recent comment from Lucas said that Order 66 is actually a mental command secretly programmed in their brains. The clones actually were friends of the Jedi until the order came down; after that they immediately switched.

I'd like to see if they go more in-depth with that in the series.

My theory on why the Jedi don't mind the use of clones is that they're in a similar situation themselves. All Jedi are indoctrinated from toddler-hood to be monks. If and when they choose to leave the order (which happens so rarely that it's an almost negligible factor), their lightsaber is taken away and they're either shipped off to the Agricultural Corps to help grow plants or they're just tossed aside like worthless rabble.

The Jedi are in a life of total servitude to the Republic, and that's all they know. They probably think it's a good thing that the clones are also raised in such a manner.

"Recent comment from Lucas" just means he made it up on the spot, like he does all this crap that contravenes the extended universe that much more talented writers have had to tie in knots to accommodate him. There's nothing in an actual film, TV show or book to support that idea (yet).

The way the Jedi are raised is why the Jedi are singularly unsuitable to dictate how anyone else lives their lives, because they've never had the choice either. At least the Sith offer a choice, you can see why Count Dooku went with that option. It's pro-active and big picture.

On a fundamental level, the empire is more democratic than the republic ever was because at least people had some degree of self determination. People could actually choose to be Stormstroopers as they phased out the clones, by the time of the rebellion the vast majority were enlisted men.

The way the Jedi are raised is why the Jedi are singularly unsuitable to dictate how anyone else lives their lives, because they've never had the choice either.

And they aren't technically the ones in control of the war; they're just the generals. Palpatine is the one who's actually the commander-in-chief.

On a fundamental level, the empire is more democratic than the republic ever was because at least people had some degree of self determination. People could actually choose to be Stormstroopers as they phased out the clones, by the time of the rebellion the vast majority were enlisted men.

Actually, a lot of Troopers were conscripts as well, and they were brainwashed so badly that they couldn't even remember their own family after only a few years. The majority of them were volunteers, true, but that was more because they didn't need to be mentally-controlled.

The Empire also completely did away with the Senate, granting complete control of the Galaxy to regional governors, who presumably weren't elected by the public.

The Empire also completely did away with the Senate, granting complete control of the Galaxy to regional governors, who presumably weren't elected by the public.

The Imperial Senate lasted 19 years before being placed on hiatus following the discovery that multiple senior Senators were actually the leaders of the Rebel Alliance. It was replaced by the Moffs, who could actually be trusted. Regardless of how you feel about Palpatine's policies, you have to admit that's a reasonable step when you find a big chunk of your government is plotting against you.

The Imperial Senate lasted 19 years before being placed on hiatus following the discovery that multiple senior Senators were actually the leaders of the Rebel Alliance. It was replaced by the Moffs, who could actually be trusted.

How many senators were actually plotting against the Empire? A few dozen? Out of thousands of systems, each with as many as two senators? That's hardly reason to completely eliminate all democracy in the government.

The Moffs could be trusted by Palpatine, but they were stone-cold bastards who would murder non-violent protesters. (and blow up heavily populated, highly important, and peaceful planets, just to make a point)

DW:

Yeah, that'd be cool. Sometimes I wish I knew or cared about Street Fighter, so I could do the same.