The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

Kind of out of nowhere here with this one, but I've got the iPod touch 1st generation. Everyone here probably knows that Apple came out with their new iphone software update a little while back. I figured screw that. I wasn't gonna pay for it cuz I didn't need any of the meager stuff they were offering. Anyway, all the sudden my itouch has been freezing up a lot. Tonight, I couldn't get to the home screen and I couldn't shut the damn thing off. The only thing that works is plugging it pack into my laptop and syncing it.

My question is, has anyone else been experiencing/experienced such problems?

Right now, I decided I'd reset it back to the factory settings through itunes. Gonna see if it fixes the problem. I just hope I don't have to buy the new update just to fix the problem.

Restoring it to factory settings might work. Also, did you try to hard reset it when it froze? (home button + power button for several seconds)

That's the normal response for freezes.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did try the home and power button first with no luck. It looks like restoring it to the factory settings has worked. It doesn't seem as sluggish as did before. Thanks guys.

No problem.

I was thinking, though, iPod products usually last for 2-3 years before they start getting technical problems, and the 1st-gen iPod touch is about two years old now. It's possible that your model just might be getting worn out. :/

I did try the home and power button first with no luck. It looks like restoring it to the factory settings has worked. It doesn't seem as sluggish as did before. Thanks guys.

No problem.

I was thinking, though, iPod products usually last for 2-3 years before they start getting technical problems, and the 1st-gen iPod touch is about two years old now. It's possible that your model just might be getting worn out. :/

It's ridiculous that things are just made to fail these days. Capitalism at its finest, I suppose.

It's ridiculous that things are just made to fail these days. Capitalism at its finest, I suppose.

I highly doubt that they're made to fail. iPods are some of the most advanced portable devices that the average consumer owns. The strain on the battery alone has to be immense. Hard drive-based iPods also had the problem of moving internal parts, as well.

Sometimes it's said that devices are "made to fail" because they essentially burn faster and better. Some old lightbulbs from the Edison era still work today, but that's because the filament they used was so thick and burned so slowly that, compared to today, their effectiveness is inversely proportional to their lifespan.

Just about any type of heavy-use device dies within a few years; I've always had to replace my cellphone every two years.

• 3 months later...

I think this will fall somewhere closer to the 'cube' than the 'iPod' in terms of success of Apple products. I have an iPhone and I just can't see a reason why I would want the same thing 8 times bigger.

I'd also bet that the release of the tablet/slate isn't the biggest piece of news that Apple have tomorrow. They have a great history of making the 'media' watch the left hand while the right hand plans something bigger.

What's this thing for again?

It's a giant iPod Touch, with enough power that it almost simulates a some of the capabilities of a real computer.

For the price, it's not bad. I'll put it on my Amazon wish list and hope that someone with money buys it for me.

Alright, I personally don't see the point in it. But, that's just me. Your right, the price isn't too bad for what it is.