Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Adventure Comics #0 - Even though I have the Showcase Presents trade, it was cool to read the first Legion story in color. The back up, and what I've read from interviews, has me interested in the upcoming Adventure Comics relaunch. I'll definitely check out the first issue.

Agents of Atlas #1 - Loved the original mini-series, but was a bit worried going into this as it tied into Dark Reign. The Dark Reign aspect was handled really well I thought and the cliffhanger was good. Plus, a guy got eaten by a dragon. Definitely sticking with it for the long run.

Astounding Wolf-Man #12 - Okay issue, didn't really grab me. I was thinking about dropping this, but the teasers have me onboard for a few more issues.

Batman #685 - If I read Detective Comics regularly, I probably would have cared. Since I don't, this was worthless.

Batman #686 - It was alright.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1 - It was cool that they kept the teaser/main story formula of the cartoon, but this was missing something. I'll stick with it for a few more issues as it looks like they have some interesting stories lined up.

Criminal Vol. 2 and 3 TPB - If Walking Dead is the best comic being published, Criminal is #2. I haven't read Sleeper yet (I'll be ordering the Season 1 trade), but this has to be the best thing Brubaker's written. And Sean Philips' art kicks ass too.

Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery - This was a pretty good Doctor Who story. My only problem with it was the art. Templesmith's usual stuff was great, but when we got a close up of The Doctor or Martha, it was very much photoshopped images of the actors' faces. That was a bit jarring, but other than that, it was pretty solid.

Four Eyes #2 - It's about underground dragon fights in New York during the Great Depression. Buy this book!

Green Lantern #38 - Still the best superhero title around. More developments toward Blackest Night and the promise of Sinestro having an ongoing storyline within the title. The ending with Hal made me think of this.

Guardians of The Galaxy #9 - Lots of happenings in the Negative Zone and an interesting storyline for Adam Warlock.

Guardians of The Galaxy #10 - Last month's Nova issue felt off to me, this time it was the Guardians' turn. The art was still good, but the writing felt off to me. Hoping that it picks up as War of Kings begins.

Nova #22 - Big improvement over last month. A couple of nice reveals and an interesting cliffhanger. Hopefully last issue was just a rough patch.

War of Kings: Darkhawk #1 - Didn't care much for this one at all. Everything's going to shit for Darkhawk, and if the ending plays out, maybe a bit too much. If I had more investment in the character, I might have been more interested.

Total

Comic Books: 36

TPBs: 10

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 1

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5, Agents of Atlas #1, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Astounding Wolf-Man #12, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Batman #685, Batman #686, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1, Criminal Vol. 2 TPB, Criminal Vol. 3 TPB, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, Final Crisis #7, Four Eyes #2, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Green Lantern #37, Green Lantern #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Guardians of The Galaxy #9, Guardians of The Galaxy #10, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Nova #21, Nova #22, Ruins, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, X-Force #11

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age of The Sentry #6 - ...what the FUCK just happened? I'm so glad this is finally over. I wouldn't say this was the worst comic I've ever read-I did read Countdown after all-but it certainly is the most disappointing.

Astounding Wolf-Man #13 - Backstory revealed, present plot moved forward, and a "oh SHIT" last page. Yeah, this was a great issue. Can't believe I thought about dropping it.

Batman: The Brave and The Bold #2 - The Batman/Superman teaser at the beginning was great. Straight out of the Silver Age, down to the costume swapping. The main story was better than the one in the first issue, but still not up to the cartoon. You know what I think the problem is? Batman. They're playing him as the comedy partner instead of the straight man. Also, I gotta say, I miss Batman's internal monologue.

Total

Comic Books: 39

TPBs: 10

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5, Age of The Sentry #6, Agents of Atlas #1, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Astounding Wolf-Man #12, Astounding Wolf-Man #13, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Batman #685, Batman #686, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #2, Criminal Vol. 2 TPB, Criminal Vol. 3 TPB, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, Final Crisis #7, Four Eyes #2, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Green Lantern #37, Green Lantern #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Guardians of The Galaxy #9, Guardians of The Galaxy #10, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Nova #21, Nova #22, Ruins, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, X-Force #11

Batman: Cacophany part 3.

Loved it and loved onomatopeia and the ending was a lot different from your usual ending to a comic which was nice.

The bit between sane joker and Batman was great and was really entertaining, the art for this mini has been alright, nothing spectacular but it got the job done.

If you haven't picked up cacophany, then you should as it is a really fun mini that had a terrible start, but a good end and onomatopeia is as in his last appearance, awesome.

Battle for the cowl: Gotham gazette: Batman Dead.

Remember when I said I wasn't doing tie-ins again, well this is the reason.

Different artists drew different short storys of people in Gotham(The returning Vicki Vale, Harvey bullock, leslie thompkins) and it was written by the former Robin writer Fabien Nicieza and was just a way to make money from battle for the cowl, in other words skip it or flip through it in the shop as you'll not really give a shit.

The art is nice, but really nothing happens and you don't really care and I can sum it up for you right here and now: Batman's gone, Gotham has gone to shit.

Also, I saw that Superman: Brainiac was out and was considering getting it, but don't know if it would be worth it. I'm not a big superman fan but like the premise of the story and was wondering if anyone read the monthlys and would recommmend it?

Also, I saw that Superman: Brainiac was out and was considering getting it, but don't know if it would be worth it. I'm not a big superman fan but like the premise of the story and was wondering if anyone read the monthlys and would recommmend it?

Though I wasn't crazy about the last chapter, the overall story is excellent and well worth the price of admission!

I finished the Planetary Crossing Worlds TPB and it was very very disappointing especially considering how good the actual series is. There are three Planetary crossover specials. The first one and the worst one involves the Authority and it involves the two teams taking on a common threat but never actually crossing paths. While the crossover captured the spirit of the Authority, I a) didn't like the Authority in the first place and b) it didn't really capture the spirit of the Planetary series. It was a loud confusing mess like most of The Authority was, but lots of pretty explosions were involved so it's not completely irredeemable. The second one is an elseworlds crossover with JLA (mainly Batman/Supes/and Wonder Woman), it's an interesting and risky take on what happens if Planetary organization got power hungry and how they could be taken down but again most of the focus is on JLA and it doesn't capture the spirit of the Planetary series. It's quite fun to see the Trinity face off against the Planetary 3. The best story of the bunch is the crossover with Batman, it's set in the Planetary-verse and it's a rather intriguing take with a revolving universe of Batmans. It's captured both the spirit of Planetary books and the Batman books at the same time without sacrificing the other. It's a really fun adventure and probably the only one worth looking at.

Overall the book as a whole is disappointing, but the JLA and Batman crossovers are worth a look if you've already got all of the regular Planetary series. 7/10

Next up: Planetary Issues 19-26.

Total:

Comic books: 0

Trade paperbacks: 11

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1 and 2, The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power), Batman: Year One, Batman: The Long Halloween, Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories) vol. 2 (The Fourth Man) and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials)

The Walking Dead 54 and 55-this book is the tits. Three more til I'm caught up.

Total

Comic books: 46

Trade paperbacks: 1

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46, Daredevil #111, Daredevil #112, Daredevil #113, Daredevil #114, Daredevil #115, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #1, Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1, Green Lantern #38, The Walking Dead #54, The Walking Dead #55

Went on a major comic buying spree yesterday. Yay for paychecks!

Death: The High Cost of Living 2-3: Sexton becomes a lot less annoying in these issues, which I'm beyond thankful for. I'm not really sure about how I feel about introducing the Emerite in the second and third issues; the story seems more about Sexton, Didi, and Mad Hettie than it does him being randomly added in, and even his part of the plot seems kind of pointless. But I like the overall resolution, and the conclusions Didi leads Sexton to. Also, got to see more of Hazel and Foxglove, which definitely helped with understanding Death: The Time of Your Life.

Death: The Time of Your Life 2: Okay, at least we get the background on Foxglove/Hazel, courtesy of her conversations with Death, which I appreciate. More insight on Foxglove's current psychological state, with Larry's death and the ensuing events. Kind of wondering where this is going, really.

Green Lantern 29 - 31: First venture into the Green Lantern universe, here. And I like what I'm seeing. Hal seems like an intriguing person, and getting introduced to the rest of the Corps and all the background/mythos is definitely a good place to start for me. Need to find the rest of this arc and get caught up.

Green Lantern 37: ...Okay, I have no idea what's going on in this one. But I think I like it.

So, Red Lanterns are the ones that run on rage, and they're more or less the bad guys, and it's bad that Hal's been chosen as one, right? And Yellow's fear, and Sinestro's one of them (I already knew from other stuff that he was kind of a villain)? What's Blue represent? @.@

Deadpool 8: Deadpool and his inner banter happily provide background on anything I might've missed going from #1 to #8. Banter as explosions and inner hallucinations are fun. And now the Thunderbolts are apparently going to try and take him down in the next Thunderbolts issue. This should get interesting.

Lucifer 57-59, 68, 74:

Lots of Mazikeen and Lilith, Jill Presto suddenly being pregnant, and Elaine getting godly powers and figuring out how to use them/create worlds. 68 is a neat argument between God, Lilith and Elaine as to whether or not the first should keep Creation or extinguish it, all while Lucifer is fighting Fenris, the god of destruction. And 74 is the penultimate chapter, which is a fun bar outing with all the females and Elaine wrapping up all the loose ends.

Comic Books: 16

TPBs: 16

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

Green Lantern: faces of evil issue.

Was avoiding green lantern as it seemed to be in the middle of something hard to get into, but picked this up for something to read, enjoyed it, the art was nice and the ending made sense to a new reader.

Teen Titans: Judas contract.

I wanted to read more about deathstroke and this was what I wanted, it told the origin of slade in not too much detail and was really interesting and was all round good.

The last issue was actually long enough and I thought it would have ended sooner but it didn't and lasted just long enough. I'm done looking for deathstorke stuff now, I'm happy with what I know now.

Pick this up and compare it to the episodes of teen titans as it really is good and with at least a flip through in the shop.

Though not worth more than £15 I paid.

Next on my list is Superman: Brainiac.

Though I am not a superman fan, I really liked the idea of this and am going to start reading it right now.

Superman: Brainiac hardcover.

Read this in one quick sitting, it was a good story, good art, though wasn't as big story wise as I was hoping.

I thought it was a good idea the Superman meeting the real brainiac, but it was so off handed with superman then going off to fight him and so on.

It was half a good story, but then went off into the new krypton thing in the last bit and the ending with the twist was really shit.

Pick up the soft cover if you want this as the hardcover looks nice, but not a "Must buy" trade.

Also does anyone else see Margot Kidder in this picture?

I actually said out loud when reading this "Oh look, Margot Kidder"

Daredevil #116 - Return of the King(pin). Not at all what I was expecting, but for the first three quarters of the issue I really didn't care. It was strangely compelling to take in this human side to a character that's long been known as cold, monstrous and impenetrable, but Brubaker's been working on that indirectly since he took the reigns, starting with the arc surrounding Fisk's wife. I kept reading and hoping it wouldn't end as predictably as I'd imagined it might, and in the end it... did and it didn't. When I closed that back cover, I felt like I'd been listening to a musical arrangement that had built and built and built, and just when it was ready to climax, the whole orchestra quit playing and walked off the stage. Should I burst into applause or awkwardly gather my things and head for the doors? I have no idea where they go from here, but I'll be around to find out. No Murdock appearances this month, btw.

7/10

Also, two contributions to IIWY?: Savage Dragon #145 and Youngblood #8

Comics: 42, TPB: 5

Secret Warriors #2 - I'm not sure if this needs spoiler tagged or what, but

SHIELD WAS A SECRET BRANCH OF HYDRA!?!!!!? It was cool to see all the Hydra head honchos, and Strucker was his usual badass self. (Though how many times has he died now? Damn.)

It's a cool book, with both new heroes and Nick Fury's usual kickassness. Still, I'm hesitant about

the resurrection of The Gorgon. It always seemed to me that the Wolvie guys wrote themselves into a corner with him, having created a guy who was unbeatable except by bullshit stolen from Greek myth.

Deadpool #8 - I love Deadpool but I always hated Bob the HYDRA agent. Dumb character to me. Deadpool vs. The Thunderbolts? I thought they were the Dark Avengers now? Deadpool should totally be an Avenger.

Green Lantern 33: Okay, so I'm probably missing some context here, but, hey, it's still followable (Powerhouse didn't carry 32).

Hector Hammond apparently went all telekinetic psychic insane on Jordan, and Sinestro saves his ass. They fly off to Abin Sur's crash site, and we find out that apparently the Guardians originally created artificial soldiers for the police force, until they went and had the machine logic conclusion that there could only be order if they got rid of all life and kinda massacred a whole sector. The five survivors of the sectors became a terrorist cell that tried to kill the Guardians, and they're looking to use the Black, which'll be found on Earth, against them. And apparently one of them was on the ship with Abin Sur.

And survived.

...Well, shit.

Atrocitus goes off and attacks this creepy Asian kid that apparently has the gateway to the Black, and Sinestro and Hal try to stop him, and drain their rings. And that's where the issue leaves off.

...Have I mentioned that I really need to find the rest of this?

Green Lantern 38: Holy. Shit.

So, Hal goes from Red to Blue in the space of way too short a time, and he seems to be oscillating between the Blue and the Green at the end of his part of the episode. And one of the Blues openly admits that he didn't know what the hell he was doing to Hal when he stuck the blue ring on him. ...What do you bet this fucks him up something awful?

John shows up, I'm not really sure who he is, but I like him.

Also, apparently the Corps are in the process of tearing each other apart over succession?

Orange is apparently showing up next issue. This should be interesting.

...And may I just say that the Star Sapphire outfits are FAAABULOUS? And they're all women (please don't make them into manhaters)? Oh, and Carol's one of them now. oO

And apparently one of the Guardians is writing the book for the Blackest Night with black emo tears of prophecy?

Want next month's now, plz.

Comic Books: 18

TPBs: 16

Graphic Novels: 2

Motion Comic: 1

Battle for the cowl issue 1: Alright, but nothing special reminds me of the last issues of Robin as he is the narrator. When i got to the end of this issue, all I said was "Well, that was underwhelming"

Green Lantern Corps Issue 34: First time reading this after hitting a winner with green lantern and when I started this I was lost and expected it to suck, but unlike battle for the cowl this actually started out slow but got a lot better till right at the end I wanted to read more.

Off topic slightly, but the $3.99 has claimed a victim for Marvel with me, I saw a short collection of comics issues punisher vs Wolverine, Iron Man 2099 and something else, normally I would take a chance on it but when i skimmed through it I didn't like the art style and felt £3.20 was way too much to pay for a chance on something with art that does nothing for me and I would never want to read again. At least battle for the cowl was 40 pages, true it had way too many ads taking you out of the story.

The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB - This was both my first time reading a Top Cow comic and reading a Darkness comic. It was awesome. Even though I'd never read The Darkness before, the book did a great job of explaining what Jackie's all about. Phil Hester's not only a great artist, but he's a damn fine writer too. Michael Broussard's art perfectly fit the story, intestines and all. Buy this book people. Not only is it a 144 page trade paperback for $5, but it also kicks ass.

Total

Comic Books: 39

TPBs: 11

Adventure Comics #0, Age of The Sentry #5, Age of The Sentry #6, Agents of Atlas #1, Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Astounding Wolf-Man #12, Astounding Wolf-Man #13, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Batman #685, Batman #686, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #1, Batman: The Brave and The Bold #2, Criminal Vol. 2 TPB, Criminal Vol. 3 TPB, The Darkness Accursed Vol. 1 TPB, Doctor Who: The Whispering Gallery, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, Final Crisis #7, Four Eyes #2, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Green Lantern #37, Green Lantern #38, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Guardians of The Galaxy #9, Guardians of The Galaxy #10, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Nova #21, Nova #22, Ruins, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Super Friends #11, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Superman Beyond #2, Vimanarama TPB, War of Kings: Darkhawk #1, X-Force #11

R.E.B.E.L.S #2-Great new series from DC. I love it and I loooove Vril Dox. I'm grabbing this in trades. Who wants the first two issues? Paypal me $5 and they're your's. 8/10

Green Lantern Corps #34-Best issue I've read of any series this year. Fucking intense. Tomasi handles this massive cast beautifully. This series will be even more important next year people. Hop on. Mongul versus Arkillo is maybe the best comic fight of the past several years. 10/10

Total

Comic books: 48

Trade paperbacks: 1

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1, Final Crisis #7, Final Crisis Revelations #5, Faces of Evil: Kobra Oneshot, 1st Issue Special #1, 1st Issue Special #5, 1st Issue Special #6, Amazing Spider-Man #584, Dark Avengers #1, Elephantmen #15, Hellblazer #251, War Machine #2, The Mighty A #1, Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy Oneshot, Green Lantern Corps #33, Jersey Gods #1, R.E.B.E.Ls #1, Batman #682, Batman #683, Batman #684, Batman #685, Captain America #44, Captain America #45, Captain America #46, Daredevil #111, Daredevil #112, Daredevil #113, Daredevil #114, Daredevil #115, Hotwire: Requiem for the Dead #1, Batman: The Brave and the Bold #1, Green Lantern #38, The Walking Dead #54, The Walking Dead #55, R.E.B.E.L.S #2, Green Lantern Corps #34

I randomly pulled five floppies from one of my boxes and read them today, some very different stuff.

X-Force #58: Jeph Loeb and Adam Pollina

Any issue with the subtitle on the cover reading "Too Many Deadpools" has my interest in spades. Siryn and that piece of shit Shatterstar are raiding some compound searching for Richtor and Warpath. They find a very tortured, and crazier than usual Wade Wilson. Warpath is off nailing some chick on motorcycle, or something. The art is Liefeld-ian in some panels, but not overly terrible. This story doesn't feel like Loeb's usual quality. Even Deadpool can't save this one, though Theresa is pretty well written throughout.

2/5

The Immortal Iron Fist #1: Ed Brubaker/Matt Fraction and David Aja

What an opening issue. Brubaker and Fraction write a spectacular story that draws you into the world, and David Aja even manages to make Hydra *look* menacing. Rand is spectacular to look at in action, and Aja's art captures the grit that most Bru stories drip. If only the book had stayed this good.

4/5

Fantastic Four Unlimited #9: Roy Thomas and Herb Trimpe:

The. Drizzling. Shits.

Dear god. For one, they're the Fantastic Three, because Reed is dead or some shit. (This wouldn't bother me so much, but they straight up go out of the way to say that even though Ant-Man fights with them, and handles all of Reed's tech duties... HE'S NOT ON THE FUCKING TEAM.) For two, everyone's costume has gone full on retarded. Susan is wearing something that looks like it's one good nudge from two free titties hanging out the side, and Thor (guest starring) looks somehow more ridiculous than usual. Sort of like a Nordic gay S&M Doll. The Fantastic Four and Scott Lang (Ant-Man II, the burglar, not the wife beater or the failed SHIELD agent. Why are the Ant-Men always assholes?), go fight some... Army guys? in the subway, and Scott goes off alone. When he comes back he starts acting strange, and kidnaps Susan, before turning into a giant Ant Monster. Ben and Johnny recruit Thor, who was chilling with the High Evolutionary's most failed expirement: The Godpack. Thor and his League of 90's stereotypes go fight Scott and some giant bugs, and save Susan from being turned into a giant bug.

The art sucks. The story sucks, and Susan isn't even good too look at, because she has enough muscles to make Jennifer Walters jealous.

0/5

Generation X: #62: Jay Faerber and Matt Smith/Nelson DeCastro/Yancy Labat/Darren Auck

A mostly inoffensive "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" spoof starring Monet. Art's good, story is fine. I'm a little disappointed that Chamber isn't in the issue, but it's forgivable. Monet is usually lucky to be in a team book, because she's nowhere nearly likable enough to be protagonist on her own.

3/5

X-Factor: #111: John Francis Moore/Todd Dezago and Jan Duursema

This issue is notable for two things, it's the last issue of X-Factor before the Age of Apocalypse and it has a full page ad for the live action Street Fighter movie on the inside cover. If you close it just right, it looks like Raul Julia is nestling his face into Strong Guy's massive, hard pectorals. Woo.

Strong Guy is probably my favorite "Minor" X-Character ever (Deadpool isn't minor!), and this issue is a lot of why. He kicks a ton of ass while in incredible amounts of pain because his old friend/flame, Lila Chaney, managed to piss off some Aliens. Guido suffers for his friends, and of course hides it with his quipping wit the whole way. Not a great issue by any means, but a fun read if you dig Guido.

3/5

Planetary 19-26: This series is insane. Ellis was able to make a comic book that pays homage to all genres of film, literature, and comic book lore. All that along with creating genuine new characters and an overall arc of the world. It feels so real that you actually start to think that the shit in this book exists, but at the same time the book never decreases the fun quotient. This particular group takes on some western legends, the concept of the alien, more James Bond/Nick Fury homages along with really fleshing out the history of the four and the Drummer character. 10/10

Total:

Comic books: 8

Trade paperbacks: 11

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1 and 2, The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power), Batman: Year One, Batman: The Long Halloween, Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories) vol. 2 (The Fourth Man) and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials), Planetary 19-26