Random wrestling thoughts

I agree with this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/earth_2/status/1402075911265165313

There have been tag matches that have main evented some of the other "big four" shows - I am specifically thinking of Hogan's matches at SummerSlam - but WWE needs to build up the tag division to actually mean something first. Having two sets of tag belts does not help this effort.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And gave his gimmick to Alexa Bliss.

I like Wyatt's mind for the business, but WWE didn't book it as it needed for proper success (granted, as with most booking input from wrestlers, it involves lengthy winning streaks). I don't want to see him in AEW but I imagine he could do wonders in somewhere like Impact or NWA - ROH probably demand a higher workrate, although in the grand scheme of things, they should be lucky to get anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched his entrance at least a dozen times now and the whole thing three times, and it never stops giving me chills. Tony Khan just wholesale tore Chicago away from WWE. Oh they'll still run show and they'll sell out, but 1) WWE will never have a crowd that hot in Chicago (and they have had white-hot crowds here), and 2) now that Punk's in AEW, the prospect of him showing back up in WWE is dead and buried.

There are few moments in media where you can feel something shift. Last night was one of them. AEW already had its core audience, but the addition of Punk will surely bring in lapsed fans and people who were AEW-curious. Hopefully Vince & Co. see this and wake up. They don't have to treat AEW as competition, but they better realize a true player is on the stage and use this as an opportunity to get off their stagnant backsides.

• 5 weeks later...

Miro's had the TNT Title since May, and I keep thinking about who can beat him. Specifically, how that person will be absolutely made by beating him. With that in mind, I would love to see him enter a program with Jurassic Express. Specifically I'd have him absolutely merc Luchasaurus to the point of getting him off TV for a month or so, leaving it to Jungle Boy to defend himself and Marko Stunt -- and winning the title. Give him a short reign, then have him drop it to Malakai Black.

• 3 weeks later...

This tweet by @The Master is great.

https://twitter.com/earth_2/status/1447799840453369858

I can see why WWE wouldn't want to dredge up a 23 year old storyline that almost no one outside of the most hardcore fans remember, but it still would be fun to see.

(So long as that fan-service moment is done in a way that doesn't make Bron Breakker into a comedy heel.)

• 3 weeks later...

First, Ring of Honor announced that they would be going on hiatus for Q1 2022 after Final Battle 2021.

Seemed like a 'trying to figure out where we fit in the new wrestling landscape' type move.  Interest in the product took a nose dive after all the future AEW people left and NJPW distanced themselves after the joint MSG show.  Had a little buzz after re-signing their biggest remaining name to be head booker, but pandemic and Speaking Out scrapped all that and took interest to an all time low.

And then it is reported that all talent have been 'released' from their contracts. Released in quotes as they still have to finish out their ROH dates for the year, but can work wherever immediately.

That seems a bit more dire than initially thought.  Given how they responded to early covid times (retained and paid all talent throughout when not running shows), I figured this 'hiatus' was going to run more or less the same.  I was wrong.

Such a shame, but I understand.  Once they were the de facto #2 company in the US.  Now, they are fighting it out for, what, #5 if I'm being generous?  More realistically, probably closer to #7.  I don't know what they offer that is different enough to stand out in a crowded (and ever-growing) landscape.

They way I see it:  WWE is the #1, AEW is #2, and Impact is a distant #3.  I think that is pretty clear.

Next tier I'd place NWA & New Japan Strong as the #4 & #5.  Probably in that order, but razor thin line between the two.  Both have something different than the bigger three to have carved out an audience.

Then #6 & #7 would be MLW & ROH.  I have MLW ahead of ROH, moreso because I've heard more about MLW in the past year (Battle Riot, Opera Cup & the Lucha Underground stuff) than anything ROH has done. 

And that is kinda the sad part.  I listen to way too many wrestling podcasts each week.  I am subscribed to so many wrestling YouTube channels.  Yet, I think I've heard about them maybe twice in 2021.  And that includes yesterday.

As for GCW, they are on fire at the moment.  But a lack of a weekly show (plus lack of contracted talent) puts them in a different category for me.  They are the new PWG, more or less.  King of the Indies basically.

I haven't watched WWE in a while, so I am not sure when this happened.

But as over as Otis was, and as charismatic as he was, I cannot figure out why WWE would want to strip all of that away and make him a generic monster heel.

59 minutes ago, The Master said:

Vince hates people who get over on their own as much as he hates fat people, and Otis is both. So he de-pushed him.

This is why I hope AEW continues to grow and eventually poses a legitimate challenge to WWE. Maybe then WWE will avoid kneecapping their own talent (and losing the money they bring into the company) over stupid petty things.

Vince is seriously broken, and the lives / careers he's ruined are plenty. Look at all of the weird shit he put Rusev and Lana through because he simply wanted to break them up (if reports are true). He's a small, petty men who lives on a pile of cash.

• 1 month later...

Much like the PWI Female list going from 50 to 150 over the last 3 years, I am really happy that in this dumb little business a QWI can be created.  Not gonna pretend that I know most of these wrestlers, but the fact that the list is 200 deep is awesome.

https://www.outsports.com/2021/12/9/22823126/qwi-200-lgbtq-pro-wrestling-wwe-aew-roh-impact-gcw-gay-bi-lesbian-trans-pan-nonbinary-day-7-top-20

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am gonna echo what @Missy said here.

There may be some things you can look back to from the territory days and compare them favorably to today's product, but I am glad this "wild west" mentality is gone. It does not hurt the business to have people actually behave like professionals.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...