Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Detective Comics #853 - I was lukewarm on the first part of "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?", but the second issue pulled through. Good stuff. Not as good as Morrison's run, but still good. Andy Kubert was born to draw Batman.

Total

Comic Books: 49

TPBs: 11

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 1

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-3, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Detective Comics #853, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Irredeemable #1, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20-23, Ruins, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, X-Force #11

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts during Earth-2.net: The Show 313

Gambit Classics, volume 1

Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, volume 12: Jumping to Conclusions

Hellboy, volume 1: Seed of Destruction

Total

Comic books: 7

Trade paperbacks: 32

Graphic novels: 1

I swear to God, if I hear one bad thing about Seed of Destruction, I'll be on your doorstep, Sims.

Hey, Dan reviewed it too. Why am I the only one being threatened?

Assaulting the elderly is too unseemly, even for me. :P

I swear to God, if I hear one bad thing about Seed of Destruction, I'll be on your doorstep, Sims.

Hey, Dan reviewed it too. Why am I the only one being threatened?

Assaulting the elderly is too unseemly, even for me. :P

Don't make me put down my Cream of Wheat and shuffle on over there.

Planetary #1 - Picked up the $1 issue when I stopped by the LCS this week. It didn't blow me away, but it was quite interesting. When I get the chance, I'll pick up the first trade and see if I really get into it. John Casaday's art was great, though since I'm used to his Astonishing X-Men work, the coloring took a little getting used to.

Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe - This was awesome. How awesome you ask? Loki brings about Ragnarok by performing in a band before all of Asgard, after being inspired by listening to The Clash.

Total

Comic Books: 51

TPBs: 11

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 1

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5-6, Agents of Atlas #1-3, Ambush Bug Stocking Stuffer, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10-13, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5, Batman #684-686, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1-3, Criminal Vol. 2-3 TPB, Detective Comics #853, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6-7, Four Eyes #2, Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe, The Goon #31-32, Green Lantern #36-38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8-12, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Irredeemable #1, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20-23, Planetary #1, Ruins, Seaguy: The Slaves of Mickey Eye #1, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1-4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, X-Force #11

I got civil war for £8.

I thought I'd give it a shot as I was interested in the concept and wanted to try something new.

Well, that was a waste of time.

It looks pretty, but at the end of the day the story

becomes a moot point, the good guys give up to the good guys and Stark gets what he wants. Stark came across as a prick throughout this and seeing him win and become the boss at SHIELD seemed like Millar was just sticking his middle finger up to the audience, again!

All in all, very blah and means nothing to me.

Get it for the art and forget the story and dialogue and scenes as it seems like that's what Millar did.

For anyone who enjoyed/enjoys civil war, this is just my opinion, if you enjoy it, great, as having different opinions is great.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight - Hadn't read this one in ages! Although the MSRP is now nearly than triple the $3.95 I originally paid for it, that's still a bargain. What I found most impressive about it this time around is how much story Augustyn and Mignola fit into such a short amount of space. This is an entire trade's worth of plot development smashed into a novel that's scarcely bigger than two single issues, but it doesn't feel hurried, rushed or any shorter than it needs to be. The concept of a Victorian Batman works even better than you'd expect, although he only appears in-costume for a few short scenes. Though I wasn't entirely taken by the whole Bats vs. Jack the Ripper dynamic, it's refreshing to see a one-shot Bruce Wayne period piece with only a fleeting mention of the Joker, so kudos for that. And Mignola, naturally, is Mignola. This came fairly early in his career, so his work isn't quite as refined as it later became, but I wouldn't trust these characters in this era to any other artist and he delivers. A very solid book, good for a short afternoon's entertainment, that doesn't overstay its welcome.

8/10

Daredevil #118 - I'm not really sure what to say about that issue. Brubaker had me hooked on his run almost from the word go, but these last two arcs have really let me down. It's tough to root for a guy when he's interested in nothing more than constantly digging himself into a deeper hole, and that's all Matt's been doing for the last few years. Which isn't exactly new... in fact, it seems like that's been a golden ticket to surefire success on this title over the years. But where Miller, Bendis and even Kevin Smith succeeded by dragging Murdock through the wringers, Brubaker is stumbling. I think it's because he's robbed the character of his vigor. Matt just doesn't care any more, so watching him fall further and further into trouble is starting to seem like whipping the handicapped. We've got some serious potential in the machinations behind the scenes here, especially considering the bombshell Foggy drops midway through this month, but it's all being lost on an unrewarding main plotline. The mix-and-match artists of this arc really aren't working, either. Call this disappointing through and through.

4/10

Ex Machina#41 - Well, that was quite the cold open. I've been lukewarm to this series for quite a while, but the opening dialog this month was just what I was waiting for. Finally we've got some direction, both inside and outside the mayor's office, and I'm anxious to see how it all plays out. I also can't imagine Mayor Hundred is nearly as naive about January's real intentions as Vaughan is making it seem, although he does have some kind of penchant for writing innocent, gullible male leads so who really knows. Tony Harris has been solid on this series from the start, and shows no signs of relenting now. It's nice when your patience with a slow series finally pays off.

8/10

New Avengers #52 - I'll be honest: I've never been a fan of Dr. Strange. I know the guy has his share of support, but I've just never been any less than completely turned off by the whole "mystic arts" corner of the Marvel Universe. My eyes glaze over, I have to read speech bubbles three or four times over just to get the jist; it's almost a chore to get through. So, naturally I'm not all that taken by this arc, which focuses almost entirely on Strange's search for a successor. It's a different angle on the subject, with the Doc stepping down as Sorceror Supreme of his own volition, but I simply cannot get into it. On the visual side, Chris Bachalo's guest-spots aren't quite as good here as they were last month, but they still bring the right emotions to the right places. Sadly, Billy Tan is also providing artwork for this series, and he remains disgracefully bad. I think Ms. Marvel had six cheekbones in one panel. This is not my cup of tea.

3/10

Also, two contributions to IIWY? this week: DMZ #41 and The Walking Dead #60.

Comics: 74, TPB: 5, Graphic Novel: 1

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1-Picked this up to see if I'd be interested in the trade. Nope, I won't. This is poorly written. There is very little cohesion between main story and flashback. It starts in the present and everyone says "what the fuck just happened?" Then they flashback to a character mentioned by the villain and boom. It ends. Lame. Mat Broome's art is the only saving grace but, alas, not graceful enough. 2/10

Vigilante #1-Rick Leonardi and Marv Wolfman? Had to give this a shot. It's kind of pain-by-numbers, and to be fair i was in a shit mood when I read it, but it had a great ending. I wasn't intrigued enough to buy monthly but I'll most likely be grabbing the trade when it comes out. 6.5/10

Fantastic Four #558-564-I am LOVING Millar and Hitch's run on FF. The first four issues of this run has Doom getting Reed's help, new heroes from the future whose identities will surprise you and an ending that fucks with your head as much as it does Reed's. The next three issues feature a family vacation to a Scottish village over Christmas with sinister leanings. Plus there are flashes to the Masters of Doom (who are fucking shit up across all of creation). Love the plot developments with Valeria Richards and her and Franklin's interplay is very realistic. Of course, the art is brilliant. It's a little less detailed than Hitch's usual but he's basically making a monthly book that looks a lot like The Ultimates did. His facial expressions are some of the best in the business. 8.5/10

Total

Comic books: 119

Trade paperbacks: 4

Graphic novels: 0

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564

Green Arrow year 1.

I like Green arrow and this is a nice year one story and the art is nice, though I got through it in about 45 minutes, so best to read it in borders if you have time to kill.

Still it is good and my only real gripe is that the villians end came round so fast to me.

The Walking Dead vol. 3. Dear god, this series just keeps getting better and better.

Criminal vol. 4. It’s a series I can’t get enough of. Ending felt a little rushed, and whilst I like the artwork it’s still way too inconsistent. Still, I’m really enjoying these stories.

Scott Pilgrim vol. 4 & 5. They really ramp up the drama and tension for the second last book. It sucks that the final book won’t be released until 2010.

Harbinger: The Beginning-thoughts later this week.

Total

Comic books: 119

Trade paperbacks: 5

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning

DMZ #41: As a brief look at Zee, this issue mostly works. I'd rather it were a two-part story, if only to help us better understand why she made the decision she did at the end, but it's still a strong character-driven tale. The art was a tad too cartoony for this kind of story, and I never felt like it nailed Zee's face quite right. Sometimes she has sharp, defined features, but other times she's mushy and distorted. The violence isn't served well, either, but the book looks okay overall.

Out of 10: 7

Total

Comic books: 8

Trade paperbacks: 32

Graphic novels: 1

Batman:chronichles volume 1.

Well it was a nice, the art was good, but the story and dialogue have aged really badly and I actually had a sigh of relief when i finished this, I then looked at my shelf and noticed I had Volumes 2-5 still to read.

The storys get a lot better when Robin is introduced, but I really just wasn't enjoying this as much as I should have.

Simon Dark #10-17-Walking Dead has a new contender to best horror book. 9/10

Total

Comic books: 127

Trade paperbacks: 5

Jan 01-Apr 21=105 comics, 4 TPBs...Joker's Asylum: Two-Face, Joker's Asylum: Poison Ivy, Joker's Asylum: Scarecrow, Joker's Asylum: Penguin, Joker's Asylum: Joker, Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1, Vigilante #1, Fantastic Four #558-564, Harbinger: The Beginning, Simon Dark #10-17

Green Lantern #40: ...I clearly need to stop liking characters. Because every character I end up liking, even if they're passing characters, die. oO Lots of revelation makes the mechanics of the Orange ring and how the Corps is what it is. Looking forward to the fight next month.

Secret Six #6: 666. Lulz.

Scandal and Jeanette continue to be made of goddamn amazing, especially with Jeanette's backstory. The random appearance of Scar didn't really make sense, but it provided nice background and setup.

Secret Six #8: They changed artists this month, and it shows. Art isn't as good as it's been in previous months, and was kind of a turn off; however, Scott and Hazlewood are back next month, thank God.

A nice little sidestory; double date with Scandal and Liana and Jeanette and Blake, and it's a fun little side story. Also, Insignificus is made of awesome. :P Fun Tiny Titans shoutout with Ragdoll's dream. Power Girl backup in this, too, it's annoying and needs to go away.

Thunderbolts #131: Last part of the Magnum Opus arc, my first real encounter with the series. I like the art style. Most of the book is a big fight scene with banter from Deadpool and Taskmaster, nothing too extraordinary. However, the last few pages of the book are pretty well done, and have Deadpool having his comedic timing at its best.

I'd love to see more Deadpool/Black Widow. Could be fun.

Comic Books: 39

TPBs: 19

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1