Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took a minute (or two days) to catch up on things.  I really hope that the AEW vs. WWE thing is kept to television.  Both running shows on the same day is rough.

So, All Out.  It was a good show with some really good wrestling.  But they have issues.  That main event was not good.  I may be on an island, but I have not enjoyed Jericho post-WWE.  I get that having him is good for the company, but I don't think he should be the headline act.  Speaking of not enjoying a post-WWE run: Cody.  He is fine.  The crowd loves him and I cannot deny that.  But all of his AEW matches have been so 'old school' that I cannot enjoy them.  So many cheap shortcuts are taken.  It worked then, and maybe judging by the crowd, it still does.  But I'm out.

And they need to sort out their camera work/production.  Singles matches were fine.  Anything with more than two people: So many missed spots.  And having a ladder block the hard camera for most of that match is just poor planning.  Will give then credit for better commentary.  JR still isn't great (His name is Jungle Boy, not Jungle Jack.  Stop it.), but he worked better with Goldenboy.

Last thing: They really need to be careful about these long show.  I've heard them in interviews knock WWE for long shows and state they won't do that.  Well, by my count they just put on a five hour show.   Not exactly short.

Now, the show I liked more: NXT UK Takeover Cardiff.  It was a tight three hours that built to an awesome main event.  Cesaro showed up and did Cesaro things.  Tag Title match was so much fun with an very lively crowd cheering on their hometown boys.  And the main event was my favorite over the two shows.  Tyler Bate is only 22 and putting on matches like that.

If you chose AEW over Takerover, at least watch the main event.  Well, watch the amazing Target special they did first, then watch the main event.

Jericho's a legend - he's a walking car-wreck and his title match at All Out was easily the worst match on the card, but he's got eyes on the prize by shoot losing it, geting it back and launching a new meme over the process.

Hangman Page wouldn't have done either. Then again, he feels more like a Jericho c. 2000 - *close* to the title but not quite ready for the step up in the hierarchy. And yes, I remember Jericho having a night with the WWF belt before handing it back.

I never liked the Maria storyline, but WWE took it to a new level on Monday night with one specific line by Corey Graves. WWE does not need to co-opt the racially charged language of the Alt-Right in order to get this storyline over.

I mean, "beta male cuck?" Seriously?

At least they didn't have a black man be the father of Maria's baby, but still. Not cool. There's no need to go there.

I'm probably back to watching highlights on WWE's YouTube channel. Dropping Hulu because the only way to watch Smackdown now is with Live TV. Well, there's literally half the reason I subscribed in the first place.

I really want to like AEW's product, but something's keeping me at arm's length. And I hate to say it, I think it's Jericho. He was barely main event level throughout his WWE tenure, and his slightly sober Axl Rose act does nothing to endear himself to my sensibilities. Cody, Luchasaurus, and Dustin will get my time, but as long as Jericho and his crappy back elbow dominate the main event, I don't think the title scene will do much for me.

My way too early, over the top AEW reaction:  Meh.

Much like Mike, I have not been a fan Jericho post WWE.  But I also am not a fan of Cody (for many reasons), which hampers the entire thing.

Main thought from the first episode: where is the 'true alternative' that I kept hearing about?  Yeah, there was no wife drama or whatever Rusev is doing.  But the post match of the Women's Title match was straight out of bad TNA.  The main event was straight up stupid and focused a lot on ex-WWE guys. Including Dustin, which is whatever, but not really different than another 50+ year old guy in Goldberg showing up. 

Again, first show and I'm being obtuse, but still.

Kofi deserves better than to get jobbed out in one move. He was totally clowned.

Shame on WWE for this disrespect to one of their very few black champions, and shame on them for tossing Kofi aside immediately after jobbing him out.

I hope WWE loses tons of viewers over this. I am legitimately disgusted by this.