Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did my normal Monday listen to wrestling podcasts, specifically the ones post last weeks NXT.  And I was surprised to hear so much conversation about Tomasso Ciampa beating up a pair of pants.  Or rather pants that happen to be the same color as the Mexican flag.  And thus controversy.  Apparently.  Not once did that enter into my mind watching the episode.  I don't get it.

That surprised me too, but then I heard there's some racial tension in Full Sail Arena. The crowds, apparently, have been known to start racist chants. So when Ciampa attacked Angel Garza's Mexican flag-themed pants, it had a certain look to people who were aware of the racist crap at Full Sail.

• 2 weeks later...

In a totally foreseen problem, travel issues have arisen and most everybody is stuck in Saudi Arabia.  And the backup plan of sending 12 wrestlers back separately has also not gone well.  So now for Smackdown, which starts in about 3.5 hours as I type this, has Daniel Bryan, The Miz, Sami Zayn and the entire women's roster.

Much like the snowstorm RAW or the volcano RAW, it will be interesting how/what they do.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The final segment on Raw was amazing, sold ever so perfectly by Randy's range of emotions and the screaming in the crowd. After the emotional high of Edge's Rumble return, this was as equal a low. So good.

Next week I'm hoping Randy's explanation / motivation is that he had to destroy Edge for his own good. Though it might not have been on his own terms, Edge got out nine years ago. He's had a decade of quality time with his family. Why throw that away? Why come back? If done right, Randy could ride the "I did it for your own good" train.

I really hope not.  The last thing I want to see is Edge in a ladder match.  It is just not worth it.

I mean, he has cashed in twice and only won the match once.  There are ways around things if you want to go that route.

Kinda disappointed they are going the Randy route.  But, they'll have a nice, slow, safe, boring Randy Orton 2.75 star match.  I really don't need much more from Edge. 

On 1/28/2020 at 11:26 PM, Professor said:

I really hope not.  The last thing I want to see is Edge in a ladder match.  It is just not worth it.

Seconded.

I'm fine with a match with Orton at WM as that writes itself. Afterwards, Edge can get into other feuds without the need for MITB. Personally I want to see Edge/Bryan, even if Bryan's only recently turned face and they'd be boneheaded to turn Edge heel anytime soon. More realistically, I'm thinking Edge/Rollins, given the Authority angle with Rollins threatening to curb stomp him into paralysis when retired.

I'm at my first local fed show (North Wrestling) which involves Cultaholic's Tom Campbell as ring announcer/commentator and Botchamania's Maffew as co-commentator. Bought an early ticket, so I've just seen Tom host a warm-up quiz before the show starts in 10 minutes. 

14 hours ago, The Master said:

Awesome! Is this the promotion where he's gonna have a match soon?

No, that's a different promotion although the talent is very much the same. As it turns out, I'm busy that evening so I can't go and see it.

As for the evening itself, I felt at one with the audience - mostly overweight men in t-shirts with questionable grooming. Highligh was Eddie Kingston of TNA/ROH/CZW/PWG fame being in a No DQ match with the local Mick Foley-ish guy Rory Coyle and brawling right next to me in the crowd, to the extent that I saw the brutality of chops upfront before Kingston grabbed an empty beer can and twatted Coyle across the head with it. Coyle would ultimately win with a Samoa drop-esque move onto a VCR, having used VHS tapes as props during the match.

Everything else was basically solid. I briefly said hello to Tom in the nearby pub afterwards but after he advised someone else was getting his drinks in and as he had someone else to talk to, I withdrew, saying that I'd drop him a tweet instead (which he almost immediately responded to - what a guy!)